Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The USFL is back!

Where on earth did this come from???

The United States Football League was the most popular spring league in football, emerging as a viable competitor to the NFL in the early to mid-1980s. Nearly 40 years later, the USFL is planning to make a major comeback.

The USFL announced its re-emergence Thursday with a return in the spring of 2022. The league plans a minimum of eight teams for its first season and will retain rights to key original team names -- like the New Jersey Generals, Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars. Memphis Showboats and Los Angeles Express.

"I'm extremely passionate about football and the opportunity to bring back the USFL in 2022 was an endeavor worth pursuing," said Brian Woods, co-founder of the new USFL. "We look forward to providing players a new opportunity to compete in a professional football league and giving fans everywhere the best football viewing product possible during what is typically a period devoid of professional football."

Originally posted by revo View Post
    Where on earth did this come from???

The United States Football League was the most popular spring league in football, emerging as a viable competitor to the NFL in the early to mid-1980s. Nearly 40 years later, the USFL is planning to make a major comeback.

The USFL announced its re-emergence Thursday with a return in the spring of 2022. The league plans a minimum of eight teams for its first season and will retain rights to key original team names -- like the New Jersey Generals, Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars. Memphis Showboats and Los Angeles Express.

"I'm extremely passionate about football and the opportunity to bring back the USFL in 2022 was an endeavor worth pursuing," said Brian Woods, co-founder of the new USFL. "We look forward to providing players a new opportunity to compete in a professional football league and giving fans everywhere the best football viewing product possible during what is typically a period devoid of professional football."
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/u...s-will-remain/
    If you have not read it, you should read Football for a Buck by Jeff Pearlman. All about the USFL and a very quick and entertaining read.

New Jersey Generals for life!

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
      If you have not read it, you should read Football for a Buck by Jeff Pearlman. All about the USFL and a very quick and entertaining read.

New Jersey Generals for life!
      I did read it, and it was indeed awesome. Thanks "Former Guy" for ruining this, too!

Comment

No way I fit into it, but I've still got my 1984 Philadelphia Star's USFL Championship shirt.

I'm all in if they bring Kelvin Bryant back.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          I'm all in if they bring Kelvin Bryant back.
          How the fuck does a site called Pro-football-reference.com not have USFL stats on their player pages!?!?!

Comment

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I had a Washington Federals hat, went to a bunch of New Jersey Generals games, and scored a free New Orleans Breakers ticket from a doubloon that I captured that was tossed off a float during Mardi Gras 1984. USFL was a fun league.

Herschel Walker, Doug Flutie, Reggie White, Gary Zimmerman, Jim Kelly, Steve Young, Brian Sipe, Joe Cribbs...
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I loved the USFL as a kid. Kelvin Bryant, Trumaine Johnson, Eric Truvillion, lol. I just bought a Philadelphia Stars t-shirt a few months ago!

Comment

when the Stars moved to Baltimore in '85, was the pain as intense as all those Hollywood celebrities monotonously describe when the Dodgers and Giants left NY for CA in the late 1950s?

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

I’m pretty sure there is still a New Jersey Generals team picture somewhere in my parents house.

Comment

I’m pretty sure there is still a New Jersey Generals team picture somewhere in my parents house.
                      That's odd, you'd think they'd use a football field.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        That's odd, you'd think they'd use a football field.
                        When you come from a connected family like mine, you get these kinds of perks.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                          when the Stars moved to Baltimore in '85, was the pain as intense as all those Hollywood celebrities monotonously describe when the Dodgers and Giants left NY for CA in the late 1950s?

I was actually a Michigan Panthers fan. Anthony Carter was my favorite player.

And I think nearly every USFL team moved or merged, besides the Generals.

Comment

looks like Birmingham, Denver, Los Angeles, and Tampa Bay also were in all 3 seasons in the same city without mergers

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

When you come from a connected family like mine, you get these kinds of perks.
                              did I ever ask if Bethany is a distant relative? My housewife obsessed wife wants to know.

Comment

Working...
                              X