No announcement yet.

The Chauvin Verdict.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like Chauvin has a documented history of violence toward African Americans. He is now being investigated by the feds for assaulting a 14-year-old boy during an arrest in 2017. In this incident Chauvin struck the boy with a flashlight causing a wound that needed stitches. He then used a choke hold on the boy for 8 minutes until he briefly lost consciousness and then used the all-too-familiar knee-on-the back maneuver for an additional 9 minutes while ignoring the teen's cries that he couldn't breathe. The judge in the George Floyd case refused to allow prosecutors to submit this video as evidence to show a pattern of brutality by Chauvin. And once again, the police report conveniently fails to mention any of the violence committed by the officer.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/chauvins-c...ry?id=77254006
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
      I'm decidedly less optimistic than you are.

What about Oklahoma? This article is from a week ago. I've just quoted the highlights.
      I'm very confident once the photos/videos of police gets challenged, it'll get crushed. I doubt it'll even make it to appellate court, but if it does, that part of the law will get tossed. So far, not state has had the gumption to take it to SCOTUS. I doubt Oklahoma will, either.

And there's a reason no state has taken any of the appellate challenges further - they're all taking the measure of SCOTUS, and are very sure they'll get their heads handed to them.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        I'm very confident once the photos/videos of police gets challenged, it'll get crushed. I doubt it'll even make it to appellate court, but if it does, that part of the law will get tossed. So far, not state has had the gumption to take it to SCOTUS. I doubt Oklahoma will, either.

And there's a reason no state has taken any of the appellate challenges further - they're all taking the measure of SCOTUS, and are very sure they'll get their heads handed to them.
        Not after it's expanded to 13.......
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          Not after it's expanded to 13.......
          Huh? Won't need to expand to get any challenge to video/photos is my point.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            Huh? Won't need to expand to get any challenge to video/photos is my point.
            Ahh, but this is a Virtual world now! Video/Photo supersedes all!
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

The Chauvin verdict is a start - but just that.

Having had a discussion with a local police officer, he completely agreed with the verdict. As far as the taser/gun issue, it doesn't matter if she had been on the force for 50 years. If an officer has never been in a situation where any type of weapon is needed, no amount of training can prepare him/her for that first encounter. The local officer feels that she made a mistake and no one should automatically decide that she is guilty. Listening and watching that video, it truly sounds like she was upset when she said, "I shot him". At that point she realized what she had done.

I'm interested to see what everyone thinks about the Ma'Khia Bryant shooting. Everyone quickly jumped on the anti-police bandwagon when the first reports were that she was followed home by a group of girls, she went into the house to get a knife to defend herself, and that the police officer should have known she was 16. That in itself begs so many questions. It turns out the incident resulted from a disagreement over housework and that the girl in the red, whom she was going to attack with the knife, was a former foster child of Ma'Khia's foster mom. Ma'Khai pushed past the officer after tackling the first girl. People keep saying it should have been de-escalated. How? Who was responsible for de-escalating that situation? The knife pulling was an instantaneous act and she had cocked her arm to swing it.

I'm so confused with this situation. My wife and I have discussed this at length, especially in light of the Chauvin trial. She and I both agreed that he was responsible and the verdicts were appropriate. We also both agree that the Bryant situation was unfortunate but justified.

Am I wrong? What am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by MagSeven View Post
                The Chauvin verdict is a start - but just that.

Having had a discussion with a local police officer, he completely agreed with the verdict. As far as the taser/gun issue, it doesn't matter if she had been on the force for 50 years. If an officer has never been in a situation where any type of weapon is needed, no amount of training can prepare him/her for that first encounter. The local officer feels that she made a mistake and no one should automatically decide that she is guilty. Listening and watching that video, it truly sounds like she was upset when she said, "I shot him". At that point she realized what she had done.

I'm interested to see what everyone thinks about the Ma'Khia Bryant shooting. Everyone quickly jumped on the anti-police bandwagon when the first reports were that she was followed home by a group of girls, she went into the house to get a knife to defend herself, and that the police officer should have known she was 16. That in itself begs so many questions. It turns out the incident resulted from a disagreement over housework and that the girl in the red, whom she was going to attack with the knife, was a former foster child of Ma'Khia's foster mom. Ma'Khai pushed past the officer after tackling the first girl. People keep saying it should have been de-escalated. How? Who was responsible for de-escalating that situation? The knife pulling was an instantaneous act and she had cocked her arm to swing it.

I'm so confused with this situation. My wife and I have discussed this at length, especially in light of the Chauvin trial. She and I both agreed that he was responsible and the verdicts were appropriate. We also both agree that the Bryant situation was unfortunate but justified.

Am I wrong? What am I missing?
                I think what you're missing is, this does not happen to white people in equal or more egregious situations.

It's as if law enforcement arrive at an incident involving people of color more anxious and/or scared and prepared to use deadly force.

Not saying they never use it on white folks, but there is absolutely an inequitable use of force and especially deadly force in cases where people of color are involved.

