Judge Jude's 2021 Anatomy of an Auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judge Jude's 2021 Anatomy of an Auction

Somebody here must have said my name 3 times, so....

KEEPERS, 0 for 0

yes, 0 for 0. in a keeper league.

where to begin?
    our league - which began in 1984 and which still has two original owners (including me) and had four others from the 1980s, four from the early 1990s, and two "new kids on the block" from 2002 - suffered the death of one of those 1980s owners in January.

he was a year younger than me and went to the same high school. 8 of us were older than he was when he passed.

we also took 2020 off in "it never happened" form, as 4 owners just didn't have the stomach for the way the preseason shenanigans played out.

this led to a bonanza for those with farmhands who go into 2021 as 5-S2 contracts, like Bohm, KHayes, Carlson, Gonsolin.
    or with studs who after a skipped year are only 5-S1 now, like Tatis, Fried, Grisham, Robles.
    or players who would have played out Year 4 final in 2020 a 15-L1 but instead do that this year, like Bellinger and Hoskins.
    and so on.

I went aggressive at the 2019 trading deadline and it crapped out, so I had a weak freeze list made exponentially weaker by a series of unfortunate events (for me, league-wise).

the main assets I had were lame ducks Realmuto 13, CSmith 1, and Marquez 10. last month, I realized that since I am doomed anyway in 2021, why not just START OVER?

so I dealt Realmuto and Smith for draft picks - and learned a little when Marquez drew nary a nibble.

I have Heliot Ramos, Baty, and McLain (if an NL team picks him in the farm draft this summer) in my farm, and by finishing 6th in 2019 I will take Lucky Luciano of SF with the first pick of the April 15 draft. I also pick 7th and 12th in this loaded April draft (since 2020 never happened), so looking at a possible Veen, AThomas, Bart type at 7 and Hassell, Mitchell, Liberatore level at 12.

I also may have the first pick in the July draft (since I'm rebuilding), and also have another of the 11 June picks. plus I have two first-round picks in April 2021 (8-team max farm list, but I have room).

so I walk in to the NL 11-team, 260-unit traditional 5x5 auction for 2021 (we just didn't feel like adding a 12th owner) with.. nothing.

WRINKLE:

Because the average age of our owners is about 65 (oldest is 78), and many had never been on Zoom or anything similar, our youngest owner - early 50s - set us up with WebEx Thursday night.

in the pre-game, the 1980s called and asked for one owner's modem back. two others didn't have any headphones at all, either, and few had add-on cameras. one had a loud dog barking at times, leading to a query of "Who let the dog IN?"

but we persevered through one round, before we begin the auction in earnest on Saturday night.

it went:

SP Max Scherzer 30 - I bid 29
    3B Nolan Arenado 36 (!)
    SS Trea Turner 44 TO ME
    2S Jonathan Villar 8 - I bid 7
    SP Luis Castillo 30
    SP Trevor Bauer 37 - I bid 36
    SS Francisco Lindor 40
    OF Mookie Betts 50
    2B Kolten Wong 20 - I bid 19
    SS Trevor Story 46
    C Willson Contreras 18 - I bid 17

I went after every player, actually, but... still, Turner might be most suited for my (formerly blank) roster and game plan - keeper, or bait for a massive rebuilding trade?
    and while I had 5 runnerup bids on the other 10 players called out, I'm not confident I'd have gotten any with "just one more." in fact, the Castillo buyer told me he had 35 units set aside.
    I did suck out of some of the pre-draft inflation, I suppose.

so my "keeper list" entering the main draw:

1 for 44
    SS TREA TURNER 44-S2
    NEED 22 for 216

GAME PLAN

I sort of wish I got a second player, but that mood may change by Sunday.

best remaining SPs are Nola and Hendricks, but there are about 5 others worth 15+ and up to 10 others worth 10+. I'll be willing to overpay for a couple, as these 216 units are non-refundable.

NL bullpens are a joke, of course - which is an opportunity when you're playing for 2022. nobody who can fog a mirror will go for a digestible price, so I'll monitor and presumably pass. same for Cs, where ANola/d'Arnaud are the "elite" leftovers.

1B is tasty, 6 to 8 available worth 10 or 15 or more - though Freeman and Bellinger are gone. 3B not as deep but ESuarez, JTurner, Segura.

2B is weak - Hiura, KMarte, or Segura or bust. SS has Baez and Swanson leading the way.

