Woke up to a kick in the groin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woke up to a kick in the groin.

Got this email for our AL only 12 team $260 budget.

Gentlemen,

MLB has thrown us a curveball. Due to the shortened season last year it changed the qualifications for Rookie of the Year status. September 2020 games will count toward service time. Because our constitution defines an F player as one who is eligible for the Rookie of the Year, there are a few players that DO NOT qualify to be kept in reserve on F contracts because they will have accrued more than 45 days of service time. Leroy and I will be sending out an email with a complete list of those players but I imagine some of you already know who they are.

The commissioners have decided that because this will take some teams by surprise, everyone will be allowed to release or replace a retained F contract that no longer qualifies as a retainable F contract. In other words, your choices will be to (i) move the player to your active roster, (ii) release the player without replacement or (iii) release the player and retain a different player from your list of 19.

Because this is going to cause the commissioners a fair amount of extra work and because it is going to complicate draft preparation for everyone, please make your decisions as quickly as possible. The deadline will be 24 hours before the draft, but please don’t wait that long. Thanks.

Leroy and Jeff

In The AL there were only 2 players affected.
    Gesshouse Parades Hou 67 days service time
    Greggs Adel LAA 55 days service time
    Gesshouse is dropping Parades and picking back up Crawford 8B SS Sea.
    Gregg let me know how to proceed.

So now I have to spend $15 on a free player or lose him. I do not think we can bid him at auction (checking now). If we can't bid he will surely be taken with the first pick in the reserve round.

I do not think I can justify keeping him. I have had him for a long time, traded him to make a failed run, traded back for him this last off season and rebuffed many offers until last week's roster freeze.

I am very disappointed...and my groin hurts.

Which player are you talking about?
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      Which player are you talking about?
      Jo Adell

Comment

That's really stupid of them. Why can't they just ignore that for one year? There are so many oddities that have happened, seems really simple to just ignore it for TWO players. My league just uses ABs and IPs to determine whether a player is rookie available.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          Jo Adell
          Yow. He sure isn't going to earn anywhere near $15 this year, so if you have a viable player you dropped to keep him, that's the route I'd take.

Comment

Yow. He sure isn't going to earn anywhere near $15 this year, so if you have a viable player you dropped to keep him, that's the route I'd take.
            Yeah... I think you have to let him go. That sucks.

My leagues (like most others) specifically ignore the service time piece of ROY eligbility simply because it's dumb and hard to research.

Comment

I have just sent an email to the league requesting that use the less than 130abs rule to give me a concession and allow me to keep Adell. I have no idea what they will come back with.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                I have just sent an email to the league requesting that use the less than 130abs rule to give me a concession and allow me to keep Adell. I have no idea what they will come back with.
                Yeah, in my 5 leagues, all of them use 130 AB or 50 IP. It's too difficult to track service time, and seems less fair/more arbitrary than AB/IP.
                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Agreed, silly rule/ruling.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    Agreed, silly rule/ruling.
                    Yup. But if it is enforced, I agree to just cut him.

Comment

Stoopid. This is why leagues use 50 IP or 130 ABs, because of nonsense like this.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                        Stoopid. This is why leagues use 50 IP or 130 ABs, because of nonsense like this.
                        Our league uses both (either or).

I expect to lose. But I can assure you I will be bringing this up for a constitution change this weekend.

Comment

Next you're gonna tell me you have Eloy Jimenez as a keeper, too.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                            That's really stupid of them. Why can't they just ignore that for one year? There are so many oddities that have happened, seems really simple to just ignore it for TWO players. My league just uses ABs and IPs to determine whether a player is rookie available.
                            Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                            Yeah... I think you have to let him go. That sucks.

My leagues (like most others) specifically ignore the service time piece of ROY eligbility simply because it's dumb and hard to research.
                            Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                            Yeah, in my 5 leagues, all of them use 130 AB or 50 IP. It's too difficult to track service time, and seems less fair/more arbitrary than AB/IP.
                            My league does the same (AB/IP limits). I hope your league approves your request, as ​it makes no sense to spring this issue on a couple of owners this late in the process.
                            2021 Auction Anatomy
                            2021 Keeper Decisions
                            2020 Auction Anatomy
                            2020 Pre-Auction
                            2015 Auction Anatomy
                            2014 Auction Anatomy
                            2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                            RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Next you're gonna tell me you have Eloy Jimenez as a keeper, too.
                              Surely not because I didn't try.

In the White Sox thread I wrote regarding Eloy that sometimes the best trade is the one we don't make.

Comment

Working...
                              X