MLB Moves 2021 All Star Game out of Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    Being blatant about it...well, of course. While I disagree with your Darth Trump analogy, it's pleasantly surprising to me to see the GOP hit the corporatists in the wallet hard. If corporatists want to come down on the side of the Democrats, they're still able to do so. They just don't get to do so for free.

That was my disagreement with ITC - the GA legislature didn't say, for example, Delta can't take a political stance. They just don't get to do so without balancing the tax breaks they may sacrifice with the supposed value of their virtue signaling.
    Ultimately, it seems like it's cutting off their nose to spite their face. What if Delta and/or Coke respond by downsizing their Georgia-based operations? Additionally, many other large companies may think twice about expanding operations in red states that seemingly are heading back to the 1950s.

Georgia is also the home to many TV and film productions. We all know that sector is very liberal -- how long until Georgia-based productions dwindle?

I'm not sure these red states that are embracing The Big Lie are taking these potential economic ramifications into account. I'm not even sure they really care.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      Being blatant about it...well, of course. While I disagree with your Darth Trump analogy, it's pleasantly surprising to me to see the GOP hit the corporatists in the wallet hard. If corporatists want to come down on the side of the Democrats, they're still able to do so. They just don't get to do so for free.

That was my disagreement with ITC - the GA legislature didn't say, for example, Delta can't take a political stance. They just don't get to do so without balancing the tax breaks they may sacrifice with the supposed value of their virtue signaling.
      I would imagine the CEO's and bean counters have weighed the good and the bad, both fiscal and brand, and see the scales tipping on the side of voter suppression.

BARKEEP, can we get a round of Jack and Cokes for the Sports Bar in honor of Coca-Cola's stance.
      "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
      - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
      - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
        I would imagine the CEO's and bean counters have weighed the good and the bad, both fiscal and brand, and see the scales tipping on the side of voter suppression.
        Actually, I think it was pretty apparent Delta sure didn't, given how their CEO tried to play both sides of the street once he realized their jet fuel tax break was in danger. He's been able to learn the hard way when you play on both sides of the street in politics, all it means is you get hit by cars going both directions.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Listening to Ken Frasier be at the forefront of CEOs talking about this makes me sad to think that he is stepping down.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            Listening to Ken Frasier be at the forefront of CEOs talking about this makes me sad to think that he is stepping down.
            Down goes Frasier !! Down goes Frasier !!
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              Down goes Frasier !! Down goes Frasier !!
              *Frazier
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

At an event in his home state Monday, Mitch McConnell said he "found it completely discouraging to find a bunch of corporate CEOs getting in the middle of politics."

"My advice to the corporate CEOs of America is to stay out of politics."

But, don't forget to keep sending those campaign contributions.

In 2014, he spoke out against Democrats' attempts to allow Congress to set limits on corporate campaign spending in federal elections, calling it a threat to basic speech rights.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                  At an event in his home state Monday, Mitch McConnell said he "found it completely discouraging to find a bunch of corporate CEOs getting in the middle of politics."

"My advice to the corporate CEOs of America is to stay out of politics."

But, don't forget to keep sending those campaign contributions.

In 2014, he spoke out against Democrats' attempts to allow Congress to set limits on corporate campaign spending in federal elections, calling it a threat to basic speech rights.
                  No, you've got it all wrong, you see, you are conflating "they can't do that" with "we're going to use our market leverage to change their mind". This is all about the markets!

Comment

I thought it was about baseball...
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                      I thought it was about baseball...
                      True, but there's no crying in baseball

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        True, but there's no crying in baseball
                        Whomever said this was obviously never in a League with me....

(softball alert)
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                        X