No announcement yet.

Federal Holiday - Juneteenth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It continues to be interesting to me that TW and Chance, being so diametrically opposed politically as they are, agree on so much about the nature of the Democratic party. I'd bet TW would agree with Chance's sentiment that the Democratic party gives next to no fucks about CRT or addressing the underlying issues of systemic racism. I'm sure he could give many more and better examples of why that is the case than Whitehouse being in office as well. On this issue, I think it is overly cynical, though. Many in the party, even the politicians, I think do sincerely believe racism is systemic in our society and that we need to face how that continues to be the case. I concede that few have the conviction to go as far as would be needed to really address this problem fully, but I'd venture to guess the majority to think it is an issue, at least to a degree, and are willing to take some steps, even if they are small ones, to remedying it, and not just for political reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      I'll believe Democrats really believe this shit once Sheldon Whitehouse is run out of office.
      Are you saying that there should not be anymore "all-white" private clubs in America?
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        Are you saying that there should not be anymore "all-white" private clubs in America?
        I don't know Chance's stance, but I recall Rand Paul making the case that the free market should decide such things and there should be no laws dictating that businesses should serve anyone or clubs should let anyone in years ago. I've heard other libertarians make the same argument--even if they personally think it is wrong to discriminate, they argue there should be no laws against it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          I don't know Chance's stance, but I recall Rand Paul making the case that the free market should decide such things and there should be no laws dictating that businesses should serve anyone or clubs should let anyone in years ago. I've heard other libertarians make the same argument--even if they personally think it is wrong to discriminate, they argue there should be no laws against it.
          It's a tricky thing to navigate.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Pretty sure he's just saying Democrats should cancel Sheldon Whitehouse.

(Psst, it's a red herring that has nothing to do with Juneteenth or critical race theory at all.)
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Honestly, Juneteenth, the topic of this thread, is not the same as critical race theory, which probably deserves its own thread. Really, Juneteenth isn't probably even a "hot topic", since pretty much everyone outside of a few Republican crazies is on board with the holiday.
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                Honestly, Juneteenth, the topic of this thread, is not the same as critical race theory, which probably deserves its own thread. Really, Juneteenth isn't probably even a "hot topic", since pretty much everyone outside of a few Republican crazies is on board with the holiday.
                That is true. Wasn't there just a few votes against it, and one of them said his issue was that there were too many holidays, so he wanted to replace Columbus Day, which, maybe he did that just to rile up his base, but it doesn't seem like a bad idea to me. So yeah, not really a hot topic.

Comment

It passed something like 480-14, with all the 14 no votes coming from.....prepare yourself for a shocker here.....Republicans:

Rep. Mo Brooks, R-Ala.
                  Rep. Andy Biggs, R-Ariz.
                  Rep. Scott DesJarlais, R-Tenn.
                  Rep. Tom Tiffany, R-Wis.
                  Rep. Doug LaMalfa, R-Calif.
                  Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Ala.
                  Rep. Ralph Norman, R-S.C.
                  Rep. Chip Roy, R-Texas
                  Rep. Paul Gosar, R-Ariz.
                  Rep. Tom McClintock, R-Calif.
                  Rep. Matt Rosendale, R-Mont.
                  Rep. Ronny Jackson, R-Texas
                  Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky.
                  Rep. Andrew Clyde, R-Ga.

They gave a variety of mealy-mouthed excuses, including, predictably, some rambling bullshit about the left trying to foist critical race theory on the people or some such nonsense.

Comment

It passed something like 480-14, with all the 14 no votes coming from.....prepare yourself for a shocker here.....Republicans:

Rep. Mo Brooks, R-Ala.
                    Rep. Andy Biggs, R-Ariz.
                    Rep. Scott DesJarlais, R-Tenn.
                    Rep. Tom Tiffany, R-Wis.
                    Rep. Doug LaMalfa, R-Calif.
                    Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Ala.
                    Rep. Ralph Norman, R-S.C.
                    Rep. Chip Roy, R-Texas
                    Rep. Paul Gosar, R-Ariz.
                    Rep. Matt Rosendale, R-Mont.
                    Rep. Ronny Jackson, R-Texas
                    Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky.
                    Rep. Andrew Clyde, R-Ga.

They gave a variety of mealy-mouthed excuses, including, predictably, some rambling bullshit about the left trying to foist critical race theory on the people or some such nonsense.
                    That is exactly what I find so amusing/disturbing, and it makes me think that some use it as a new dog whistle and others legitimately have no freaking idea what CRT is. The term is being thrown around for everything. Anytime they want to be critical of the left, no matter the subject, they use it. It is the new PC for them. Or the new Cancel Culture. The right loves them some demonized buzz words that can stand in for actual conversation.

Comment

It devolved into this because I said they voted for it (more as an "appeasement") but wouldn't allow teaching of it in schools.

Comment

Well, thanks a fucking lot revo!

Comment

That's my guy. Reddest part of cali right here.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

This is disturbing: https://www.salon.com/2021/06/23/des...ws-with-state/

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                              Show me your papers sir.....
                              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                                Show me your papers sir.....
                                He is the chosen successor for Trump for many in the GOP. If he becomes a frontrunner, it is just more validation that this devolution of the GOP wasn't a one-off cult of personality thing. It is the new hard right turn in the GOP, which I think will kill their party long term, but short term, they will do and say anything to fight to maintain and expand their power. Scary times. Watching the GOP continue its Trumpian turn is like watching Jonestown unfold, but if most of them survived (not all, because COVID keeps taking many of them out, as Trump hopes will happen to Bolton) and decided to go back for more of the poisoned Kool-Aid, again and again.

Comment

Working...
                                X