This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    That's a very jaded and pessimistic view of what transpired. I didn't blindly dismiss anything, I disagreed.

I'm an analytical person. If you tell me that "all my friends say that 10 + 10 is 50, but I know they are wrong, 10 + 10 is 37". I'm not going to nod my head and say "you're right, your answer is closer to correct so I'll just shut up and sit in the corner", I'm going to ask "wait, how can it be 37, the last digit is 0+0, how are you possibly getting to a 7?"

If you want people to just nod and smile, why ask a question?

You are complaining that I engaged and discussed the "why" part. Okay... if you say so.
    Again, just explain how not trying to adjust for daily leagues yields better information
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      Again, just explain how not trying to adjust for daily leagues yields better information
      I literally did exactly that previously with the Spencer Turnbull x 10 example. And you completely ignored it.

Comment

Because the entire focus has been how what I am proposing is wrong. Explain to me how the alterntive is better
        In short, you're basing conclusions on an erroneous set of inputs, specifically the inclusion of projected stats not earmarked for the final stat pool at the end of the season.

To be fair, so am I by using conventional valuation.

Which is why I opt to eliminate the middle man and go right to subjective alterations but doing so with an understanding of what conventional valuation is and its limitations - so it's educated alterations.
        Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

I literally did exactly that previously with the Spencer Turnbull x 10 example. And you completely ignored it.
          not at all. you apparently think having an auction calculator that indicates negative value for many players who actually have value and inflates the value of the upper tier of players is more accurate than what I proposed. Because my first rough estimate wasn't exactly accurate. you just accept one approach as good and apply no critical thought to it, while trying to find any small detail that is wrong with what i presented.
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I could tell you what I think, but the whole point of my post was to get other peoples input because I don't claim to be an expert.
            .... I disagree...

Comment

you just accept one approach as good and apply no critical thought to it
              Dude, go screw yourself. You are just being an asshole. I'm out.

I just spent hours of my day analyzing something for YOUR league and you post bullshit like that? Screw you.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
                In short, you're basing conclusions on an erroneous set of inputs, specifically the inclusion of projected stats not earmarked for the final stat pool at the end of the season.

Which is why I opt to eliminate the middle man and go right to subjective alterations but doing so with an understanding of what conventional valuation is and its limitations - so it's educated alterations.
                exactly, neither approach is perfect. So which one provides a more accurate assesment of the value that a set of stats will actually provide ? Alterations absolutely need to be made. which approach provides a better starting point ? If you want to go straight to subjective alterations and not attempt to create a "middle man" that is not unreasonable. I also don't think it is unreasonable to try to use altered calculator inputs (middle man) to try to gain understanding of real value
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Dude, go screw yourself. You are just being an asshole. I'm out.

I just spent hours of my day analyzing something for YOUR league and you post bullshit like that? Screw you.
                  it actually isn't my league, because my daily league has vastly different settings than this, and my whole involvement wasn't based on trying to get help, but rather to have a discussion about how best to address the situation given the calculators that we have access to. Have a great day.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

it actually isn't my league, because my daily league has vastly different settings than this, and my whole involvement wasn't based on trying to get help, but rather to have a discussion about how best to address the situation given the calculators that we have access to. Have a great day.
                    Cool that makes it worth telling someone that they "apply no critical thought".

Even better.

You're the ass here man.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                      not at all. you apparently think having an auction calculator that indicates negative value for many players who actually have value and inflates the value of the upper tier of players is more accurate than what I proposed. Because my first rough estimate wasn't exactly accurate. you just accept one approach as good and apply no critical thought to it, while trying to find any small detail that is wrong with what i presented.
                      If you would read what I wrote, rather than being busy trying to lob personal attacks, you'd realize that the example I provided showed the extra pitchers netting out because the talent curve is relatively flat at the end. That would mean, by netting out the streamers assuming everyone is streaming, the actual auction value for the others remains the same.

But I doubt you even read it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post

this is a valid point, but as you noted the approach you are presenting has the same issue. I'm just trying to establish a better process for perhaps making it more accurate. And what I'm proposing is clearly not perfect, but I believe it is more accurate than just using the same inputs for daily and weekly leagues. At this point I regret ever asking the questions I did
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          If you would read what I wrote, rather than being busy trying to lob personal attacks, you'd realize that the example I provided showed the extra pitchers netting out because the talent curve is relatively flat at the end. That would mean, by netting out the streamers assuming everyone is streaming, the actual auction value for the others remains the same.

But I doubt you even read it.
                          yes, I'm the clearly the one lobbing personal attacks like "screw you", "your an asshole", "go screw yourself". yes, I'm clearly the one lobbing personal attacks. Clearly.

EDIT: forgot "you're the ass here man"

EDIT 2: "Dumbass"
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

this is a valid point, but as you noted the approach you are presenting has the same issue. I'm just trying to establish a better process for perhaps making it more accurate. And what I'm proposing is clearly not perfect, but I believe it is more accurate than just using the same inputs for daily and weekly leagues. At this point I regret ever asking the questions I did
                            I can understand why you regret it. You asked a question and noted that you don't understand the answers because you aren't an expert. Others responded (including an aactual expert in Todd). And then you whined when we responded in a way you didn't agree with.

Which is it, on one of the early pages I asked for your methodology and you complained that you shouldn't have to provide it because you are asking the question. But now you are complaining that people disagree with you after you actually provided the reasoning.

It's ridiculous man.

Comment

yes, I'm the clearly the one lobbing personal attacks like "screw you", "your an asshole", "go screw yourself". yes, I'm clearly the one lobbing personal attacks. Clearly.

EDIT: forgot "you're the ass here man"
                              LOL re-read the thread man, none of that happened until you started the attacks dumbass. I'll call you out for being an asshole when... you are being an asshole. People were literally trying to HELP you, as someone who claimed they weren't an expert, and you reply that the help doesn't include critical thought? Go screw yourself.

Comment

exactly, neither approach is perfect. So which one provides a more accurate assesment of the value that a set of stats will actually provide ? Alterations absolutely need to be made. which approach provides a better starting point ? If you want to go straight to subjective alterations and not attempt to create a "middle man" that is not unreasonable. I also don't think it is unreasonable to try to use altered calculator inputs (middle man) to try to gain understanding of real value
                                In my view, it's not real because the inputs are not reflective of the real scenario. Call it an artifact of my previous life as a scientist in biotech.

I do like spaghetti though. Except it's on the "do not eat" list, so zoodles it is...
                                Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Working...
                                X