Rank Surprise Arms ROS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Is trading Manaea and Wood for Maeda is a no brainer? His lack of command is concerning. I'm not sure how long it will take for him to get it together.
    Maeda seemed better yesterday. I would probably lean towards doing that. I think Maeda is maybe 10-12 spots ahead of Manaea the rest of the way. So is Wood a fair price for that upgrade?

Comment

Is trading Manaea and Wood for Maeda is a no brainer? His lack of command is concerning. I'm not sure how long it will take for him to get it together.
      I think a 1-for-1 to get Maeda for either of those guys would be a no-brainer despite how much Maeda is killing us. I was just listening to Sporer's podcast and he and Justin reminded us about how Maeda didnt pitch in April last season and avoided all the cold weather circumstances for his whole career until right now. He is just a little bit off on his touch and I think that can be the big blame. If you can buy in now and bypass all the April crappiness, you could end up with ace-caliber production form here on out.

Never been a better time to buy Maeda. If some scrubby 5th OF type pushes it over the top with Wood, you should go for it.

ETA: The second deal with Clase is far worse that the Manaea/Wood deal to me. Montero is trash.

Comment

Now discussing Wood and Clase for Maeda and Montero. Just debating if the RP downgrade is more than the SP upgrade. Only considering it, because I have Karinchak and I think he should be the closer, and hope he will be eventually.
        Montero is worthless at this point I think. Might get a few chances if they need to use Graveman early
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          Montero is worthless at this point I think. Might get a few chances if they need to use Graveman early
          Yeah, he is a total throw in I might not even take. Now we are at Conforto and Maeda for Tyler O'Neill, Clase, and Wood. He is considering the offer.

Comment

Yeah, he is a total throw in I might not even take. Now we are at Conforto and Maeda for Tyler O'Neill, Clase, and Wood. He is considering the offer.
            There you go. I like that one for you.

Comment

I've been riding high with the likes of Rodon, Means, Pineda, Happ. you also have to look at the teams they played. presumably Det, Cle, KC. and now you get MIN and CWS playing each other. so it's time to bite the bullet and watch Pineda and Happ get crushed.

John Means: was always a good pitcher, sure why not.
              Trevor Rogers: don't know looks good. why are all the MIA pitchers so good?
              Carlos Rodon: better than ever. will eventually get injured again
              Freddy Peralta: needs more SP experience for stars to completely align
              ~~~~
              Alex Wood had god-like ratios with dodgers, there's something about being in SF that helps. smaller park now though right? probably stay healthy
              Sean Manaea yeah, sure.. SEA, TEX weak, even the Angles outside the first part of the order aren't as exciting
              Hector Ynoa if the league does adjust to him maybe.. I have him on my team.
              ~~~~
              Wade Miley just waiting for that 1/3 of an inning with 8 runs given up. you know it's coming, you just don't when.

I really don't know Manaea or Ynoa. I love pitchers from OAK because of the stadium and history, more RP. I've seen Rodon and Means pitch this year and they definitely ooze that unbeatable confidence. Rodon is like this is my year, for all the injuries he's had. arm in better shape than ever before. wants to prove it more than the other SP.

for me it's factors like what age are they? get me near that 28 old year and the stars align and the breakout is believable. another factor is how do they pitch? do they challenge hitters with a high fastball. so i'd trust Happ more than Pineda. the way the game has changed you have to throw high and challenge.

Comment

I agree with Ken, that's the deal I'd want most of all the proposals. Conforto and Maeda are both good buy low targets.
                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

that's a ridiculous offer. then someone has to drop someone cause it's a 2 for 3. I haven't been paying attention to O'Neil but he's still probably who is to say STL plays with his playing time like they had. he's got power but what about the other stuff, Clase will lose the job to Karinchak eventually. CLE is just scared of throwing him into the fire too soon and having a meltdown. and Wood is good but at this point he's a sell high.