OF outlook is better, with the top 5 gone but SMarte, Harper, Ozuna, Blackmon, Pham, DSmith and at least a dozen more worth trying for 10+ units.

biggest challenge, as noted, is spending. I was mildly aggressive on Thursday - but only closed one deal. I need to land some star players by any means necessary - even if they'll just be dumped at midseason.

leaning severe stars and scrubs. if I can get 2 good SPs at possible 2022 keeper prices and luck into a closer, I'd be pleased. willing to buy up to 5 or 6 dollar-days SPs and 3 or 4 similar hitters - in part because having one fewer team after 20+ years of 12-team may lead some owners to run out of roster spots before they run out of money.

will look hard at wounded SPs like Thor, Clevenger, and so forth. I'm looking at a 2022 price - don't care if they do anything in 2021. but it is a Mets-loving league.

I always have liked to shake things up, and after all these years I am the first ever to submit an empty freeze list. kinf of cool.

it took 20 years, but the 5-S2 prices for farmhands in this league and better breakout percentages make it almost impossible to win the old-fashioned way anymore (the 2-time defending champ of 2018-19 won with my Albies, Bell, Acuna, and Buehler that I shipped out to cement my own 2015 and 2017 titles).

so I'm finally zigging, after all these years of zagging by selling farmhands for whatever I needed in the moment forever (once traded farmhand Helton - then at 10 units - for a half-season of HR McGwire. only finished 3rd, but no regrets on any of those deals, carpe diem, baby).

expecting to report back here with the "real" Anatomy sometime on Sunday...
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    leaning severe stars and scrubs.
    Totally agree if you're not planning to contend in 2021. Good luck.

Condolences on the death of your leaguemate.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

My condolences as well. We've lost two from my long-time auction league now.

Definitely agree with S&S as your strategy. Love your buy of Turner for that purpose. In the next group, I'd just go get Harper, price be damned unless you have salary cap issues in your league that would make a dump deal difficult.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Can be pretty fun to rebuild completely like this. Embrace it and all the young guys that you'll get a crush for.

Comment

thanks, fellas.

no restrictions on salaries in dump deals.

in the mid-2000s, I wound up in an epic battle with another squad - around the time of new talk of limiting active rosters to 320 or 350 units, or whatever.

as dump season neared, I polled the "peacetime" owners as to whether they would be uncomfortable with a veritable nuclear war of dumping.

to a man, they said they loved it. they all got to sell off their own pieces to the higher bidder, no restrictions - AND, they basically said, they had the popcorn ready.

we both soared past 400 units, with "super teams" with large helpins of mercenary lame ducks and good-but-unkeepables.

the other owner wound up being the only one in league history to win all of the hitting categories (this was 5x5, but it also never happened even in 4x4).

I still beat him, 105.5 pts to 101.5 - the latter a total that would have won virtually every other 5x5 race. he had a crappy Ratio that no amount of tweaking could heal, mainly.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Heeeeeeeeeeee'ssssss baaaaaaaacccccckkkkkk!!!

(Sad to hear about your leaguemate...my condolences to your league and his family. )

Wow, a complete teardown and rebuild from scratch. That's an interesting and exciting place to be, as the league is your oyster...so to speak. I can't wait to read your recap and see what you bring home, as you're normally measured in your approach. This gives you the freedom to be a little reckless where you want, but still targeted & systemic in your overall approach. It may be the most fun you've had at auction in several years. Good luck!

(And it looks like you've already gotten a deal by paying $44 for Turner, as compared to $50 for Mookie and $46 for Story. That's a nice start!)
            2021 Auction Anatomy
            2021 Keeper Decisions
            2020 Auction Anatomy
            2020 Pre-Auction
            2015 Auction Anatomy
            2014 Auction Anatomy
            2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
            RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

with 3 hours to go, my wish list with 2 examples each
              some will go for more, but not all
              sure, this may blow up by the end of the first(second) round, but what the heck
              will likely draft more "crickets" late after going more the big-game hunting route than this suggests

SP 30 Nola Hendricks
              SP 20 Snell SGray
              SP 13 Corbin Thor
              SP 7 Stroman CMartinez
              SP 1
              SR 1
              RP 5 DWilliams YGarcia
              RP 1
              RP 1

C 1
              C 1
              1B 25 JBell DSmith
              3B 20 Bryant Escobar
              13 1
              2B 28 Albies KMarte
              SS 44 TURNER
              2S 1

OF 35 Harper Ozuna
              OF 12 ADickerson CDickerson
              OF 8 AGarcia Alford
              OF 3 Calhoun DL Bader DL
              OF 1
              UT 1

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

to paraphrase Mike Tyson, "Everybody has a plan until they punch themselves in the mouth."

pizza delivery takes an hour, so I barely wolf down 2 slices as the auction begins.
                lost my glasses 5 minutes before kickoff.
                now, not exactly a "Burgess Meredith in the Twilight Zone episode" scenario, as these are just the lowest-level "cheater glasses" to read small print. mainly mattered to read my own scribble of units remaining, so that kind of got crowd-sourced every couple of rounds.

