No announcement yet.

Fantasy league question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I've found is that in a league with guys who aren't friends/acquaintances, there's just more toxicity. People don't give each other the benefit of the doubt. People are more likely to have poor communication. They look for loopholes to exploit instead of trusting the "spirit of the rule" sort of thing.

I don't need to be best buddies with the league. But dealing with a bunch of randos makes me hate people.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefe View Post
      What I've found is that in a league with guys who aren't friends/acquaintances, there's just more toxicity. People don't give each other the benefit of the doubt. People are more likely to have poor communication. They look for loopholes to exploit instead of trusting the "spirit of the rule" sort of thing.

I don't need to be best buddies with the league. But dealing with a bunch of randos makes me hate people.
      I’ve found the opposite to be true in the past. Back 20 years or so ago we had drinking buddies make drunk trades on a night out. One owner in our league many moons ago drafted Ricky Hendersonfor 66 $ and said he would never trade him . Went on a fishing trip with a few friends for a week( 1 being my brother) and on their return - he had traded him away for a bag of magic beans.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
        Sounds like some librarian guy i know.

I guess it all depends on your definition of friends and your main reason for wanting to be in the league.

I consider all of the guys in my local league to be friends even though i only see them once or twice a year and two of them moved out of state a few years back. Occasional e-mails, text messages, and league message board are usually our only methods of communication during the season unless i run into someone at Walmart. My league was made up of friends that i already knew when i joined 22 years ago. But, i didn't join with the expectation that the league was going to fill up my social calendar. I joined because i was looking for a competitive game to play and provide me with 6 months of entertainment. It just so happened that it was a bunch of guys from my hometown area that i was already friends with. Some of those friends left and i made friends with the new guys that joined. When a league has been around for a long time there are going to be changes in membership.

I also play in some public leagues where i don't know anyone. And i enjoy those as well. Having friends in a league is always preferred. Although, it's not a requirement for me. But, i guess everyone has different expectations of what a league should be like.
        I was an original member of Madducks league. This year the last original member of the league quit, so no more OG's in that league. It was fun for me no matter who was in the league, but more fun when there were close friends making up the majority of the league.

I didn't quit because of the makeup of the league members, I just no longer had the desire to participate and spend the time necessary to compete.

One thing that did sort of sway my decision was the inevitability of doing the draft online. While online is more efficient, it blows compared to a live auction draft.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
          I’ve found the opposite to be true in the past. Back 20 years or so ago we had drinking buddies make drunk trades on a night out. One owner in our league many moons ago drafted Ricky Hendersonfor 66 $ and said he would never trade him . Went on a fishing trip with a few friends for a week( 1 being my brother) and on their return - he had traded him away for a bag of magic beans.
          What ever happened to the magic beans? We can't fully evaluate the merits of the trade until we know what they became.

Comment

My commish traded a player for a snickers bar in year one of our league back in 1994, in high school. But the league evolved and became more serious. We still have lots of owners from the early days and I enjoy that aspect of it. I have dabbled in other leagues over the years, but they come and go. I have been successful in them, but I do not find the victories as rewarding. I like crushing my friends more than strangers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              I was an original member of Madducks league. This year the last original member of the league quit, so no more OG's in that league. It was fun for me no matter who was in the league, but more fun when there were close friends making up the majority of the league.

I didn't quit because of the makeup of the league members, I just no longer had the desire to participate and spend the time necessary to compete.

One thing that did sort of sway my decision was the inevitability of doing the draft online. While online is more efficient, it blows compared to a live auction draft.
              This is a great point. I'd estimate at least half of my friends would quit if not for our annual live auction trips.

During March Madness this year, I created a draft of the top 64 "Shining Moments" from nearly 20 years of these trips. It's been quite the ride.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post

We plan on going back to the live auction next year. And we already have a vacancy. Let me know when you are ready to return.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Jefe View Post
                  I’m curious if most of you guys are friends with the guys in your leagues or at least have some sort of relationship with them outside of fantasy? And if you’ve done it both ways what do you prefer?

My baseball league is 21 years old and it started out with everyone being local and me as Commissioner having some relationship with most of them, or at most someone might be 1° out. Now, after all this time, over half the league is two and 3° out and the number of people I consider friends I could count on one hand. And it’s really sucked the fun out of it for me. I’m thinking this is probably my last year. Which is kind of sad but maybe it’s time.
                  I'm only still playing because it's the way that I keep in touch with the people from my league. Some of them I used to work with and others I became friends with just from getting to know them during our time in the league. The guy that brought many of us into the league passed away in 2010 and the memory of him is a major reason why we keep it going. His son, now in college, now co-owns a team.

If, in 2021, I were asked to play FB for the first time, I wouldn't. All the discussion is about launch angle and exit velocity and spin rate and a bunch of other things I just don't care about.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Sounds like some librarian guy i know.
                    Did he quit FB for good? Was it because the Astros deliberately messed with his fantasy team?
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                      Did he quit FB for good? Was it because the Astros deliberately messed with his fantasy team?
                      I think he still uses fit bit
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

No. Mith walks to the beat of a different garbage can.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

We plan on going back to the live auction next year. And we already have a vacancy. Let me know when you are ready to return.
                          I'll believe that when it happens!

No thanks on the offer though.
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I'm only still playing because it's the way that I keep in touch with the people from my league. Some of them I used to work with and others I became friends with just from getting to know them during our time in the league. The guy that brought many of us into the league passed away in 2010 and the memory of him is a major reason why we keep it going. His son, now in college, now co-owns a team.

If, in 2021, I were asked to play FB for the first time, I wouldn't. All the discussion is about launch angle and exit velocity and spin rate and a bunch of other things I just don't care about.
                            Agree.

Comment

Weird, I've had a blast playing this year and havent considered launch angle or exit velocity or spin rate at all.

Those are new data points to consider, for sure, but I don't know that they are *required* in order to compete.
                              Last edited by Ken; 04-15-2021, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Had to have PONY online this year, but really looking forward to eating pink donuts and ripping on Frae's Barbie laptop in-person again next year.

Can we get a Vegas draft RJEL league going so that we are all forced to meet up in Vegas once a year?
                                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                                X