No announcement yet.

Draft Day(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to recent reports, the Giants were livid that the Eagles jumped ahead of them to take Devonta Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      According to recent reports, the Giants were livid that the Eagles jumped ahead of them to take Devonta Smith.
      Bill Belichick would never stand for that. He would definitely have someone pulling the fire alarm in the middle of a freezing cold night at the Eagle's team hotel on the eve of an important game. Just for the record, i do not condone this type of behavior.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

at first, I was stumped as to how the Cowboys - who, admittedly, are one of the dumbest franchises in the NFL - would enable the Eagles to move up and take a Heisman Trophy-winning WR who may be stomping on the 50-yard line Cowboys logo in Dallas for the next decade.

then I saw the draft order and - well, it's going to happen with an NFC East rival anyway, so might as well gain some draft capital out of it.

that said, seems like the Giants rebounded well with the trade with the Bears (unless Fields is a stud and Jones is a bust).
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Why are wide receivers "worth it" when it comes to spending big draft capital? They are involved so relatively infrequently. Plus, they appear to be very risky picks to begin with: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-the-nfl-draft
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

interesting study.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
              Why are wide receivers "worth it" when it comes to spending big draft capital? They are involved so relatively infrequently. Plus, they appear to be very risky picks to begin with: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-the-nfl-draft
              86-2010? Seems like the league has changed too much in the last 11 years to use that data, passing is so much more important than running now right?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                86-2010? Seems like the league has changed too much in the last 11 years to use that data, passing is so much more important than running now right?
                I dunno, the real question for me was why are WRs worth high picks when they are not used that often.

More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                  I don't like this study. It's pretty unscientific, as All-Pro and Pro Bowls are subjective and don't give the true value to a player's contributions. Also, a team may use 5-6 WRs during a single game while they would only use 1 QB or center, for example. Also, what's their qualification of "bust?" Using pro-football-reference's Career AV would have made this study better IMO.

I don't have a subscription plan to Sports Reference so I don't have access to their Draft Finder, but sorting recent drafts by CareerAV shows that WRs are routinely in the Top 12 of all players drafted:

WRs in Top 12 Career AV so far
                  2020 - 2
                  2019 - 3
                  2018 - 2
                  2017 - 0
                  2016 - 2
                  2015 - 3
                  2014 - 5
                  2013 - 3

Just eyeballing it shows they're in the Top 12 more frequently than any other position, at least over this short timeframe. But since I don't have the subscription, I'm not checking the bottom of the sorted list, and they may indeed have a very high failure rate. In fact, many 1st rd WRs have been major busts as determined by Career AV. In 2016 alone, 3 of the top 4 drafted WRs were major busts (Corey Coleman, Josh Doctson, Laquon Treadwell).

That said, the standard was always that WRs were late-bloomers, often needing 3-4 years to hit their stride, due to the perils of the position. Obviously with the NFL as it is today, keeping cheap, talented players benched no longer makes any sense. WRs are expected to be contributors immediately, but yet there are many who still need that 3-4 year timeframe, with good recent examples being Corey Davis & Breshad Perriman.

Comment

The chart I posted above did not note which round the WR was taken, so that might be true. But the question was how much of a team's draft capital should go towards a WR, and I think my chart shows how important they really are, no matter where they were taken. So by that token, if the position is indeed valuable, it stands to reason a team would use high draft capital on it.

Comment

Working...
                    X