Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 117

Thread: value calculators

  1. #91
    All Star The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    9,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    That's a very jaded and pessimistic view of what transpired. I didn't blindly dismiss anything, I disagreed.

    I'm an analytical person. If you tell me that "all my friends say that 10 + 10 is 50, but I know they are wrong, 10 + 10 is 37". I'm not going to nod my head and say "you're right, your answer is closer to correct so I'll just shut up and sit in the corner", I'm going to ask "wait, how can it be 37, the last digit is 0+0, how are you possibly getting to a 7?"

    If you want people to just nod and smile, why ask a question?

    You are complaining that I engaged and discussed the "why" part. Okay... if you say so.
    Again, just explain how not trying to adjust for daily leagues yields better information

  2. #92
    All Star Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    8,139
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    Again, just explain how not trying to adjust for daily leagues yields better information
    I literally did exactly that previously with the Spencer Turnbull x 10 example. And you completely ignored it.

  3. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    Because the entire focus has been how what I am proposing is wrong. Explain to me how the alterntive is better
    In short, you're basing conclusions on an erroneous set of inputs, specifically the inclusion of projected stats not earmarked for the final stat pool at the end of the season.

    To be fair, so am I by using conventional valuation.

    Which is why I opt to eliminate the middle man and go right to subjective alterations but doing so with an understanding of what conventional valuation is and its limitations - so it's educated alterations.
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

  4. #94
    All Star The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    9,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I literally did exactly that previously with the Spencer Turnbull x 10 example. And you completely ignored it.
    not at all. you apparently think having an auction calculator that indicates negative value for many players who actually have value and inflates the value of the upper tier of players is more accurate than what I proposed. Because my first rough estimate wasn't exactly accurate. you just accept one approach as good and apply no critical thought to it, while trying to find any small detail that is wrong with what i presented.

  5. #95
    All Star Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    8,139
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    I could tell you what I think, but the whole point of my post was to get other peoples input because I don't claim to be an expert.
    .... I disagree...

  6. #96
    All Star Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    8,139
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    you just accept one approach as good and apply no critical thought to it
    Dude, go screw yourself. You are just being an asshole. I'm out.

    I just spent hours of my day analyzing something for YOUR league and you post bullshit like that? Screw you.

  7. #97
    All Star The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    9,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zola View Post
    In short, you're basing conclusions on an erroneous set of inputs, specifically the inclusion of projected stats not earmarked for the final stat pool at the end of the season.

    To be fair, so am I by using conventional valuation.

    Which is why I opt to eliminate the middle man and go right to subjective alterations but doing so with an understanding of what conventional valuation is and its limitations - so it's educated alterations.
    exactly, neither approach is perfect. So which one provides a more accurate assesment of the value that a set of stats will actually provide ? Alterations absolutely need to be made. which approach provides a better starting point ? If you want to go straight to subjective alterations and not attempt to create a "middle man" that is not unreasonable. I also don't think it is unreasonable to try to use altered calculator inputs (middle man) to try to gain understanding of real value

  8. #98
    All Star The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    9,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Dude, go screw yourself. You are just being an asshole. I'm out.

    I just spent hours of my day analyzing something for YOUR league and you post bullshit like that? Screw you.
    it actually isn't my league, because my daily league has vastly different settings than this, and my whole involvement wasn't based on trying to get help, but rather to have a discussion about how best to address the situation given the calculators that we have access to. Have a great day.

  9. #99
    All Star Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    8,139
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    it actually isn't my league, because my daily league has vastly different settings than this, and my whole involvement wasn't based on trying to get help, but rather to have a discussion about how best to address the situation given the calculators that we have access to. Have a great day.
    Cool that makes it worth telling someone that they "apply no critical thought".

    Even better.

    You're the ass here man.

  10. #100
    All Star Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    8,139
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    not at all. you apparently think having an auction calculator that indicates negative value for many players who actually have value and inflates the value of the upper tier of players is more accurate than what I proposed. Because my first rough estimate wasn't exactly accurate. you just accept one approach as good and apply no critical thought to it, while trying to find any small detail that is wrong with what i presented.
    If you would read what I wrote, rather than being busy trying to lob personal attacks, you'd realize that the example I provided showed the extra pitchers netting out because the talent curve is relatively flat at the end. That would mean, by netting out the streamers assuming everyone is streaming, the actual auction value for the others remains the same.

    But I doubt you even read it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •