Most important positions - "real" football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most important positions - "real" football

The "is it wrong to draft a WR so high" question got me wondering.....what are the most valuable or important positions for an NFL team? Obviously QB is far and away the #1. After that, well, here's what I got:

1. QB
    2. OT
    3. D End
    4. CB
    5. WR
    6. TE
    7. D tackle
    8. O Guard
    9. Mike / ILB
    10. OLB
    11. Center
    12. Longsnapper/special teams/whoever the Raiders drafted in the first round/Tim Tebow/kicker

Not a ton of deep thought put into this, as per my norm, but whatcha got?

Edit: Oops, forgot running backs. Uh, maybe in the 7-8 range?
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

All right, revo - what do you think?
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

1. QB
      2. WR
      3. CB
      4. OT
      5. S
      6. TE
      7. LB
      8. Edge
      9. RB
      10. C/G
      11. DT

From a value perspective, these days it's allllll about the passing game.
      You left out safety, which is pretty valuable considering their influence on the passing game.

Comment

Interesting - I think the edge position should be higher but definitely see where you’re coming from. Yeah, I forgot safety and you could even break it down to strong and free, oth of which have different but important roles in pass D.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
          Interesting - I think the edge position should be higher but definitely see where you’re coming from. Yeah, I forgot safety and you could even break it down to strong and free, oth of which have different but important roles in pass D.
          Edge is interesting - I think there's a high variance in that the guys who actually get in the backfield and interrupt the passes have a ton of value, but those that don't are likely net negatives. On average I think they are middle of the pack or below.

Comment

I'd go something like this:

1. QB
            2. OT (specifically LT)
            3. Pass rusher (DE/LB)
            4. CB
            5. WR (specifically WR1)
            6. DT
            7. MLB
            8. RB
            9. DE
            10. OLB
            11. G
            12. C
            13. S
            14. TE
            15. Other WRs
            16. Tebow

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              I'd go something like this:

1. QB
              2. OT (specifically LT)
              3. Pass rusher (DE/LB)
              4. CB
              5. WR (specifically WR1)
              6. DT
              7. MLB
              8. RB
              9. DE
              10. OLB
              11. G
              12. C
              13. S
              14. TE
              15. Tebow
              Love the Tebow note.

I'd argue pretty strongly against your TE ranking at 14 there, maybe 10 years ago they belonged there, but now TE account for a much larger portion of offenses.

Kelce, Waller, and Kittle are right up there with the WR1s in value. Obviously they are the exception, but on average they still push up the position. TE > RB in modern offenses.

The first non-QB taken in the draft this year was a TE (Pitts), for a reason.
              Last edited by Ken; 05-13-2021, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Oh I agree with you. An elite pass catching TE is right up there with a WR1, but the vast majority of TEs are not that. That's why a Kyle Pitts is so special that even a team with a solid pass catching TE took him.

I still couldn't put it over RBs, because if you have no running game, it will weigh down the passing game as well.

Comment

This analysis was from last year but PFF had a breakdown before the draft:

Examining the difference between “best player available” and “best value available” when it comes to hitting on NFL draft picks.

Position Top-10 WAR Average

QB 2.5134
                  WR 0.701
                  S 0.6039
                  CB 0.5172
                  TE 0.3426
                  IOL 0.3212
                  OT 0.2968
                  ED 0.2783
                  LB 0.2762
                  RB 0.2166
                  DI 0.1868

Comment

Revo has it pretty well nailed. Only position I’d bump up to about 6-7 is C. They call all the line protection schemes and have to execute some of the most difficult blocks in the game.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                    X