lowlights:
                one guy in his mid-60s just could not grasp the mute function with Zoom, like at all. he'd tell us "I'm on mute," and we'd try to explain that when we hear that, um, it's not working.
                at first it was a dog barking (apparently the dog makes the house rules), but then there was some sort of tech thing that made a sound like a combination blender/band saw. no matter how we tried to explain the situation, he just didn't get it.
                drove us all nuts, but especially one owner who during a brief break went on a tirade with his rival owner who was drafting in the same room. first his takeaway was how many Zoom calls he does a week, and that kind of incompetence gets you fired. we're all saying, "uh, we can hear you" (luckily the offending owner was in the rest room). the irony is that what that guy did might get you disciplined and given one week to get your act together. what gets you FIRED is bad-mouthing half the room (he branched out during the rant), when we can all hear him. so that was.... unpleasant.

anyway, will get this started at least and fill in more details tomorrow. this moved so fast and I was so discombobulated that I don't know what to think of this collection.

KEPT Trea Turner (from Thursday's first round), NEED 22 for 216.

DIDI GREGORIUS 17 - I sat out the entire first round, reluctantly, as prices went through the roof. The first player at near-market price was Didi - which sucked because who I really wanted was Swanson at around the same price. so 2 players in, I already own two SS-onlies. sure enough, along comes Swanson who goes for 14. it was just too early for me to lose the UT slot. brutally bad luck there. NEED 21 for 199.

AARON NOLA 32 - The insane prices pretty much guaranteed that there would be abundant bargains late. But units - you can't take them with you. I always say the crazier the room, the closer to crazy you have to be yourself. It's the best SP on the board, and while likely unkeepable he could fetch a bonanza from a contender around Memorial Day. NEED 20 for 167

CHARLIE BLACKMON 32 - Same sentiment as Nola. There were no reasonable prices, and I need to add talent and shed units. NEED 19 for 135

AJ POLLOCK 17 - Boring, and don't see any upside, but he's a good player. NEED 18 for 118

CARLOS CARRASCO 16 (DL) - Nearly had him at 12 and 14, and got a brutal buddy-fock bid of 15. We had sort of agreed that with Zoom (actually WebEx), there wasn't as much room for the old "to be or not to be" dance. So I hate-bid 16 in response and got him. NEED 17 for 102

JOSH FUENTES 13 - Can't really explain this one, other than that I felt the urge to chase after a "Black Swan." it won't be Fuentes, but he got me into that lottery at least. Also my first corner guy. NEED 16 for 89

SONNY GRAY 16 (DL) - Okay, this is more like it. Possible 2022 keeper and might I have a good front of a rotation by midseason? A boy can dream. NEED 15 for 73

JEAN SEGURA 17 - This 17-unit guy is versatile, at least. Not what I was looking for, but you take value where it arises. NEED 14 for 56

TAJUAN WALKER 10 - Huh, and this in a Mets-loving league. Is he hurt? NEED 13 for 46

LORENZO CAIN 14 - I dunno. Dead-cat bounce for SB to pair with Turner? It's all a blur, then and now. NEED 12 for 32

JOEY VOTTO 10 - Ugh, I always get stuck with this guy. Zero upside left in an AVG not OBP league. Will be my last double-digit buy, but the board is LOADED with talent that outstrips the league's remaining supply of units so I don't need a lot of units. NEED 11 for 22 and now I'll be sitting out a few rounds. most teams tended to need about 8 players for 50 units, so I just have to let them spend themselves dry as I wait.

to be continued.....
                Last edited by Judge Jude; 04-03-2021, 11:32 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Welcome back, JJ, and my condolences. Thrilled to see you post this yet again; it adds to the general sense of a return to “normal” (whatever that is...). Can’t wait to hear how it turned out.

I would not be afraid to trade Turner for a solid return. I personally think his SB will be way down with a move to third in the batting order. And I think people haven’t figured that out yet. So I like him a lot but think he’s not a keeper for you.

Agree with you on the targets. And lots of minor league talent available to restock the ladder. Best of luck!

Comment

JACOB STALLINGS 2 - Starting catcher who can fog a mirror on a good day. Can live with it. NEED 10 for 20

STL KIM 2 (DL) - Again, thinking maybe he's something in 2002. my 3rd SP on the DL. NEED 9 for 18 and again I'll have to wait for the dust to settle.

DONOVAN SOLANO 2 - One owner was down to 1 hitter for 4 units, so I figured tiny-price-enforce. nothing. panicked at first when I thought I lost the UT slot, but Segura saves the day. NEED 8 for 16.

