Pitchers vs. Walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitchers vs. Walls

Why are pitchers allowed to routinely have temper tantrums after poor performances leading to broken hands?

First of all, pitchers throwing punches with their pitching hand should be suspended without pay until they heal. I know it would never happen, but its ridiculous to watch pitchers go on IL for hand injuries they caused. Huascar Ynoa punched a wall, but Jesus Luzardo's tantrum was because of a video game! Something must be done.

How about punching bags nearby? Would that be as satisfying as punching a wall, or more? A heavy bag in every clubhouse could save some pitchers from themselves.

I think it's a poor message to send that you can neglect your biggest asset, the arm they're paying you for, with no consequences. Curious to hear other suggestions.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

I LOL'd at the thread title....

I get your frustration, but there's no way I'd give owners any more power to take more money from players than they already can.

Damn, that Ballast Point beer is powerful liberal stuff.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
      Why are pitchers allowed to routinely have temper tantrums after poor performances leading to broken hands?

First of all, pitchers throwing punches with their pitching hand should be suspended without pay until they heal. I know it would never happen, but its ridiculous to watch pitchers go on IL for hand injuries they caused. Huascar Ynoa punched a wall, but Jesus Luzardo's tantrum was because of a video game! Something must be done.

How about punching bags nearby? Would that be as satisfying as punching a wall, or more? A heavy bag in every clubhouse could save some pitchers from themselves.

I think it's a poor message to send that you can neglect your biggest asset, the arm they're paying you for, with no consequences. Curious to hear other suggestions.
      Good post.

I was thinking they should be suspended without pay as well.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        I LOL'd at the thread title....

I get your frustration, but there's no way I'd give owners any more power to take more money from players than they already can.

Damn, that Ballast Point beer is powerful liberal stuff.
        I have to disagree with you on this one. The owners pay salaries in good faith. They have to eat missed games due to injury all the time. Tantrum injuries they should not have to eat.

How about not paying tantrum babies but giving the money to charity?

Comment

I'm not sure how Taylor will do when he's called up, but AAA pitchers aren't liking him so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            I have to disagree with you on this one. The owners pay salaries in good faith. They have to eat missed games due to injury all the time. Tantrum injuries they should not have to eat.
            I certainly understand the concept. But owners have proven they operate in bad faith - just ask Kris Bryant or Jared Kelenic, and anything like this will get manipulated and stretched to any limit to screw players, just as the service rules have been.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

To answer the question suggested by the title, I think the walls are undefeated so far .

Seriously, I would think that this situation can be managed thru contract language. I've never seen a MLB contract but I would think that language addressing situations like this should be pretty standard by now.

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              I'm not sure how Taylor will do when he's called up, but AAA pitchers aren't liking him so far.
              I see what you did there .

Comment

Former Pirates pitcher Oliver Perez used to prefer kicking laundry carts (broken toe) in the clubhouse.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Waiting for someone to headbutt something in celebration and concuss themselves, a la Gus Frerotte. I don't usually cheer injuries but that one was fanfreakintastic.
                  More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    So far so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

How about not paying tantrum babies but giving the money to charity?
                      I'm with Chance here. Human's do dumb things all the time. People want to fine players when they don't show enough passion (i.e. not running full speed and risking a leg injury on routine ground balls) and when they show too much passion (hitting something because they're frustrated they didn't perform at the level the team needed). Yes they make a lot of money, but that money, no matter how much, doesn't totally negate human emotions. I hate when players do dumb things, but I'm don't support legislating them into being emotionless robots. Some want players to be the ideal mix of emotion and logic and that's just not reasonable.

On the other hand, a pitcher that throws at a hitter and injures him should miss as much, if not more time than the batter misses (unless the hitter leaned into the pitch). That should have happened years ago, but few have advocated for that...
                      2021 Auction Anatomy
                      2021 Keeper Decisions
                      2020 Auction Anatomy
                      2020 Pre-Auction
                      2015 Auction Anatomy
                      2014 Auction Anatomy
                      2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                      RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Give to the owners nothing and take from them everything!

I'd be shocked if the player's union would ever agree to including language about letting the owners refuse to pay players in these types of situations, and rightfully so.
                        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                          Give to the owners nothing and take from them everything!

I'd be shocked if the player's union would ever agree to including language about letting the owners refuse to pay players in these types of situations, and rightfully so.
                          I understand humans are "stupid", and I realize it will never be addressed, but I think it's shitty to let privileged millionaires throw tantrums, literally something that toddlers do, and injure themselves, hurt their org, etc. You think that's fine?

Police, celebrities, athletes, they all get away with fuckery that normal folks don't.

If a house painter had a project go sideways, and that house painter reacted by screaming and melting down, punching something and breaking his hand, maybe he has insurance, no bother... but he wouldn't be rewarded for it his entire life, over and over, into his career the way an athlete would be. Breaking your hand after a tantrum from a video game, no problem there? I suck at MLB the Show, but you don't see me putting holes in the wall of my apartment. Because I live with consequences.

I wish these role models weren't such idiots, but I don't have a proper prescription to stop it. I'm just whining.
                          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I would never be in favor of something that gives the actual privileged rich in this equation - the owners - any power to steal wages from their employees any more than they already do. The players earn their salaries by being the very best in the entire world at their profession. The owners, many worth a thousand or five thousand or ten thousand millionaires or more, don't do jack shit other than be rich. As liberal stalwart Chancellor astutely notes "there's no way I'd give owners any more power to take more money from players than they already can." I can't even imagine contractual language that wouldn't encompass far more than what we're talking about here and it would only be to the detriment of the workers and to the benefit of the owners. No thanks.

Edit: Almost referred to them as masters and servants. Old habits die hard!

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                              I would never be in favor of something that gives the actual privileged rich in this equation - the owners - any power to steal wages from their employees any more than they already do. The players earn their salaries by being the very best in the entire world at their profession. The owners, many worth a thousand or five thousand or ten thousand millionaires or more, don't do jack shit other than be rich. As liberal stalwart Chancellor astutely notes "there's no way I'd give owners any more power to take more money from players than they already can." I can't even imagine contractual language that wouldn't encompass far more than what we're talking about here and it would only be to the detriment of the workers and to the benefit of the owners. No thanks.

Edit: Almost referred to them as masters and servants. Old habits die hard!
                              Taking the financial aspect out, I just think it sets a bad example for humans, regarding taking responsibility, and regarding self-abuse.

It's not about politics. It's about watching a product that puts a bad taste in my mouth because it reinforces that I'm the worker that has to be careful with my hands if I want to afford to pay these assholes' salary, they're the workers that get to throw their hand in a blender or at a wall out of lack of emotional maturity. Why? Why can they do that? Are you arguing they've earned the right to their self-abuse? So they can have weight incentives in contracts, performance incentives, etc, but no incentives for protecting their hands, the only piece of value they offer?

Would you support all contracts containing a bonus for players protecting their body, which 95%+ players would attain, and then only the idiots would get punished by not attaining their "bodily respect" bonus?

Comment

Working...
                              X