OTOH Maeda is the ace on a WS team that plays DET, CLE and KC. good times are coming. Conforto is a high batting order stud, with a .900 OPS vs righties guaranteed, on the hated Steve Cohen Mets. unless Rocco Baldelli decides to stop play to make sure a foul ball is scored correctly and ruins Maeda groove every time he pitches.

i'd be embarrassed to offer someone that trade.

Comment

Orioles game guys are great. they are all mellow and a pleasure to listen too. they are like the movie Major League, pitch just a bit outside. it was like they had a glass of bourbon. Jim Palmer was on, he was great. he was unshaven and wearing a trench coat and which looked like he had a suit of body armor underneath. I don't know if he was fat. and a pink tie. gotta love listening to the Orioles. and the only reason you watch them is to watch John Means pitch.

Comment

Maeda did he pitch over his head last year. previously he couldn't get a starting gig on Dave Roberts Dodgeritis. but going from NL to AL and best park to a neutral one and gets better. that's a breakout. it's all about facing DET, CLE AND KC.

in fact I am going to trade Means for the ace of a WS team. I trade Rodon for Maeda for it's the same division, even though he'll get injured.

Comment

Alex Wood after a 1-hit, 1-walk masterpiece vs Marlins on Fri over 7 innings in late April, per mlb.com:

“I feel like at this point I’ve had all kinds of nights throughout the course of my career,” Wood said. “I didn’t feel great early with my changeup and my fastball command those first two innings, but I feel like I really settled in and started clipping some really good changeups and commanding my fastball."

Wood struck out the side in the second and finished his night with seven punchouts, five of which came on his nasty slider. The 30-year-old veteran used his slider 28.7% of the time last year, but he’s leaned more heavily on the pitch in his first two starts of the 2021 season, both of which have come against Miami. Thirty-eight of his 97 pitches (39%) on Friday were sliders.

Wood said he thought his slider played well against the Marlins’ lineup and noted that he made some adjustments during Spring Training to tweak the overall profile of the pitch.

“At least based off the metrics of my first outing, it’s playing a little bit more like a mini-curveball,” Wood said. “It’s a unique pitch, and it’s been really good so far. It’s not so much the swing-and-misses or the strikeouts with my slider. It’s the ones I’ll throw in-zone that I’m getting ground balls on. That’s a really good sign for me moving forward, that it’s a sustainable pitch, and a pitch that’s going to be a real weapon for me over the course of the season.”

after Monday' start:

5 starts, has allowed 0, 2, 2, 1, 1 runs in 30 IP.
                        4 W
                        17 H, 8 BB, 29 K.

ok, maybe you think the Giants will baby him due to past injuries, so how many Ws will he really get?

Monday, 1-1, bottom 5, 2nd and 3rd, 2 out, Wood due up.
                        and the PH is NOBODY. Wood Ks and we move on.

top 6, still tied, and after a K, Wood goes walk-walk.
                        and into the game comes NOBODY. and K K and the inning is over.

still tied, top 7, K but then a walk so here comes.... yes, nobody. and there's a DP and we go to the bottom of the 7th (where the Giants score 2 runs and Wood gets the W).

of course you don't give away the farm given the risk injury. but I am playing for 2022 and grabbed him right away at 10-S2, and I'm not dangling him.

might be worth kicking the tires on his career again. 2017-18 - damn.
                        he's a 30-year lefty who knows how to pitch.

pretty sure he ain't finishing in the last place that a lot of posters here have him placing.
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Update:

Everyone else on earth
                          ~~~~~
                          Manaea
                          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                            Update:

Everyone else on earth
                            ~~~~~

Manaea
                            man that was ugly
                            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Yeah, of course I had him in the line up...over Patrick Corbin. I'll flip it next week, so look out for the gem from Manaea and a stinker from Corbin.

Comment

I traded manaea, corbin, marquez, Tyler Oneill, and Ryan McMahon for Roger's and spare parts. I am hoping I do not regret it.

Comment

Working...
                                X