Tour De France idiot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tour De France idiot

Authorities are looking for the woman who struck one of the cyclists with a sign causing a massive pileup of cyclists, numerous injuries, and forcing three cyclists to drop out. What an idiot!

">
    Last edited by madducks; 06-28-2021, 05:47 AM.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

She's in BIG trouble. Criminal and civil complaints...and the guy she took down, Tony Martin (aka der Panzerwagon) has a fanatical cycling cult following.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I don't follow cycling, but if they always have the fans so close without any barriers, even at the start, when all racers are so packed, they have to go so close to the grass, I am surprised this doesn't happen all of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        I don't follow cycling, but if they always have the fans so close without any barriers, even at the start, when all racers are so packed, they have to go so close to the grass, I am surprised this doesn't happen all of the time.
        A friend of mine follows cycling a lot. He said this actually happens all the time. I guess there was an incident a few years ago in a really narrow passage where a guy collided with the cameraman.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          She's in BIG trouble. Criminal and civil complaints...and the guy she took down, Tony Martin (aka der Panzerwagon) has a fanatical cycling cult following.
          Stupid yes, criminal not so sure. It does not look intentional. Accidental not criminal.

Before I watched the video, I thought that she intentionally hit/slapped someone with a sign. I did not come away with that after watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Stupid yes, criminal not so sure. It does not look intentional. Accidental not criminal.

Before I watched the video, I thought that she intentionally hit/slapped someone with a sign. I did not come away with that after watching.
            How about accidental and criminal ?
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            ---------------------------------------------
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I know this isn't supposed to be funny because some of these riders got hurt.....but it's really kinda funny. Like 5,000 riders got taken out by one moron with a sign, and they all toppled like dominoes. And the sign that she was holding up read "Hello Grandma and Grampa" in German, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                I know this isn't supposed to be funny because some of these riders got hurt.....but it's really kinda funny. Like 5,000 riders got taken out by one moron with a sign, and they all toppled like dominoes. And the sign that she was holding up read "Hello Grandma and Grampa" in German, LOL.
                I just don't get why they don't put up a barrier at these choke points and at the start of the race, given the fact that one woman's elbow (it wasn't the cardboard sign that knocked anyone over), can take out half the damn tour. These guys train forever for this. The idea that the whole landscape of the race can change from one rando leaning slighting is amazing to me. What stops sports bookies from hiring someone with a sign to lean over and change all the betting?

Comment

Apparently the woman has fled the country to Germany. The Tour de France is planning on suing her, LOLOLOL. Gimme a break.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    I just don't get why they don't put up a barrier at these choke points and at the start of the race, given the fact that one woman's elbow (it wasn't the cardboard sign that knocked anyone over), can take out half the damn tour. These guys train forever for this. The idea that the whole landscape of the race can change from one rando leaning slighting is amazing to me. What stops sports bookies from hiring someone with a sign to lean over and change all the betting?
                    They do at key mountaintop areas and finish areas, but you're talking about over 180 km of race area with a lot of narrowish roads.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                      How about accidental and criminal ?
                      Yup, this...in the US, in general, negligence becomes criminal when a person ignores a known or obvious risk, or disregards the life and safety of others. And and idiot who sticks herself and a sign out for a photo when cyclists, packed together in a bunch peloton, rolling at 25-30 mph are coming through is certainly ignoring a known risk and disregarding the safety of others.

France's laws are likely different, but given their presumption of innocence is different than that in the US, I'd sure as heck not want to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        France's laws are likely different, but given their presumption of innocence is different than that in the US, I'd sure as heck not want to find out.
                        My understanding is that there you are guilty until proven innocent, but that's misleading because they do much more investigation than we do before charging anyone w a crime. When they charge people, they're pretty sure they're guilty. So, it may be a while before this person is charged, if she ever is. The "innocent until proven guilty" method is pretty much limited to the countries whose law is based on English law. "Guilty until proven innocent" seems to be much more common.

Comment

The woman has been arrested and could face up to two years in prison and a fine of $35,000.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

No, France does not hold that an accused person is guilty until proven innocent. Presumption of innocence is in their version of the Constitution and they have adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, if I remember correctly, which provides the same. They are, however, a civil law country rather than a common law country like the US is - that just means that statutes guide their legal process to a greater extent than does stare decisis. There are far more civil law countries than common law countries.
                            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                              No, France does not hold that an accused person is guilty until proven innocent. Presumption of innocence is in their version of the Constitution and they have adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, if I remember correctly, which provides the same. They are, however, a civil law country rather than a common law country like the US is - that just means that statutes guide their legal process to a greater extent than does stare decisis. There are far more civil law countries than common law countries.
                              This is all Greek to me...
                              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X