Vegetarian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    When Ray came into town (Don Quixote) he, Pam and I went to Meat Bazar at the now defunct SLS. Dropped 1K *Ray did, but it was some of the best food I'd ever had. Though you don;t need to spend a ton to find exceptional eats in vegas, ask a local and they can send you somewhere that costs like home, but eats like the Taj.
    Agree completely - we went to a place just a block off The Strip near the Hilton and had a phenomenal lunch. And if you went to the good, but not exclusive highest tier restaurants and got their specials, the deals were just ridiculous. I can't remember the name of the MGM place - this was 16 years ago - it's now Crush.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I was vegetarian for a year and just couldn't keep it up. I think if I lived in India I might be able to. But yes, Vegas restaurants are among the best I've ever been to. Almost universally. I'd estimate at least 50% of the restaurants here in Tucson wouldn't survive a year in Vegas.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Rockefeller. Only way other than Oyster stew that I can eat them.

Lionfish should be included, too. Save the Caribbean seafood, eat a lionfish. And they're super yummy.
        Many years ago I had a salt water aquarium. I had Lionfish. They are beautiful. I was surprised to see they are overpopulating.

So where does one get Lionfish to eat? I have never seen it in any grocery store. I would definitely give it them a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          Many years ago I had a salt water aquarium. I had Lionfish. They are beautiful. I was surprised to see they are overpopulating.

So where does one get Lionfish to eat? I have never seen it in any grocery store. I would definitely give it them a try.
          they are a pacific ocean creature with no natural predators in the Atlantic. Urban legend is that they got washed out into the Atlantic from pet stores during a hurricane, but that seems like a stretch to me. Regardless, they were introduced to the Atlantic in Florida, I would guess about 15 years ago and have slowly been spreading across the Caribbean. They eat tons and nothing kills them. Most of the scuba tours I've been on, one of the dive guides will be spearing them. I think there's a bounty in a number of places. You point them out to the dive guide and he kills them. I've heard of some locations trying to feed the speared ones to other fish to try and create a predator for them. No clue if this has seen any success.

I saw clown fish on a menu once but I didn't try it... I've heard they taste funny.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            they are a pacific ocean creature with no natural predators in the Atlantic. Urban legend is that they got washed out into the Atlantic from pet stores during a hurricane, but that seems like a stretch to me. Regardless, they were introduced to the Atlantic in Florida, I would guess about 15 years ago and have slowly been spreading across the Caribbean. They eat tons and nothing kills them. Most of the scuba tours I've been on, one of the dive guides will be spearing them. I think there's a bounty in a number of places. You point them out to the dive guide and he kills them. I've heard of some locations trying to feed the speared ones to other fish to try and create a predator for them. No clue if this has seen any success.

I saw clown fish on a menu once but I didn't try it... I've heard they taste funny.
            Lionfish were introduced long before 15 years ago. I was seeing them 20+ years ago, and they were not rare. I've heard the 80s is when it likely started.

Lots of caribbean islands serve it at your local mom and pop restaurant.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              Lionfish were introduced long before 15 years ago. I was seeing them 20+ years ago, and they were not rare. I've heard the 80s is when it likely started.

i felt sketchy with that 15 years... I think the last 10 years has been a bit of a whirl for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post

How would a Caribbean island serve anything at my local mom and pop restaurant ?
                ---------------------------------------------
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                  How would a Caribbean island serve anything at my local mom and pop restaurant ?
                  door dash

Comment

Restaurants Serving Lionfish

Lazy Days Restaurant in Islamorada, FL.
                    Key Largo Conch House in Key Largo, FL.
                    Fish House Encore in Key Largo, FL.
                    Castaways in Marathon, FL.
                    Food Shack in Jupiter, FL.
                    Chef Michael's in Islamorada, FL.
                    Krazy Fish in Fort Pierce, FL.
                    Mrs. Mac's Kitchen in Key Largo, FL.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      But all that said, the world would be a better place if folks ate less meat, and stopped thinking of meat (rather than protein) as an essential part of every meal. Also, meat alternatives have come a long way from back when I started. Finally, one could make the case that oysters in particular are essentially a plant in that they are non-motive and do not have brains or central nervous systems, and eat just a few a week essentially solves the main issues vegans in particular have, which is a lack of B vitamins in their diet (in fact, there are not many vegans who eat them and still call themselves vegans). It is also another source of protein.
                      this article reminded me of your post. I thought it was interesting.

An unappreciated group of filter-feeding animals found around our coastlines could clean up our waters and nourish a billion people. Is it time we championed bivalves?
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

https://www.bbc.com/future/bespoke/f...te-change.html
                        Great article. The BBC have done a really good job of tackling the issue of sustainability as it relates to food production.

The UK have seen an explosion in people following plant based diets, largely due to the focus on environmental impact as opposed to highlighting animal welfare. I think it's a smart approach.
                        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

https://www.bbc.com/future/bespoke/f...te-change.html
                          Yeah, it was info like that--how sustainable and helpful they are--coupled with how well they fit into a vegan diet, that brought me around on them. They check all the boxes, except some don't like their tastes, some don't wanna go down a slippery slope, and some have concerns about how they can suck up harmful stuff, which you then eat. I don't know where the stuff I eat comes from, so my solution is to just not eat a ton of it. I eat them like once a week.
                          Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-23-2021, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X