NL trade candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL trade candidates

I'm trying to compile a list of potential players and a view of high/moderate/low trade value for players that may be dumped by a non-contending NL team to the AL.

D-Backs:
    - Ketel Marte - I figure his price will be high. He's competent at 2B and CF, hits well, and has two more years after this one at an average of $11 mil/year.
    - Eduardo Escobar - I figure his price will be moderate. He's a FA at the end of the year, but the power sure seems legit, and he can play both 2B and 3B.
    - Joakim Soria - Low cost/value.
    - Merrill Kelly - Even though he has two arb years left, given his age, I don't think he'll require much back if the D-Backs put him on the market. I don't think they will since he's a useful innings-eater at a reasonable price, and they'll need one or two of those types in a rebuild.

Rockheads:
    - Trevor Story - If they'd dealt him before the season started, his value would have been really high. But now, coming off an injury, mediocre stats, and a contract coming due, I'm thinking he'll bring back at most one good prospect and some other lottery tickets.
    - Charlie Blackmon - Given his contract cost next year, doubt anyone would deal for him, but if so, I'm sure the Rockies would almost give him away.
    - Jon Gray - Even though his elbow issues don't indicate structural damage, I suspect that has cratered his value.

Cincinnati:
    - Sonny Gray - Two more years at a reasonable average of $11 mil/year base. I'm betting his cost would be high to pry him away from the Reds.
    - Nick Castellanos - Two more years at $16 mil/year and then a $2 mil buyout. I'd think he could get a return of a good to really good prospect if the Reds put him on the market.
    - Sean Doolittle - Low cost/return.
    - Wade Miley - Hmmm...not sure. He has another year at $10 mil, the numbers this year have been pretty good, and he could help a team that's starter short chew up a lot of innings. OTOH, his stuff sure appears on the fine edge of cratering to disaster, and he's not a SP I'd think would be someone that would be a top-3 starter in the playoffs.
    - Mike Moustakas - Even more expensive than Castellanos, and it's unclear how long the heel injury will linger.

Will Washington or Miami dump if their playoff picture doesn't improve? Does Pittsburgh have anyone left worth considering? Will the Cubs dump or try to make one more run?
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Good topic.

I am not good at this aspect of our game, so I will be interested in what others have to say.

I do think Cubs management has to tread very carefully. They are in first place and cannot afford to dump now.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post

- Nick Castellanos - Two more years at $16 mil/year and then a $2 mil buyout. I'd think he could get a return of a good to really good prospect if the Reds put him on the market.
      Seems like even that may be underselling it, I could see a big multi-player package.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        Seems like even that may be underselling it, I could see a big multi-player package.
        I feel like middling players like Castellanos are always targeted by the ne’er do well teams, usually to their detriment. He’s having a good year so far but he’s not a very valuable player overall.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

If Richard Rodriguez of the Pirates has a year-long lease rental on his place, I'd assume he has been letting the landlord show the palace for more than a month now to obtain a replacement tenant. He seems goner than gone to me.

in PIT, Stallings is a 31-year-old catcher having a 103 OPS+ season. if a good gets a bad injury to their C...... AFrazier can help you at 2B and OF and can hit a bit.

importantly, all three will be arbitration-eligible next year. so is Chris Stratton, Exhibit 9,752 of how even awful SPs can make for useful setup men because the latter job is that relatively easy. but he wouldn't fetch much.

Doolittle - he doo too little to merit anything other than a charity offer once he's DFA'd.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Great thread, chance. Let’s do this for the AL too.

PIT - Richard Rodriguez will definitely be dealt. Surprisingly I could see Bryan Reynolds dealt if the return is high enough. Stallings definitely too, though wouldn’t cost as much.

CIN - Agree with your assessment

MIA - Could definitely see them move that big guy at 1B (Jesus Aguilar) to an AL team. Dickerson would be an easy fit for someone too. Not sure beyond that.

WAS - I bet we see a fire sale and it won’t be pretty. If they can find a taker for Mad Max, even he could be gone IMO.

Comment

Found out a castellanos contract fact that complicates trading him - he has an opt-out this year.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

German Marquez would bring a boatload for the Rox - signed through 2024.
                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Freddie Freeman. I wonder what he would get to a real contender....

Comment

Working...
                  X