Pitchers vs. Walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Taking the financial aspect out, I just think it sets a bad example for humans, regarding taking responsibility, and regarding self-abuse.

It's not about politics. It's about watching a product that puts a bad taste in my mouth because it reinforces that I'm the worker that has to be careful with my hands if I want to afford to pay these assholes' salary, they're the workers that get to throw their hand in a blender or at a wall out of lack of emotional maturity. Why? Why can they do that? Are you arguing they've earned the right to their self-abuse? So they can have weight incentives in contracts, performance incentives, etc, but no incentives for protecting their hands, the only piece of value they offer?

Would you support all contracts containing a bonus for players protecting their body, which 95%+ players would attain, and then only the idiots would get punished by not attaining their "bodily respect" bonus?
    These people are human beings just like you. They are not "assholes", they are not disembodied hands that exist for your entertainment. I'm surprised to hear you giving a full-throated defense of unvarnished capitalism, that people ought to be treated merely as assets for the economic value they can provide and discarded if they momentarily no longer please you as the consumer.

Maybe you ought to have some of the same labor protections that they enjoy, not the other way around? Maybe you ought to have employers who are forgiving of isolated mistakes and believe in you as a person and as part of a team where we support each other rather than viewing you only as an economic transaction? I think that would be better for all of us.

Professional baseball is cutthroat most of the time. Why do you choose to be angry about a time when it's not?
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post

Maybe you ought to have some of the same labor protections that they enjoy, not the other way around? Maybe you ought to have employers who are forgiving of isolated mistakes and believe in you as a person and as part of a team where we support each other rather than viewing you only as an economic transaction? I think that would be better for all of us.
      Amen.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
        As liberal stalwart Chancellor astutely notes
        This might be a new sig line.

In all fairness, I understand where Teenwolf is coming from. At best, this type of behavior is immature; as worst, an indication of a serious anger management issue.

But, yeah, even this liberal stalwart doesn't want to give the owners any more leverage over players than they already have.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

What would be the difference between awarding bonuses based on players not intentionally injuring themselves (IE punching walls) vs bonuses for games played, innings pitched, etc? Why is it morally wrong to award players for protecting their bodies while it's morally good to award players for games played? That's built into pitchers contracts coming off injury all the time. Both clauses address time played, and exist to incentivize good behavior. What's the difference?

Seems like exactly the same thing to me. If it were introduced as a bonus clause rather than something to weaponize, would that still not be justifiable?

Chancellor is right on, and I think toxic masculinity is the main ingredient. It makes me think of that Costner movie where he throws the perfect game. He was such an asshole, and the movie seemed to imply, as many movies do, that being an asshole is just part of being dedicated to one's passion. It's garbage. I did love the film, but what stuck with me was the asshole character he embodied.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Good post.

I was thinking they should be suspended without pay as well.
            Ynoa now out to mid-August. Let's give him a bonus. That way we can show those greedy owners. In reality I wouldn't shive a git if I didn't own him in the middle of a title run.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              I'm not sure how Taylor will do when he's called up, but AAA pitchers aren't liking him so far.
              As expected, mlb pitchers are having a little more success against Taylor than those in the minors.

Comment

Working...
              X