Extension question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extension question

I've got several players in their option year. 18 team, 5 X 5, OBP instead of average. Haven't calculated inflation, but probably 50-60% for top players. (Trout went for 66 last year, Degrom went for 50) So how long to extend these guys ? Leaning towards extending everyone except McCullers, but for how long ? Lamet is a huge question too.

Juan Soto -5
    Mike Yaz - 2
    Walker Buehler - 2
    L Hendricks - 7
    Dinelson Lamet - 2
    L McCullers -6

Extra 5 for each year of extension

EDIT: Hoping to compete this year and next. So focus on those two years.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

I see two ways you can attack this.

Method 1 - Extend Soto and Buehler for two years, Yaz, Hendricks, and Lamet for one year. That gives you a pile of cash to work with for this year and quality value keepers for next year. And then you can dump trade Soto and Buehler in their contract years to rebuild.

Method 2 - Extend Soto for 4 years ($25, if I'm calculating right), Buehler for 3 years ($17, again if I'm calculating right), Yaz for 2 or 3 years, and don't extend any of the pitchers. That gives you a long-term core of top players and a decent amount of cash this year and next. Lamet might even be worth a 1 year extension in this scenario.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I only extend stars. Yaz, I would never extend. Closers don't get extensions. Pitchers with extensive injury histories don't get extensions.

If your window is the next 2 years I'd extend Soto ~3 years, and Buehler for 1 or 2. Take all that money and win now.

You managed to *get* Soto and Buehler at these great prices, you can do the same again with the next stars that are coming up, don't over extend!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        I only extend stars. Yaz, I would never extend. Closers don't get extensions. Pitchers with extensive injury histories don't get extensions.

If your window is the next 2 years I'd extend Soto ~3 years, and Buehler for 1 or 2. Take all that money and win now.

You managed to *get* Soto and Buehler at these great prices, you can do the same again with the next stars that are coming up, don't over extend!
        So just for conversation....in 161 games Yaz has 31 Hr, 103 runs, 90 rbi. OBP is .357. Is this not considered a star?
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          So just for conversation....in 161 games Yaz has 31 Hr, 103 runs, 90 rbi. OBP is .357. Is this not considered a star?
          30 years old and as of 2 years ago he was a AAAA guy who hit 10-15 HR. No speed to speak of at the mlb level on a bad team that wont get him R/RBI. No, not close to a star for me.

When I say star I'm talking about someone in the top ~3 rounds of a redraft adp. Yaz goes in round 9.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            30 years old and as of 2 years ago he was a AAAA guy who hit 10-15 HR. No speed to speak of at the mlb level on a bad team that wont get him R/RBI. No, not close to a star for me.

When I say star I'm talking about someone in the top ~3 rounds of a redraft adp. Yaz goes in round 9.
            Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Will be interesting to see if anyone disagrees.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Take this advice with a grain of salt because despite playing for decades, I have never been in a league in the original format like this. If the goal is to compete for two years, I'd go 2 years on the studs--Soto and Buehler, and let the rest ride out the option. That maxes out your team this year, and allows you to use Soto and Buehler as dump pieces. I'd be tempted to extend Lamet one year, but the injury issues scare the crap out of me, given that he still isn't throwing his slider. Yaz scares me as juiced-ball mirage candidate. Hendricks's profit disappears if you extend more than one year, so why bother?

Also, never underestimate the chances of two stubborn sides digging in despite it hurting both and there being no 2022 season. Get a flag that flies forever this year.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                Take this advice with a grain of salt because despite playing for decades, I have never been in a league in the original format like this. If the goal is to compete for two years, I'd go 2 years on the studs--Soto and Buehler, and let the rest ride out the option. That maxes out your team this year, and allows you to use Soto and Buehler as dump pieces. I'd be tempted to extend Lamet one year, but the injury issues scare the crap out of me, given that he still isn't throwing his slider. Yaz scares me as juiced-ball mirage candidate. Hendricks's profit disappears if you extend more than one year, so why bother?

Also, never underestimate the chances of two stubborn sides digging in despite it hurting both and there being no 2022 season. Get a flag that flies forever this year.
                Thanks, I appreciate any input. Gives me some things to consider
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Don't know about star, but worthy of an extension on 2. However, I did look at his birthday wrong - had him at 28 instead of 30. I'd only extend one year in any case.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I would extend Soto 3 or 4 years (preferably 4). Buehler 1 year. That's it. Wouldnt extend a closer or a volatile pitcher like Lamet or McCullers. Hate extending pitchers at all really. Agree you just take the profit on yaz for this year.

Comment

I've got several players in their option year. 18 team, 5 X 5, OBP instead of average. Haven't calculated inflation, but probably 50-60% for top players. (Trout went for 66 last year, Degrom went for 50) So how long to extend these guys ? Leaning towards extending everyone except McCullers, but for how long ? Lamet is a huge question too.

Juan Soto -5
                      Mike Yaz - 2
                      Walker Buehler - 2
                      L Hendricks - 7
                      Dinelson Lamet - 2
                      L McCullers -6

Extra 5 for each year of extension

EDIT: Hoping to compete this year and next. So focus on those two years.
                      I'd extend to these prices:

Juan Soto -20
                      Mike Yaz - 7
                      Walker Buehler - 12
                      L Hendricks - 7 (no extension, closer over 30, no way)
                      Dinelson Lamet - 2 (very tempted, but risky and even though I think he stays healthy, he is likely to regress)
                      L McCullers -6 (ceiling not high enough to extend)

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post

Juan Soto -20
                        Mike Yaz - 7
                        Walker Buehler - 12
                        L Hendricks - 7 (no extension, closer over 30, no way)
                        Dinelson Lamet - 2 (very tempted, but risky and even though I think he stays healthy, he is likely to regress)
                        L McCullers -6 (ceiling not high enough to extend)
                        This is how I would play it.
                        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                          I would extend Soto 3 or 4 years (preferably 4). Buehler 1 year. That's it. Wouldnt extend a closer or a volatile pitcher like Lamet or McCullers. Hate extending pitchers at all really. Agree you just take the profit on yaz for this year.
                          look at Pauly and me agreeing on something....

Comment

Juan Soto -20- yes please!
                            Mike Yaz - 7- worth the risk of $5. Even with a regress easily earns a profit.
                            Walker Buehler - 12-Woo Hoo.
                            L Hendricks - 12 (signs 3 year deal with a club option for the exciting White Sox, I am giving him a year). Still cheap closer. And I am buying the top closer available at auction.
                            Dinelson Lamet - 7- Still really cheap and a good gamble.
                            L McCullers -6

Comment

For those who are recommending extending Hendricks, I'm assuming you also would have extended Blake Treinen after 2018? Yes, just one single example, but I think it is a good example of closers in general, even the "best" closer.

Comment

Working...
                              X