Bowl bought for $35 at Yard Sale sells for $720k at Auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowl bought for $35 at Yard Sale sells for $720k at Auction

The person who bought the bowl clearly knew it was worth far more than $35. For every person who finds a fortune, remember some poor bastard lost a fortune.

If I was the buyer, I'd probably feel too guilty and go back and give them $100k or so, just so they don't commit suicide!

"An exceptionally rare 15th-century Chinese antique that wound up at a yard sale has sold for $721,800 at auction by Sotheby's, exceeding its top estimated sale price of half a million dollars.

Bought for just $35 near New Haven, Connecticut, last year, the small blue-and-white floral bowl is now worth nearly 29,000 times that price. It features motifs of lotus, peony, chrysanthemum and pomegranate blossoms, and was originally commissioned by China's imperial court during the Ming dynasty.

While Sotheby's is not disclosing the seller's identity, the head of its Chinese art department, Angela McAteer, revealed in a phone interview ahead of the sale that the man who found the bowl at the yard sale "didn't haggle over the $35 asking price."
    An exceptionally rare 15th-century Chinese antique that wound up at a Connecticut yard sale sold for well over its auction estimate during Sotheby’s “Asia Week.”

I have a "teacart" in my dining room that has been passed down (at minimum from my great grandmother). My wife asked me the other day if she should paint it and I recommended not to do so. It has Japanese style art painted on it. Not in great condition at all. I wonder though if it's worth anything at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      I have a "teacart" in my dining room that has been passed down (at minimum from my great grandmother). My wife asked me the other day if she should paint it and I recommended not to do so. It has Japanese style art painted on it. Not in great condition at all. I wonder though if it's worth anything at all.
      I will give you $35 for it.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
        I will give you $35 for it.
        you may be overpaying...

Comment

My best flip was a CD that I bought for 10 cents (in the demo/promo/cd-r bin) by a band called Stars. Turned out to be a self-released cd-r from the actual Toronto band, no trace of it existing anywhere with a few unreleased songs. So I got $150 for it on discogs, but as a 1/1, I wonder if I'd have been better off hanging onto it. If I was really into the band I might have.

Usually I'm the one getting suckered in trades in real life. I just gave up my entire cd collection, 650 or so, for 6 pieces of vinyl, downsizing to move. But one of the 6 records was Sam Cooke's Live at Harlem Square Club, which allowed me to feel good about the swap.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
          X