Any cyclists here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any cyclists here?

Thinking of buying a new bike and have alternatingly thought about a mountain bike, a hybrid, or a road bike. I will be riding it on the streets 99% of the time. Maybe just a little gravel and dirt ridiing. Definitely want a big frame for a tall guy. I'd like the 29" tires, I think. I'm currently thinking about getting a road bike with a flat bar or maybe just a comfort hybrid. I dunno, maybe a mountain bike with slick tires. Any thoughts from the Pen?
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

I've been cycling regularly (at least when my leg's not broken) for years for exercise and recreation. I consider it one of the best purchases I've ever made. Mine is a road bike with curved handles and I ride it mostly on streets and country roads, altho sometimes I take it on unpaved trails, which it's not built for but I do it anyway. The bike is a Surly Long-Haul Trucker and it's earned the nickname "tank" bicycle. It's very sturdy. I accidently rode it into a curb once, which broke my leg but the bike was completely undamaged. If you're going to be on streets all the time, I wouldnt get a mountain bike. I highly recommend cycling and if you've never cycled before I can give you a few tips that you might not generally hear about.

Comment

I used to do a lot of cycling including a few self-contained bike-camping adventures. I still have my old Diamond Back mountain bike (alum frame, super light), but now have near-slicks on it as I haven't done any off-road riding in a while - rode that when in the city & it was great for short trips. But I moved a couple of years ago into a rural area & am seriously thinking of getting a road bike - it's a great area for Sunday am rides ... if my knee can handle it ...
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
        I used to do a lot of cycling including a few self-contained bike-camping adventures. I still have my old Diamond Back mountain bike (alum frame, super light), but now have near-slicks on it as I haven't done any off-road riding in a while - rode that when in the city & it was great for short trips. But I moved a couple of years ago into a rural area & am seriously thinking of getting a road bike - it's a great area for Sunday am rides ... if my knee can handle it ...
        I too have a Diamond Back mountain bike (K2) but haven't ridden in years after breaking my ribs twice, doh! But we're renting a house in Colorado for the month of July so I'm going to have to get it tuned up for the trip.

As for the original question, I would not get a mountain bike for city riding and have thought about getting an road bike and selling my mountain bike after getting it cleaned up.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
          I've been cycling regularly (at least when my leg's not broken) for years for exercise and recreation. I consider it one of the best purchases I've ever made. Mine is a road bike with curved handles and I ride it mostly on streets and country roads, altho sometimes I take it on unpaved trails, which it's not built for but I do it anyway. The bike is a Surly Long-Haul Trucker and it's earned the nickname "tank" bicycle. It's very sturdy. I accidently rode it into a curb once, which broke my leg but the bike was completely undamaged. If you're going to be on streets all the time, I wouldnt get a mountain bike. I highly recommend cycling and if you've never cycled before I can give you a few tips that you might not generally hear about.
          That's a nice bike!
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I started riding last year when I retired, and the recommendation from the Bike shop was a hybrid. So that's what I got and I couldn't be happier with the results. Flat handlebar, 24 speed, disc brakes, and semi skinny tires that are great on the roads, but OK on dirt. Love the thing...

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Mine's a step down from Hornsby's - but same concept and a Trek as well. Also love it.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
              X