Yusmeiro Petit has 7 wins already

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yusmeiro Petit has 7 wins already

Yusmeiro Petit has 7 wins already. Hard to wrap my mind around that.

To put it in context: We are more than 1/3 through the season. Petit is tied for the league lead in Wins (Civale also has 7). He has more wins than Cy Young candidate Gerrit Cole. And he has more wins than two opening day starters (Bieber and Gonzales) combined!

So... with current pitcher usage in MLB, is this still a fluke? I need Ks and Wins. Can’t decide whether to kick him overboard for more Ks.

I think this is the new thing. As teams use more bullpen games (thanks Tampa), or conserve their starters by having them pitch less than 5 innings, more multi-inning relievers will get wins. Petit is very valuable in daily leagues.

Comment

Figured MRs would be strong in wins this year - due to the general trend revo noted, but also due to innings limits on a lot of SPs.

Petit has 25% of my team wins in my AL league.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I hate this trend.

I would want to switch from Wins to QS, but quality starts are being screwed with just as much as W's, so I'm not sure how to address the problem.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
          I hate this trend.

I would want to switch from Wins to QS, but quality starts are being screwed with just as much as W's, so I'm not sure how to address the problem.
          QS has almost become prehistoric. Interesting article I read this morning suggesting mlb is going to put a roster cap on pitchers at 13. Does this make managers push starters in to the 6 inning arena rather than twice through the lineup?

Comment

We are contemplating a move to IP instead of wins. Has anyone done or seen that? I think one of the “pro” leagues did that. QS seems worse than wins. IP would have advantages and disadvantages.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
              We are contemplating a move to IP instead of wins. Has anyone done or seen that? I think one of the “pro” leagues did that. QS seems worse than wins. IP would have advantages and disadvantages.
              Never seen it but sounds intriguing.

He's got a chance for another win today, pitching in a 4-4 game in the 9th.

Comment

yes, leagues have gone to IP

I'm not quite a fan, but if W are to be tossed in the dumpster and as noted QS don't really solve anything anymore, it's a legit option
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                  my a.l. only pitching categories are ip, w+qs, saves*3+holds, era, whip

we are daily. once the contenders are established, they run up the transaction fees via streaming of starting pitchers.

Comment

personally I don't have a problem with it, wins have always been elusive, this just adds another element to consider if you're going to chase them
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

yes, that is how we are playing it.

in a social league, I think that a category that becomes increasingly subject to chance is a feature, not a bug. it improves the odds of owners who tend not to be as competitive to have a chance at a little glory while not nearly making the entire competition random overall.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Petit's wins are coming from his leverage usage behind standard starters. He's out there like Everyday Eddie Guardado back in the day and Oakland is in many late & close games. Remember Mike Dunn back in 2014 with the Braves?

Wrote about this last week at Rotowire - https://www.rotowire.com/baseball/article.php?id=57355

Comment

"7 wins" kept resonating with me..... found it!

the original Rotisserie League book in 1984 included a $5 "add-a-player draft" for September - partly to goose the pot, and partly to give a chance to hamstrung owners (not only did we only get 3 moves a year to replace awful active players, but you could only do it by claiming someone else's trash on waivers. it was almost as rough as walking uphill for 3 miles to school both coming and going as kids).

I chose Miguel Dilone in 1984, who is now 66 years young but could run a bit BITD. he indeed swiped 4 bases that September.

in 1987, I chose Pascual Perez - who on Aug. 28 pitched 9 shutout IP in his second appearance of the season.

well, Pascual made 8 starts for me in the final 32 games of the Expos season, producing:
                          W W W W W W W ND

7 wins - as a September pickup

I settled for the 4th and final money slot in that era, content in the knowledge that ain't nobody ever beating that pick.

we still have the add-a-player draft, but interest has faded - even among my old-timers.

my next-most memorable pick was one year picking fungible OF Reed Johnson to boost my AVG.
                          instead he screwed the pooch, costing me the $5 I paid for him AND the $100 or so more I'd have gotten in consolation money if he only had broken his jaw (or really any bone) in his first PA.....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                          X