Interesting rules question re: real baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting rules question re: real baseball

The recent near perfect games got me to thinking of whether a perfect game taken into the 10th inning w the pitcher retiring the side in order would still be counted as a perfect game. The new rule mandates that there be a runner on base to start the inning but the pitcher didnt put him there so is this still perfect? You possibly could have a run score even tho the pitcher retired every batter he faced. I dont know what the rule says about this but I dont see how this could be a perfect game. Probably will never happen but what if? Just one more reason I dislike this rule.

ROTFLMAO. Great question. I have no idea. I'll still never hate the rule because of the league I won last year because of it, but sheez, I have no idea. Perfect game loss. Coming soon to a stadium near you.

Comment

The auto runner does NOT count against a perfect game or no hitter.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        The auto runner does NOT count against a perfect game or no hitter.
        Then it is possible to lose a perfect game, which makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
          Then it is possible to lose a perfect game, which makes no sense.
          Well, MLB rules already had stated that a perfect game or no-hitter had to be NINE innings, so one of the 7 inning variety wouldn't have counted anyway.

Comment

if a closer enters a game in the bottom of the 10th with a 3-2 lead, and the inherited runner on second base scores - is it a blown save?

managers for years have gamed the system to keep their most favored reliever from entering games with anyone on base (I can't explain it, either). if this example is a blown save, I guess the illogical next step is not to use your closer in that spot so as to keep his save percentage high?).

don't laugh - just a few years ago Buck Showalter ended the Orioles season by refusing to pitch Britton (0.57 ERA, 47 SV) in a game tied in extra innings. instead he waited for the lead that never came.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

And we might see the 1st 7 inning no no, as MadBum needs one more out .

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                And we might see the 1st 7 inning no no, as MadBum needs one more out .
                This is why we can't give up too fast on guys. Bum looked DONE, but still had this game in the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  This is why we can't give up too fast on guys. Bum looked DONE, but still had this game in the tank.
                  The umpire was very friendly on the corners, and he located well for the most part. His stuff didn't look super special or anything. And the Braves hitting is a complete dumpster fire right now.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                    The umpire was very friendly on the corners, and he located well for the most part. His stuff didn't look super special or anything. And the Braves hitting is a complete dumpster fire right now.
                    What the heck is up with the Braves? I just bought low on Swanson, so I am hoping he and they come around. It is surprising how bad that have collectively been. It is also strange to me that it isn't just slow or fast starting players this year, it seems to be team wide in many cases. Did some teams do a better job of getting ready for the season? It that typical and I just don't remember it being as much of a thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      Sell high.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                        Sell high.
                        Oh, I own no shares and don't plan on having any, but my pal who has been is kicking himself for not having him in the line up. He showed signed of viability in the previous game and this is gonna end up being the gem of the season for Bum. Always stings when you miss that gem.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                          Sell high.
                          Or trade him for Giolito!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            Or trade him for Giolito!
                            Sadly, only one owner in my league ever sells low. Interestingly, to me, no one ever buys low either, at least not for anyone with legit concerns. I cannot give Patrick Corbin away, for instance, but if you think you will get Gleyber Torres, for another instance for anything less than 100% of preseason projected value, you will be disappointed. I don't know how normal that is, but yeah, very, very little selling low or buying low in my league. I took a gamble on Swanson from the one owner who will sell low this early. I have concerns about him, but he can't be as bad as he has shown so far.

Comment

I wonder if there is a way that MLB can put in an umpire error rule. For example, tonight, Montas had finished a six inning, one run effort, by striking out Brett Phillips looking. It was pretty obvious. Umpire just blew it. He had a 2-1 lead. Then the next pitch, he misses location, and 2-run HR. Those should be ER to the ump, not my fantasy team!

Comment

Working...
                              X