Five Wins in a day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    I know some of you guys have incredible recall of events in your league history, so I'm curious if anybody else has ever had 5 pitcher wins in 1 day. I can't remember ever seeing 5 wins in a day, but it happened for me yesterday in 20 team dynasty.

Gant, Eovaldi, Pineda, Means, Darvish. Combined 29.1 IP, 17 H, 13 BB, 33 K, 6 ER..... 5 W.

Having 5 SP line up to pitch the same day only happens a few times a season at most. The odds that all 5 would hit a W seem well below 5%. Even if you give them all a 50% probability of a W, that's 1/64th in finite math, right? But their actual odds of W were probably closer to 35%, making it extremely rare.

Anyway, I had a fun time watching game scores. Briefly the gamescore showed Darin Ruf hit a grand slam vs Tim Hill with 3 of Darvish's base runners on, but I guess it was overruled or something. Weird, but a fun surprise when it disappeared.
    Actually, this is how it started, and the question was "if anyone else has ever had 5 pitcher wins in 1 day." While he went into starters later in the post as if they were the only pitchers who could get wins (and obviously all of his were from starters), but that wasn't the original question. Yes, words matter. And phrasing matters, too. And I do know how to read. I deal with words for a living, and inexact ones can have bad consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
      Actually, this is how it started, and the question was "if anyone else has ever had 5 pitcher wins in 1 day." While he went into starters later in the post as if they were the only pitchers who could get wins (and obviously all of his were from starters), but that wasn't the original question. Yes, words matter. And phrasing matters, too. And I do know how to read. I deal with words for a living, and inexact ones can have bad consequences.
      From your quote: "Having 5 SP line up to pitch the same day only happens a few times a season at most"

But why are you even still talking about this? You just like to take a fun thread like this and make it negative?

From above Jesse confirmed: "believe I may have seen 5 wins in a day at some point through extra MR vulture wins many years ago, but never through 5 games started have I seen 5/5 wins."

You just can't help yourself huh? Better to try to save face and try to "prove" you are right than just enjoy a good conversation huh? Sounds about right. Lots of that going on in the world lately.

*** as a side note, you can keep the "I deal with words for a living, and inexact ones can have bad consequences" garbage to yourself. This is a fantasy baseball board, no one needs your condescending attitude. Thanks!
      Last edited by Ken; 05-10-2021, 02:42 PM.

Comment

On Sunday, a team in my local league got wins from each of their 3 closers (Kimbrel, Robles, & Chapman). That has to be rare. I don't recall ever seeing that many wins in one day from closers on the same fantasy team.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
          On Sunday, a team in my local league got wins from each of their 3 closers (Kimbrel, Robles, & Chapman). That has to be rare. I don't recall ever seeing that many wins in one day from closers on the same fantasy team.
          Agreed. I’ve only seen 3 wins from a single team this year, let alone three from closers and then two more!

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
            Agreed. I’ve only seen 3 wins from a single team this year, let alone three from closers and then two more!
            I believe the extra inning rule starting innings with runners on 2nd greatly increases the win probability for closers.

I don't believe I've seen 3 closer vulture wins on 1 night before, but it seems much more statistically likely because of the new rule. I see only 1 of those 3 wins were accomplished before extra innings, only Chapman got the blown save then vulture win without the aid of "ghost runners".
            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

had a good night last night - 4 starts, 4 wins. Kershaw, Giolito, Morton & Mahle. Was hoping for a late bullpen win to make it 5 ...
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
              X