Sports Memorabilia Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports Memorabilia Thread

Sharky's post in the Pirates thread got me thinking, why haven't we ever had a thread on Sports Memorabilia?

I'm an avid collector, with a primary focus on baseball HOFers. I probably have over 100 autographed baseballs, with my best being 2 Mickey Mantle signed balls, a Ted Williams baseball, a Joe DiMaggio autographed picture, and a ball signed by Koufax, Snider, Mays, Lefty Grove & Kiner. I also have over 100 autographed HOF plaque postcards, index cards and photos from other hall of famers like Pee Wee Reese, Freddie Frisch, George Sisler, and many others, from the known to the obscure.

I bought most of my collection in the early 2000s, but recently started adding to it again. I purchased autographed baseballs of Gary Carter, Don Sutton, Whitey Herzog & Jim Bunning last week, and am now contemplating buying Darryl Kile and Ken Caminiti signed baseballs.

I have them all displayed in a room my wife and I use as an office/gym, and while I love it, she hates it, LOL. I got her into it back then, and she did well buying Lucille Ball autographed items, but she generally has no interest.

I also bought a bunch of other autographed items back in the day from notables like J. Edgar Hoover, Sir Edmund Hillary, Bob Hope, and a bunch of other celebrities or politicians (including Joe McCarthy!), but haven't gotten into those as much.

My uncle's wife's aunt died a few years ago, and she was her last known relative, so they went to the apartment and discovered a treasure trove of autographed baseballs. Apparently she was a rabid baseball fan back in the 1940s and 1950s, and had about 25 baseballs autographed by entire teams, from the Brooklyn Dodgers to the Chicago White Sox. I told him to get them authenticated and sell them at auction, and he did, selling the collection for over $25,000. An early 1950s ball with Jackie Robinson was the biggest winner, and he had another with Nellie Fox (an extremely rare autograph) that sold for a few grand.

You have some very nice stuff. I enjoyed reading about it.

I am pretty sure we had a thread about this many years ago. It is good to bring it back.

I was an avid collector from the early 90's to the early 2000's. Unfortunately I had to sell off many of my best pieces when some things got rough.

I did keep some of my more sentimental and less valuable pieces. I will post about both in the next few days.

Comment

I don’t really collect but I did get an awesome gift when I was sick. 1995 UNC basketball team autograph (Stackhouse, Rasheed Wallace) and a note on it that says Dear Seth, Get Well Soon from Dean Smith.

Other than that, just some Michigan stuff - nothing crazy. Woodson autograph, Braylon Edwards autograph.

Comment

The multi-million dollar collection of a Tampa doctor who died of COVID is going to auction next month.

https://memorylaneinc.com/smr21-newm...s-release.html
        Dr. Newman's son, Stewart, said as a youngster in the 1980s he happily traveled each summer across the country with his father to attend the annual National Sports Collectors Convention. "The only downside is that I never got a lunch break because he was on the go from the minute we entered the convention hall," he recalled.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I once tried to get Pete Rose to sign a pre season ticket for Cinn to win it all from the Mirage...His agent wouldn't let him sign it because it was deemed gambling apparatus.

I just thought it was funny.

Apparently not in Roseland
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I added a few more SS auto'd baseballs to the collection since this initial post: Jim Bunning, Joe Morgan, Whitey Herzog & Don Sutton. Got outbid on a few others, but I think I'm good for now with buying stuff.

Comment

Working...
            X