JOAKIM SORIA 4 - The offending Carrasco owner seemed so hopeful here that I wanted to crush his dream. Thought I'd get Crichton later but he went while I was scrambling to get my act together. Had not done my due diligence here. obvious? NEED 7 for 12

DAVID PRICE 3 - The only hard part was that there were so many decent pitchers left that every buy had an "opportunity cost." But could be a 2022 steal. NEED 6 for 9

BRUSDAL GRATEROL 2 (DL) - Thought sure I'd get for a buck, and was torn to buy here. But you open your mouth at this stage, you wear the player. NEED 5 for 7

JOHN GANT 2 - Shocked that he was nominated here - and HQ LOVE love loves him, as starter or reliever. Price is right - but this is my last pitching slot. Did not feel great about this. NEED 4 for 5

EDWIN RIOS 2 - I could hear the offending "rant" owner whispering to his pal that I was the only owner who left who could 2 on a hitter. That alone made it tempting. But I was going to nominate him for 2 myself - a lot can happen by the 2022 season opener. NEED 3 for 3, all hitters.

CURT CASALI 1 - With our limited drops of active players, a guy with a Joey Bart target on his back is okay. If he sucks, I can start over with a C opening. NEED 2 for 2

YONATHAN DAZA 1 - I don't feel a need to "win now," so I can be patient with a young Rockies OF. NEED 1 for 1

HARRISON BADER 1 (DL) - Redux except Cardinals OF. DONE

REPLACEMENTS
                    for Carrasco, SGray, Kim, Graterol:
                    Weaver, Rainey, Minter, Lindbom

for Bader:
                    PIT Fowler

ROSTER

SP Aaron Nola 32
                    SP Sonny Gray 16 (DL)/Luke Weaver
                    SP Carlos Carrasco 16 (DL)/Josh Lindblom
                    SP Taijuan Walker 10
                    SR David Price 3
                    SR John Gant 2
                    SR STL Kim 2/Rainey
                    RP Soria 4
                    RP Graterol (DL) 2/Minter

C Stallings 2
                    C Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10
                    3B Fuentes 13
                    CI Segura 17
                    2B Solano 2
                    SS TTurner 44
                    MI Gregorious 17
                    OF Blackmon 32
                    OF Pollock 17
                    OF Cain 14
                    OF Daza 1
                    OF Bader 1 (DL)/PIT Fowler
                    UT Rios 2

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Solid effort! Some good buys early and late. A few I might not have chased myself, but that’s why we play the game. Seems like you have a very viable team. Enjoyed the draft room stories about technological and diplomatic challenges!

Comment

Made me lol a few times. Did you ever find your glasses?

Comment

heh.

right after the auction ended, I noticed the glasses had lodged between the seat cushions - just inches from my right ass-cheek.

the worst was in the IL replacement phase, which we do in reverse order of last year's (ok, 2019) standings. I had scribbled that order on a piece of paper, but in red ink. and as teams finished, I crossed them off. so in the replacement phase, I couldn't make out the order so was bumbling around.

after a year off, am reminded again of that "8 for 50 phase" - the part of the auction where there are many players left that you want, but the owners with those kind of units basically have veto power. so you resort to slipping what you can "past the goalie."

some PRICES in the auction
                          which look most out of line?

SP Snell 33, Nola 32, Hendricks 25, Corbin 24, Morton 23, Burnes 20, Paddack 20, Gausman 18, Stroman 17, Carrasco 16, SGray 16, THOR 15, Mahle 15, Davies 11, Eflin 10, TWalker 10
                          RP EDiaz 28, Jansen 25, Hand 23, McGee 18, Kimbrel 17, Melancon 17, Rodriguez 17, AReyes 14, Bard 11, Gallegos 11, Bass 10
                          C d'Arnaud 13, Posey 12
                          1B Goldschmidt 31, Hosmer 30, Rizzo 27, Hiura 27, Bell 26, Cron 23, Aguilar 13, Votto 10
                          3B Suarez 30, JTurner 26, Bryant 26, Escobar 16, Moran 13, Fuentes 13
                          2B Albies 31, KMarte 30, Cronenworth 19, Segura 17, Hampson 14, India 10, Owings 10
                          SS Baez 30, Gregorius 17, DeJong 15, Swanson 14
                          OF SMarte 40, Harper 40, Pham 32, Blackmon 32, Ozuna 31, Myers 25, Schwarber 20, DomSmith 18, Nimmo 18, Pollock 17, Peralta 15, Polanco 14, Cain 14, Senzel 13, ADickerson 11
                          Last edited by Judge Jude; 04-04-2021, 06:01 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Prices that look a bit out of line to me:

High
                            PCorbin
                            TWalker
                            AReyes

Low
                            Owings
                            Gregorius
                            Dom Smith

Comment

I have one of each!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                              X