Clear All

• Pitching cheating follies: Time to Pay the Fiddler, says ESPN

ALL HANDS ON DECK
    REPEAT - ALL HANDS ON DECK
    THIS IS NOT A DRILL
    MAY GOD HELP US ALL

Jeff Passan
    @JeffPassan
    The memo outlining the plan for foreign substances is coming tomorrow, sources tell ESPN, and it includes a 10-day suspension with pay for anyone caught with any sort of substance, from sunscreen mixed with rosin to Spider Tack.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

This is surprising to me. Hasn't this been the worst kept secret in baseball for years? Isn't a degree of this at least not only tacitly accepted, but embraced by all, because it leads to better control and thus less danger for batters? I know it has gotten out of hand with the level of the stuff being used now leading to crazy spin rates, but a crack down on any substance of any kind seems like a "this is why we can't have nice things" move.

In any event, who do we think will be most affected by this? Is there any telling which top pitchers don't use anything at all? Is this gonna affect so many arms that it all evens out in terms of rankings and tiers, or we are confident some top arms use nothing so will not be affected?

And will pitchers still use and take their chances? It feels like the PED crack down all over again.

Comment

Bauer got kicked around in his last start, and I don't imagine Gerrit Cole is happy - given his quasi-confession last week.

the scuttlebutt has the Dodgers as the worst offenders, and obviously the Astros are not above cutting corners.

it does add an interesting dynamic to pennant races (says the owner deep deep in last place), both in MLB and fantasy.

to be added: 10-day suspension is no big deal, you just miss a start. what if you do it again?

UPDATE from SI.com on that Angels clubhouse manager who got busted:

"Harkins remains stunned at his status as the first - and so far only - casualty of MLB’s recent war on pitch doctoring. He does not deny the allegations; he readily admits that he’d been supplying both Angels and opposing pitchers for more than a decade with his home-cooked mixture of liquid pine tar, solid pine tar (often called Mota stick) and rosin. He claims he’d done special orders for some of the biggest names in the game, including Nationals ace Max Scherzer and Yankees ace Gerrit Cole, then with the Astros.

"Harkins shared with SI screenshots of text messages that support his claims, including an exchange with a contact who identified himself as Cole, the hurler who has been at the center of much of the recent controversy around pitch doctoring. Harkins also shared the underlying phone numbers for all text exchanges; SI used various public records databases to confirm that the numbers are associated—or were associated at the time they were sent—with the people Harkins claimed to be texting with."
      Last edited by Judge Jude; 06-14-2021, 10:50 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

I dont know all of the details of this issue but I heard people talk about this for a while on a recent podcast. The Japanese supposedly dont have this problem in their league. This is supposedly because the baseballs they use are easier to grip, not slick like MLB balls. Since MLB supposedly has tight control over the baseballs they use because they own Rawlings, why dont they just have Rawlings make baseballs that are easier to grip so you dont have to use any illegal substance to grip them tight enough so that they dont pose a danger to hitters? MLB is negligent not only for ignoring these rampant violations for years and waiting until there was a crisis before doing anything but also for not using "safer" baseballs, which apparently is not hard to do because the Japanese are already doing it.

Comment

10-day suspension with pay...yeah, like that'll do much. Once they change that to "without" pay, I'll believe MLB is serious about it.

The myth that these substances improve control is just that - the real reason pitchers are using them is spin rate and break, nothing more. Put a foreign substance on your hand and/or the ball, and you can make a baseball do incredible things and move in almost unbelievable ways.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            10-day suspension with pay...yeah, like that'll do much. Once they change that to "without" pay, I'll believe MLB is serious about it.
            That's a strange ask since they can't actually do that, right? That would require a change to the CBA.

You are wanting the league to implement new rules that take away money from the players without any negotiation through the CBA? Why even have a CBA in that case?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              That's a strange ask since they can't actually do that, right? That would require a change to the CBA.

You are wanting the league to implement new rules that take away money from the players without any negotiation through the CBA? Why even have a CBA in that case?
              Chance didn't really say to start enforcing it without a change in the CBA. It seems to me that he was just thinking aloud.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post

The myth that these substances improve control is just that - the real reason pitchers are using them is spin rate and break, nothing more. Put a foreign substance on your hand and/or the ball, and you can make a baseball do incredible things and move in almost unbelievable ways.
                Yeah, the suspension is a slap on the wrist compared with PEDs. I agree that in itself is not a huge deterrent. But in naming and shaming, there may be concerns about legacy, especially for those who could be HOF bound, like Scherzer, Cole, and Bauer. Will there be anything close to the cheating stigma of those popped for PEDs? Maybe not now, but that could develop. After all, many insist that substances like this give every bit or more of an edge to pitchers than steroids ever gave to hitters. Will a potentially HOF bound arm risk getting officially popped given the uncertain risk it may have for their image? And if HOF status isn't a main concern, what about endorsements? That is where the real financial hit could take place, if the perception becomes "this is cheating, like PEDs, and we don't want you being a spokesperson for us anymore."

Comment

the "with pay" clause apparently circumvents union ability to appeal

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    Yeah, the suspension is a slap on the wrist compared with PEDs. I agree that in itself is not a huge deterrent. But in naming and shaming, there may be concerns about legacy, especially for those who could be HOF bound, like Scherzer, Cole, and Bauer. Will there be anything close to the cheating stigma of those popped for PEDs? Maybe not now, but that could develop. After all, many insist that substances like this give every bit or more of an edge to pitchers than steroids ever gave to hitters. Will a potentially HOF bound arm risk getting officially popped given the uncertain risk it may have for their image? And if HOF status isn't a main concern, what about endorsements? That is where the real financial hit could take place, if the perception becomes "this is cheating, like PEDs, and we don't want you being a spokesperson for us anymore."
                    Baseball players are spokespersons? I guess there are a few??
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      Baseball players are spokespersons? I guess there are a few??
                      I am thinking endorsement deals more than Fred McGriff touting instruction videos.

Comment

I am thinking endorsement deals more than Fred McGriff touting instruction videos.
                        what endorsement deals? I am struggling to think of any MLB players with endorsements deals. There has to be some though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                          what endorsement deals? I am struggling to think of any MLB players with endorsements deals. There has to be some though.
                          Looking it up, they are shockingly low. Big names do get endorsements, but unlike basketball, they make up just a tiny portion of their total comp. For instance, Trout makes 39 million a year and only 3 million of that is endorsement deals, which is only one million more than Stanton, for some reason, and less than half of what Harper makes--he leads the way with 6.5 million, a big chunk of it with Under Armor. I am sure back in his day, Jeter endorsed gift baskets.

https://www.lineups.com/articles/hig...-endorsements/

Comment

If I am Trout, I am pretty peeved at my agent about Harper getting more tan double the money in endorsements.

Comment

If I am Trout, I am pretty peeved at my agent about Harper getting more tan double the money in endorsements.
                              If I am Trout I'm wondering why I'd want to put in all that extra outside effort for a few million when I'm making $36M a year just for focusing on baseball. If it was on the scale of $10M, sure, but is it worth it to him at that price point?

Comment

Working...
                              X