We're really not disputing or debating the justification regarding the use of deadly force (which is another subject altogether) but rather the disparity in which it is used.

If George Floyd had been white, the Chauvin case would have been exponentially less news worthy and no one would have accused the jury of being influenced by the potential protesters. He'd have been found guilty and sent to jail just the same.

I hope I explained what I see missing from my perspective well enough.

Edit. I guess the simplest way to put this is--when was the last time you heard of Police killing a white child/teen armed or not and/or a white unarmed individual? I can't for the life of me recall one outside of a mentally ill adult with a knife several years back.
                Last edited by GwynnInTheHall; 04-25-2021, 01:55 PM.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I think what you're missing is, this does not happen to white people in equal or more egregious situations.

It's as if law enforcement arrive at an incident involving people of color more anxious and/or scared and prepared to use deadly force.

Not saying they never use it on white folks, but there is absolutely an inequitable use of force and especially deadly force in cases where people of color are involved.

We're really not disputing or debating the justification regarding the use of deadly force (which is another subject altogether) but rather the disparity in which it is used.

If George Floyd had been white, the Chauvin case would have been exponentially less news worthy and no one would have accused the jury of being influenced by the potential protesters. He'd have been found guilty and sent to jail just the same.

I hope I explained what I see missing from my perspective well enough.
                  I don't dispute the fact that there is an inequitable use of force against people of color; of that I am a firm believer. If Ma'Khia Bryant had been white, how could that have been de-escalated without shooting?

I watched the video of the 61 y/o white guy that was swinging a hammer at police while in his pickup truck (after attacking a store employee with a hunk of wood) before speeding off while an officer was hanging onto his door. He was arrested and taken into custody without a shot being fired. And yes, I believe that if that man had been black, he would have been shot before he had a chance to drive away.

Comment

Originally posted by MagSeven View Post
                    I don't dispute the fact that there is an inequitable use of force against people of color; of that I am a firm believer. If Ma'Khia Bryant had been white, how could that have been de-escalated without shooting?

I watched the video of the 61 y/o white guy that was swinging a hammer at police while in his pickup truck (after attacking a store employee with a hunk of wood) before speeding off while an officer was hanging onto his door. He was arrested and taken into custody without a shot being fired. And yes, I believe that if that man had been black, he would have been shot before he had a chance to drive away.
                    I don't have the answer for the Bryant case, but you may have answered it yourself--if she'd been white--they'd have found a way to de escalate as the seem to have done in most every incident prior involving white teens/kids. heck even a tazer should have been considered first. But there are ways, as they've been used on White folks repeatedly

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

22.5 years.

He'll appeal of course.

Now there's the Federal charges to deal with.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

22.5 years.

He'll appeal of course.

Now there's the Federal charges to deal with.
                        Chauvin may end up only serving 15 years in prison. Under Minnesota law Chauvin will have to serve two-thirds of his sentence in prison (15 years), ​and he will be eligible for supervised release for the other 7 and a half years.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                          Chauvin may end up only serving 15 years in prison. Under Minnesota law Chauvin will have to serve two-thirds of his sentence in prison (15 years), ​and he will be eligible for supervised release for the other 7 and a half years.
                          He's also facing Federal charges, so if convicted, could spend much longer in prison...I still would have liked to see the 30 years that the prosecution asked for though.

Either way, 15 years as a former cop in prison is a VERY long time. Many ex cops end up in solitary confinement for their own safely...
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

You hate every cop and you're fucking wrong.

I believe the woman made a mistake and I am as as skeptical as anyone.

Your rage blinds you to reason.

Yes things still are not great but the Chauvin Verdict is a step if you can't see it you're just a bloodlust fucktard.
                            GITH was such a scumbag towards me, wow. I'm just a "bloodlust fucktard blinded to reason". All of this without me having even addressed him.

I guess the jury found my evidence about the differences between tasers and handguns (which I laid out in this thread) convincing enough to convict her of 1st and 2nd degree manslaughter.

I guess every blind bloodlust fucktard finds a nut now and then.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...s-dea-rcna9408
                            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Look at how unconvincing this woman was on the stand in her own trial. She pretends to cry for about 3 minutes, blubbering, voice shaking, scrunched up her face. Yet in the whole 3 minutes of "crying", she uses a tissue once, for a millisecond, and tosses it aside DRY.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...wrigh-rcna9026

I wasn't convinced by her acting from the body cam, fake crying that she was going to go to prison, fake crying that she wanted to kill herself. She's lied from the start. When asked for details on the stand, she claims to remember yelling "taser", but not remembering much after that. I'm sure her credibility was torn to shreds over 27 hours of deliberation. Her intent was never part of the trial, these convictions assume it was a deadly mistake. But she revealed her untruthfulness, as all cops lie all of the time, and I'm glad 12 jurors saw through her bullshit.
                              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                                Either way, 15 years as a former cop in prison is a VERY long time. Many ex cops end up in solitary confinement for their own safely...
                                Chauvin was stabbed Friday at a federal prison in Arizona and is in stable condition at a nearby hospital.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X