MLB Moves 2021 All Star Game out of Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madducks View Post
    I guess Diaper Don thinks that boycotting baseball will make America great again.
    As his campaign continues to bilk money from unwitting (or witless) donors..........
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      Except Missouri also has voter suppression bills circulating in the state legislature.
      True, but so do 26 other states I believe.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Not Cali!
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          Yup, so be prepared to see the All Star Game in blue states from here on out, lol.

These poor, brainwashed Trumptards:
          Following MLB's decision to relocate the 2021 All-Star Game out of Georgia, Texas will "not seek to host" the annual game or other league events, Gov. Greg Abbott said Monday.

In a letter to Neil Leibman, the Texas Rangers' president of business operations, Abbott declined an invitation to throw out a ceremonial first pitch at the club's home opener on Monday. The governor said he was looking forward to the opportunity until MLB decided to move the All-Star Game and MLB Draft out of Georgia following the state's newly passed voting restrictions.
          Following MLB's decision to relocate the 2021 All-Star Game out of Georgia, Texas will not "seek to host" the game or other league events in the future.

I guess it's only "cancel culture" when Dems do it.

Comment

Is this what capitalism is all about? What don't Republicans understand. These capitalistic businesses are making brand decisions based on market feedback and looking at trends. They want to be on the right side of this with the majority of Americans, so they can continue to sell products and services. It's truly remarkable to me that Republicans don't see this.
            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
              It's truly remarkable to me that Republicans don't see this.
              You new in politics?

If you are looking for logic and consistency, politics is the wrong place to look.

They are very obviously hypocritical. Also, they don't care. The response will be "but the dirty libs did it first, we are just responding in kind".

Comment

Is this what capitalism is all about? What don't Republicans understand. These capitalistic businesses are making brand decisions based on market feedback and looking at trends. They want to be on the right side of this with the majority of Americans, so they can continue to sell products and services. It's truly remarkable to me that Republicans don't see this.
                I'm not tracking with you. Which Republicans are saying that Coca-Cola and Delta and MLB can't make those decisions? I think you're conflating "they can't do that" with "we're going to use our market leverage to change their mind". Or punish them, which is definitely true in some cases.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  I'm not tracking with you. Which Republicans are saying that Coca-Cola and Delta and MLB can't make those decisions? I think you're conflating "they can't do that" with "we're going to use our market leverage to change their mind". Or punish them, which is definitely true in some cases.
                  I disagree.

Republican U.S. Rep. Jeff Duncan of South Carolina said he’s asked his staff to begin drafting a bill to remove the league’s antitrust law exemption in response to the decision.

“An overwhelming bipartisan majority of Americans support requiring an ID to vote, and any organization that abuses its power to oppose secure elections deserves increased scrutiny under the law,” he said in a tweet.
                  --source: https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden...68045dc9faac8a

Comment

Buster Onley reports that Colorado is getting the All Star Game. Should be a fun HR Derby!
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Yup, they are truly idiots. Let’s punish our two largest employers because we want to stick our heads up Trump’s ass.

Comment

Chance, the GA legislature already stripped Delta’s tax exemptions, they’re trying to ban Coke from their offices. Clearly they’re on the side of The Big Lie over common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Chance, the GA legislature already stripped Delta’s tax exemptions, they’re trying to ban Coke from their offices. Clearly they’re on the side of The Big Lie over common sense.
                          Maybe. OTOH, the GA legislature has managed to raise taxes and has the GOP on their side for doing so. A sugar tax on Coke products would be another clever move if they can pull it off constitutionally. Or a revocation of some other tax breaks Coke has. After all, aren't those types of tax breaks just corporate welfare anyway?

Comment

Maybe. OTOH, the GA legislature has managed to raise taxes and has the GOP on their side for doing so. A sugar tax on Coke products would be another clever move if they can pull it off constitutionally. Or a revocation of some other tax breaks Coke has. After all, aren't those types of tax breaks just corporate welfare anyway?
                            They could have. But they're being quite blatant about it, for obvious reasons -- they bow down to their leader and know the only way they can win back their base (which they royally pissed off by telling the truth about the vote count) is to side with the Big Lie.

Comment

Being blatant about it...well, of course. While I disagree with your Darth Trump analogy, it's pleasantly surprising to me to see the GOP hit the corporatists in the wallet hard. If corporatists want to come down on the side of the Democrats, they're still able to do so. They just don't get to do so for free.

That was my disagreement with ITC - the GA legislature didn't say, for example, Delta can't take a political stance. They just don't get to do so without balancing the tax breaks they may sacrifice with the supposed value of their virtue signaling.

Comment

Being blatant about it...well, of course. While I disagree with your Darth Trump analogy, it's pleasantly surprising to me to see the GOP hit the corporatists in the wallet hard. If corporatists want to come down on the side of the Democrats, they're still able to do so. They just don't get to do so for free.

That was my disagreement with ITC - the GA legislature didn't say, for example, Delta can't take a political stance. They just don't get to do so without balancing the tax breaks they may sacrifice with the supposed value of their virtue signaling.
                                I'm confused, above you said it was just market leverage, why the sudden change to policy? Which is it?

I think you're conflating "they can't do that" with "we're going to use our market leverage to change their mind"

Comment

Working...
                                X