Flight to Space Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight to Space Poll

The guy who paid $28 million to fly with Bezos on the maiden voyage of New Shephard 62 miles up in the air has chickened out and may take a raincheck. It got me thinking--I'd love to do this, if I could, and there is no way I'd back out after ponying up 28 mil, buuut, I wouldn't have bid it in the first place, as I have young kids, and I don't think I could justify the risk just to do something I'd love to do. And the risk is substantial. This flight is the maiden voyage, and will just cross the boundary into what is generally considered space. From the article, "around 1% of all U.S. human spaceflights have involved a fatal accident....It’s about 10,000 times more dangerous than flying on a commercial airliner."

So, the question--would you take this flight, if you could? Would you do it it you were, on any given day the richest person on the planet and could do just about anything else you wanted at any time for the rest of your life? Would you be more or less inclined to do it if you have 200 billion in walking around money?
    I would, billionaire or just me now
    0%
    I would as poor me, but if I had Bezos money I'd have too much to lose
    0%
    I would if I didn't have a family that relied on me
    0%
    helll no, I'm not doing anything with a 1 in 100 chance of dying
    0%

Originally posted by Sour Masher
    The guy who paid $28 million to fly with Bezos on the maiden voyage of New Shephard 62 miles up in the air has chickened out and may take a raincheck. It got me thinking--I'd love to do this, if I could, and there is no way I'd back out after ponying up 28 mil, buuut, I wouldn't have bid it in the first place, as I have young kids, and I don't think I could justify the risk just to do something I'd love to do. And the risk is substantial. This flight is the maiden voyage, and will just cross the boundary into what is generally considered space. From the article, "around 1% of all U.S. human spaceflights have involved a fatal accident....It’s about 10,000 times more dangerous than flying on a commercial airliner."

So, the question--would you take this flight, if you could? Would you do it it you were, on any given day the richest person on the planet and could do just about anything else you wanted at any time for the rest of your life? Would you be more or less inclined to do it if you have 200 billion in walking around money?
    I'd wait until i'm a bit older...unless I could push Bezos out into space. That would be worth the risk
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      I'd wait until i'm a bit older...unless I could push Bezos out into space. That would be worth the risk
      I'll just leave this here for you: https://www.change.org/p/the-proleta...eturn-to-earth

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        How do you feel about his ex? It seems like she has done 100s of times more good with her split of his money since their divorce than he has done in his lifetime. She seems hellbent on giving a good chunk of it away in targeted donations she feels does the most good. She became one of the top 20 richest people in the world after the divorce, but it looks like she is trying hard (or harder than most other billionaires) to fall out of that ranking. I don't really know her, but she seems like she really was his better half.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          ha...I'd heard about that.
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            How do you feel about his ex? It seems like she has done 100s of times more good with her split of his money since their divorce than he has done in his lifetime. She seems hellbent on giving a good chunk of it away in targeted donations she feels does the most good. She became one of the top 20 richest people in the world after the divorce, but it looks like she is trying hard (or harder than most other billionaires) to fall out of that ranking. I don't really know her, but she seems like she really was his better half.
            I have seen some clickbait headlines, but haven't really read anything about her. Hopefully she does some good with her opportunity
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Oh hell yes I would.
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

yeah, the poll is missing "I would as poor me, but if I had Bezos money I'd be spending it on helping people and not a vanity project of trying to duplicate something inefficient governments did 60 years ago."
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                  Oh hell yes I would.
                  Same. And I've probably done a lot of other things that probably had a 1 in 100 chance of killing me that would have nowhere near the return.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    Same. And I've probably done a lot of other things that probably had a 1 in 100 chance of killing me that would have nowhere near the return.
                    Like daring to meet up with GITH, for example...

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                      Like daring to meet up with GITH, for example...
                      Keep the doors to your SUV locked...
                      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        same.. if it's a simple question of risk vs experience, I'm all in. Controller Jacobs has already declared that I am dying by misadventure someday.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                          same.. if it's a simple question of risk vs experience, I'm all in. Controller Jacobs has already declared that I am dying by misadventure someday.
                          If you bring the wrong Door Dash meal to someone, god help you.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                            If you bring the wrong Door Dash meal to someone, god help you.
                            that's door dash's problem. I'm just a guy with a car.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                              yeah, the poll is missing "I would as poor me, but if I had Bezos money I'd be spending it on helping people and not a vanity project of trying to duplicate something inefficient governments did 60 years ago."
                              Yeah, if I had the money these chumps do, I'd be inclined to help instead of take a limousine to space. But money aside, I'd jump on any chance to go to space myself.
                              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Working...
                              X