Heriberto Hernandez early hype train

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heriberto Hernandez early hype train

As I've acquired him in all 3 leagues I could, I wanted to share my biggest prospect crush right now, Heriberto Hernandez, a catcher for TB who is likely to change positions to get more plate appearances from his elite bat. Probably 1B.

Heriberto still isn't a household name for prospects, sitting outside the top 100 for many sources, although being traded as the centerpiece for Nate Lowe helped shine some light. Pretty sure the Rays swindled the rookie Rangers GM on that one. So if you can acquire him at a reasonable rate, do it now. This is likely your last chance to get him cheaply. To complete the set of 3 Heriberto's for me, I gave up a $22 Gallen plus a pick swap. Seems like an overpay now, but I have faith.

The descriptions of his hit/power leave me drooling. I heard a podcast digging into his batted ball numbers from the 2019 season, and they were staggering. He hit over 60% of his balls in play above 95 MPH, and apparently if translated to MLB, that would have ranked 2nd, behind Tatis, just ahead of Sano. Aside from the power, I've heard raves about his approach and his "T-Rex forearms" giving him quick twitch plate coverage. Reports from the alternate site last year were glowingly positive.

Anybody else targeting this guy?
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Catcher...'nuff said. Ray, even more 'nuff said.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

I think he is a top 20 hitter in the minors based on just hit/power. I'd get him if I could get him cheap, but there is clearly a lot of risk in the profile. It is uncertain if he finds a defensive home. His bat will have to carry him all the way. It could, but it may not. He is definitely a guy who is better for our purposes than most prospect lists would indicate. If you like Austin Wells and Tyler Soderstrom as bat first "catchers" that won't stick there, this guy has even higher upside, so you should like him more. I like him a lot, but I would never have traded a $22 Gallen for him, unless you are certain Gallen is done for the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        I think he is a top 20 hitter in the minors based on just hit/power. I'd get him if I could get him cheap, but there is clearly a lot of risk in the profile. It is uncertain if he finds a defensive home. His bat will have to carry him all the way. It could, but it may not. He is definitely a guy who is better for our purposes than most prospect lists would indicate. If you like Austin Wells and Tyler Soderstrom as bat first "catchers" that won't stick there, this guy has even higher upside, so you should like him more. I like him a lot, but I would never have traded a $22 Gallen for him, unless you are certain Gallen is done for the year.
        Funny, I grabbed Soderstrom as my 1st rd pick (19th overall) in my dynasty league. I guess my type is catchers with big bats likely to change positions. Lots of guys in baseball history were moved off catcher to allow them to focus more on hitting. Carlos Delgado came up as a catcher. Same with Carlos Santana. I'm sure many many others I'm forgetting.

It's just so rare to hear about any hitters being praised as potential 60 hit, 80 power bats, I'm kinda blown away that he doesn't get more love. If he had this skill set and came up as a 1st basemen, would he be on a Triston Casas top 50 prospect type of level? That's the last guy that I heard about having 60/80 potential, but it looks so far like Casas is holding back some of the 80 raw in reserve in order to develop the plate skills first. I view Casas and Heriberto as pretty close to one another, but I guess Casas has slightly more perceived value from pedigree and ballpark/team context... I wonder how Montreal's stadium will play by the time he's up.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
          Funny, I grabbed Soderstrom as my 1st rd pick (19th overall) in my dynasty league. I guess my type is catchers with big bats likely to change positions. Lots of guys in baseball history were moved off catcher to allow them to focus more on hitting. Carlos Delgado came up as a catcher. Same with Carlos Santana. I'm sure many many others I'm forgetting.

It's just so rare to hear about any hitters being praised as potential 60 hit, 80 power bats, I'm kinda blown away that he doesn't get more love. If he had this skill set and came up as a 1st basemen, would he be on a Triston Casas top 50 prospect type of level? That's the last guy that I heard about having 60/80 potential, but it looks so far like Casas is holding back some of the 80 raw in reserve in order to develop the plate skills first. I view Casas and Heriberto as pretty close to one another, but I guess Casas has slightly more perceived value from pedigree and ballpark/team context... I wonder how Montreal's stadium will play by the time he's up.
          I remember being at a jay game in which Delgado hit a straight to dead center home run in his first go around in the majors. Great start, I think he had 8 homers in April, was sent down by end of May. the homer did not seem to rise, almost like a laser beam into the windows restaurant out behind center field.

Comment

Choo choo!!! Was really happy to get him in the trade for Lowe

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
              I remember being at a jay game in which Delgado hit a straight to dead center home run in his first go around in the majors. Great start, I think he had 8 homers in April, was sent down by end of May. the homer did not seem to rise, almost like a laser beam into the windows restaurant out behind center field.
              Carlos always loved smashing HR's into windows restaurant. Nice memory.

For every Carlos Delgado hot start that turns into a star, there's a JP Arencibia hot start that doesn't quite make it.

I hope Heriberto arrives resembling Delgado moreso than Arencibia. Watching this Arencibia debut was special at the time. This clip is like seeing an ex who broke your heart that you haven't seen in years.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                Catcher...'nuff said. Ray, even more 'nuff said.
                I don't doubt the tools, but like Horns, I do doubt the Rays.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Week 1 update, some exciting things happening.

First, he got assigned to low-A, after seeing short season in 2019. Kinda disappointed with the assignment initially, but he is destroying the level.

4 games, 17 PA, 5/12 with 2 HR and 1 double. .417/.611/.1000.... 2 K, 5 BB, and 2 SB.

Most exciting to go with the offensive domination, 4 games played: 1 game at RF, 3 games at LF. Looks like he's done catching, hopefully!

Starting at low-A gives him tons of room to blow up lists this year. Get him if you still can.

Comment

He isn't in the Yahoo! pool yet, Keep the updates coming!

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Working...
                    X