This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
    I missed the part where you were called stupid. You're asking a tool designed for one thing to do another. Further, there isn't a practical workaround.
    i actually didn't ask for a tool designed to do one thing to do another if you read my original post. what i asked is how people adjust for the fact that the tool I, and others apparently use doesn't reflect how some leagues work. So the answer is that you throw your hands in the air. thanks for the great input !
    not sure if there is a thread on this, I use Fangraphs calculator for reference. Does anyone else use a different one they can recommend.

a second question, for pitchers the league setup for daily, twice weekly, or weekly lineup changes has an impact on pitcher values. Is there a calculator that accounts for this...if not, how do people adjust for daily leagues where there may only be 9 pitcher spots, but in reality each team likely uses 11-13 pitchers ?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Sorry for wasting your time.
      Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Sorry for wasting your time.
        that's ok, I got nothing better to do
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          i actually didn't ask for a tool designed to do one thing to do another if you read my original post. what i asked is how people adjust for the fact that the tool I, and others apparently use doesn't reflect how some leagues work. So the answer is that you throw your hands in the air. thanks for the great input !
          I guess I’ll throw up my hands at trying to convince you that Todd’s first post on the topic was really good. It takes some subjectivity rather than just numbers but his approach was a good one to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            I guess I’ll throw up my hands at trying to convince you that Todd’s first post on the topic was really good. It takes some subjectivity rather than just numbers but his approach was a good one to try.
            throw your hands in the air like you just don't care !

I'm not saying there is not some subjectivity involved, because there always is, what i was asking is how to differentiate between daily and weekly leagues in a calculator. I think a good starting point is the calculator and then from there apply your own biases and subjectivity as discussed. And I have not seen any feedback about how one would adjust inputs in the calculator for daily vs. weekly leagues. Honestly, I'll just figure it out for myself and not deal with the bullshit.

EDIT: maybe we should all just use the same inputs for daily and weekly leagues, because clearly there is no difference.
            Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 03-22-2021, 09:19 PM.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I guess we have different definitions for throwing hands up in the air and not caring.

I explained conventional valuation isn't designed to handle daily or even twice-a-week leagues.

I noted all calculators are based on every draft-worthy player active for the entire season with no roster churn at all.

I gave an in depth example of what would need to be done to model valuation in a daily league and showed why it's impractical.

I offered an alternate approach, which leverages the limitation of the calculator against the market.

Yup, the very embodiment of apathy.
              Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

I guess we have different definitions for throwing hands up in the air and not caring.

I explained conventional valuation isn't designed to handle daily or even twice-a-week leagues.

I noted all calculators are based on every draft-worthy player active for the entire season with no roster churn at all.

I gave an in depth example of what would need to be done to model valuation in a daily league and showed why it's impractical.

I offered an alternate approach, which leverages the limitation of the calculator against the market.

Yup, the very embodiment of apathy.
                thanks so much, very helpful
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Honestly, I'll just figure it out for myself and not deal with the bullshit.
                  No one is giving you bullshit fwiw, you brought up a topic that has been thought about by many people but realistically is not objectively solvable (at least to my knowledge) given the current information and toolsets that we have at our disposal.

Comment

No one is giving you bullshit fwiw, you brought up a topic that has been thought about by many people but realistically is not objectively solvable (at least to my knowledge) given the current information and toolsets that we have at our disposal.
                    yeah, good ok
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

yeah, good ok
                      you're an angry cat

Comment

you're an angry cat
                        supa angry

I'll probably be less angry once I conclude that no one wants to answer the specific questions I ask and accept that I'm just doing things wrong. acceptance and anger are some of the steps I think
                        Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 03-22-2021, 10:46 PM.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

supa angry

I'll probably be less angry once I conclude that no one wants to answer the specific questions I ask and accept that I'm just doing things wrong. acceptance and anger are some of the steps I think
                          Personally, I think you are wrong that no one "wants to" answer your questions. But you may disagree if you wish.

Comment

Personally, I think you are wrong that no one "wants to" answer your questions. But you may disagree if you wish.
                            Well either way probably this thread has run its course
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

So I decided to take a shot at how this might work. I ran calculations for three separate leagues. All of them have 14 hitting and 9 pitching slots and 10 reserve players. 63% spent on hitting. One is a league with weekly transactions, one with bi-weekly, and one is daily. My goal is to adjust calculator inputs so that the player pool that results (approximately those with positive value) will compile stats similar to those of the leagues I am trying to model. The closer the stats match, the better the calculator will be able to allocate value to players based on the stats they are projected to generate. I am only evaluating pitching, not hitting.

Calculator inputs for the three leagues are as follows:

For the weekly league I am putting in an 800IP minimum, 6SP, 1RP, 1P, and 10 Reserves
                              for the Bi-Weekly league i am putting in 1000IP 7SP, 3RP, 2P, and 7 Reserves
                              for the daily league i am putting in 1200IP 8SP, 6RP, 2P, and 3 Reserves

All of these are just rough estimates and could be updated with a little effort. I just want to see how changing these affects the calculator values, and if it seems to create a player pool that approximates the players for these type leagues. So I posted the values for the top 5 pitchers, the 31st, 61st, 91st ....for starting pitchers below. Sorry for the crappy formatting.

Weekly bi weekly daily
                              1 DeGrom 59.8 41.7 37.8
                              2 Bieber 42.3 31.1 27.7
                              3 Cole 41.2 30.9 27
                              4 Darvish 39.2 29.2 25.9
                              5 Scherzer 34.9 26..1 23.3

31 Price 13.0 Heaney 12.2 Gallen 10.7
                              61 Kikuchi 5.6 J Uria2 7 J Urias 6.2
                              91 M Gonzales 0.8 Brubaker 3.9 weaver 3.6
                              121 JA Happ -3.5 Kuechel 0.7 Sandoval 0.9
                              151 G Braxton -6.2 C Mart -0.7 Gant -0.8
                              181 T Williams -2.4

The biggest impact of the change in lineup periods is to the highest ranked pitchers. With top pitcher values in weekly leagues around 50% higher than in daily leagues. And of course there are more pitchers with positive value for daily leagues, which is intuitive. For daily leagues the change in value between the 121st best starter and the 181st best is about 3 dollars. Which would highlight why streaming and playing matchups is important when using these pitchers. Anyway, I'm sure there are some tweaks that could be done, perhaps adjusting percent of money spent on pitching for leagues that do a lot of streaming ? Probably not really necessary.

I didn't look at Relievers, something I might do later.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Maybe I'm not understanding the exercise but it looks like all you are doing is intentionally devaluing your pitching budget by increasing the number of pitchers. If that's what you want to do why not just reduce your pitcher %?

Comment

Working...
                                X