Hot Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Sauce

In the beginning, I NEVER used hot sauce. I'd see the bottles of Tabasco lined and wonder why anyone would ever splash that nasty stuff on food and then eat it.

Then I moved to Mexico, where hot sauce and/or Salsa are put on everything, by everyone. So I tried some. And though I STILL don't use Tabasco, I really enjoy a splash of Hot Sauce on certain foods every now and then. That coupled with meeting and marrying Pam and our fridge now has a nice variety of sauces.

I used to favor Cholula, especially the Chipotle variety, but recently I was introduced to Crystal (from Louisiana) Hot Sauce and now I trend toward that most times.

In our fridge we have Crystal, Cholula (reg and Chipotle), and Valentine. Others that might be considered not really hot sauce like Siracha, Chili Garlic Sauce (like they pout in Pho) and my homemade schezwan chili oil (which I use in cooking and only sometimes as a drizzle).

I have had other, but these are what I favor (there was one I used on oyster in a small Baja fishing village that was excellent, but I can remember the name)

Anyone else use the Hot stuff? What are your favorites? Any recommendations to expand our palates? Food Pairings?

Bring your best heat.....
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    In the beginning, I NEVER used hot sauce. I'd see the bottles of Tabasco lined and wonder why anyone would ever splash that nasty stuff on food and then eat it.

Then I moved to Mexico, where hot sauce and/or Salsa are put on everything, by everyone. So I tried some. And though I STILL don't use Tabasco, I really enjoy a splash of Hot Sauce on certain foods every now and then. That coupled with meeting and marrying Pam and our fridge now has a nice variety of sauces.

I used to favor Cholula, especially the Chipotle variety, but recently I was introduced to Crystal (from Louisiana) Hot Sauce and now I trend toward that most times.

In our fridge we have Crystal, Cholula (reg and Chipotle), and Valentine. Others that might be considered not really hot sauce like Siracha, Chili Garlic Sauce (like they pout in Pho) and my homemade schezwan chili oil (which I use in cooking and only sometimes as a drizzle).

I have had other, but these are what I favor (there was one I used on oyster in a small Baja fishing village that was excellent, but I can remember the name)

Anyone else use the Hot stuff? What are your favorites? Any recommendations to expand our palates? Food Pairings?

Bring your best heat.....
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times - the time before I discovered hot sauce. I usually go with tabasco.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    ---------------------------------------------
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I eat so much hot stuff it feels like regular food is secondary to the flame. Tabasco is also my favorite - only 3 ingredients! - but I love all sorts of other stuff. Can't stand Cholula, though, except when mixed with sour cream for fish tacos.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Have you ever tried Crystal hot Sauce, it's a lot like Tabasco, slightly milder, but also a bit tastier (IMO)
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Have you ever tried Crystal hot Sauce, it's a lot like Tabasco, slightly milder, but also a bit tastier (IMO)
          Never tried it, to my knowledge. I'll definitely check it out, though. Always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to burn my mouth and torment my digestive system.
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

I grew up on Crystal, but once I came up north and tried Frank's Red Hot (the hot sauces that was used when Buffalo Wings were invented, I have been devout to it. It is super tasty and my go to put-on-everything mild hot sauce (it only has about 400 Scovilles). For more kick, Dirty Dick's is top notch, despite the name lending itself to all sorts of jokes.

Comment

I have a different hot sauce for pretty much every different plate. Tabasco goes on Italian dishes, Frank's on fried chicken and wings and the like, salsa on Mexican dishes, Slap Ya Mama (seriously, try it) on Cajun-ish stuff, Sriracha (we call it cock sauce in my house) on rice and noodles, and then I have a whole host of waaaaaaay hotter stuff that I put into stews and the like in small amounts. I have a jar of some stuff just called "Ow" and while it's delicious you have to be very careful when using it. The serving utensil it comes with is just a flat toothpick, lol. My house is like a hot sauce store.

On a semi-related note, anyone who says stuff like "oh that's too hot, I prefer to actually taste my food" is probably a bitchass.

Comment

I checked the two places I grocery shop and neither had Crystal. Looking it up on line I was surprised to see Target carries it. I plan on checking it out next time I am there.

I am not a Tabasco fan. Not because of the heat but because it is too salty.

I like Louisiana Hot Sauce. Franks is good.

Love Wasabi with many cuts of sashimi and sushi.

Love creamy horseradish sauce on Prime Rib or cold cut sandwiches.

I like some light Chili Powder in my Mexican Corn.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  I grew up on Crystal, but once I came up north and tried Frank's Red Hot (the hot sauces that was used when Buffalo Wings were invented, I have been devout to it. It is super tasty and my go to put-on-everything mild hot sauce (it only has about 400 Scovilles). For more kick, Dirty Dick's is top notch, despite the name lending itself to all sorts of jokes.
                  I forgot, we also have a bottle of that though I have only used it on wings.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

So I assume the Dirty Dick's is the Hot pepper Sauce and the Slap ya Mama is the Hot sauce NOT the pepper sauce. Yep I am ordering both.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Tapatio is good, similar to Cholula, but with a little more kick. They also have a dry seasoning that I use in place of slat, even though it's probably 50% salt, LOL.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

So I assume the Dirty Dick's is the Hot pepper Sauce and the Slap ya Mama is the Hot sauce NOT the pepper sauce. Yep I am ordering both.
                        Yeah, it is Dirty Dick's Hot Pepper sauce: https://www.amazon.com/Dirty-Dicks-H.../dp/B00PZ6B080

It ain't cheap, but a little goes a decently long way. It isn't some insane hot sauce, but the kick is toward the upper end of my comfort range for regular usage. I think it is probably around 20K scoville, but not in a bad way (but for reference, Cholula has 1-2k scoville, so this is 10x hotter). It has some sweetness to it, from pineapples and bananas, and a lot of flavor. I wouldn't let the scovilles scare you, though. It just means you can use less. I am not a hardcore hot heat at all and I dig it. But I like sweet heat. If you don't like sweetness in your sauce, you probably will not like it.
                        Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-20-2021, 08:45 PM.

Comment

I've tried tapatio, it's Ok but doesn't call to me. I fond Hot sauce has to speak to you or it fades into the nose of the thousands of hot sauces out there. I'm good with really hot, but it has to be tasty, not just jet fuel. I'm still trying top perfect my chili oil, it's tough to do to get the heat and flavor balanced in a way it compliments rather than over powers. Not succeeding so far, not that it's bad--it's just meh--ok.

Both recommendations are ordered and on the way!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I can't eat anything that's too hot and spicy due to digestive issues. Sweet Baby Ray's honey BBQ sauce is about as hot as i can go.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                              I can't eat anything that's too hot and spicy due to digestive issues. Sweet Baby Ray's honey BBQ sauce is about as hot as i can go.
                              Not hot, but man is that some good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X