Which was worse, Trump or Covid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    I think that well is poisoned now though. There will be the same fight next time, regardless of leadership. We went from a fringe minority of anti-vaxers and conspiracy theorists, to 40% of the country. I don't see that changing for a while.
    I was thinking this exact sentiment.

US attitudes on vaccination have already been tainted. You'll have the lowest vaccination rate of any 1st world country based entirely on attitudes and not supply. That's insane.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I realize it's difficult to separate Trump from Covid for Americans... but you guys realize this is a global thing, right?

From my perspective, having watched different provinces implement different rules, I see the result that the Conservative areas have been worse. But its absolutely ridiculous to claim that a new Covid type of outbreak would be somehow magically no big deal because you view the Biden administration as much more competent.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        I understand your point -- so we've established that Holocaust denial is not a non-starter for you. I know for some that it is, but I see your intent in still respecting the individual, and I know from your history that you are always looking for the good which, in of itself, is a very positive character trait IMO.

However, for some people that kind of statement is so personal and so grotesque that they would not entertain it (nor should they). I think there's a question here of whether we should entertain it as well, even though we have the privilege of it not being a personal issue for you and me, but we can get to that later.

It's an example on a spectrum. Where that example lies on your spectrum from "reasonable normal statement/post" to "gross" is a personal question.

If instead of someone stating "the Holocaust didn't happen", they state "<racial slur>s are inferior to me", do you still "see where it goes"? How about something deeply personal about your family, is that a line we shouldn't cross? Or is there no line to cross? (For me there is, there's no redeeming qualities in question in some cases, but perhaps there's not one for you).

If there indeed is a line, then we are just arguing where it is. If you are saying that there is no line, I'd just disagree -- I'd question why we should entertain those type of statements because by entertaining them, even listening to them, I'm giving them much more respect than they deserve, no?
        First let me say thank you for the response.

I have to say that I "feel" like the Holcaust is tied for the worst tragedy in history. If I let it, it still brings me to tears.

Do you think the line is the same in our walking around life as it is in here? It seems to me that often nastiness in here is more about the fear of crossing the line than actual crossing the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
          I realize it's difficult to separate Trump from Covid for Americans... but you guys realize this is a global thing, right?

From my perspective, having watched different provinces implement different rules, I see the result that the Conservative areas have been worse. But its absolutely ridiculous to claim that a new Covid type of outbreak would be somehow magically no big deal because you view the Biden administration as much more competent.
          If you are talking about global impact, it gets back to why I wasn't going to answer this hypothetical. As bad is Trump was for America, it is absurd to compare him to the death of millions. Although, I would hope the global response to variant resurgence of COVID would be much better given what he have learned, and vaccine makers have already said they can adapt their vaccines very quickly to respond to it, so the unlikelihood of something as bad as what he are going through now makes it a again hard to judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            First let me say thank you for the response.

I have to say that I "feel" like the Holcaust is tied for the worst tragedy in history. If I let it, it still brings me to tears.

Do you think the line is the same in our walking around life as it is in here? It seems to me that often nastiness in here is more about the fear of crossing the line than actual crossing the line.
            I think Ken is just still salty about your proclamation about the HISTORIC nature of the Chicago Bears. You crossed the line with that shit.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
              I think Ken is just still salty about your proclamation about the HISTORIC nature of the Chicago Bears. You crossed the line with that shit.
              Do the Chicago Bears shit in the woods?
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

They do, and those shits are HISTORIC.

Comment

They pretty much go where the want to...except on game day.

Comment

No, silly, Lambeau Field. The Bears always take a collective dump there.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I was trying to make an Ickey Woods joke of this, but they all seemed to be in poor taste.
                      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                        I was trying to make an Ickey Woods joke of this, but they all seemed to be in poor taste.
                        That's true, the humor of that type of joke would probably be lost in the shuffle.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                          you need them to be more salty.

Comment

That's true, the humor of that type of joke would probably be lost in the shuffle.
                            are you just here to start some trouble?

Comment

Damn beat me to it--care to offer a fridge reference?
                              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

If Trump had not been president, covid would have been handled in an adult manner.
                                “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Working...
                                X