Risotto anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risotto anyone?

I am not much of a rice eater unless it is in a Chinese dish. So it is really easy for me to bypass it when I see it on menus over the years.

We recently started watching the censored version of Hell's Kitchen (just started season 5). From day one they made a big deal our of Risotto.

My wife recently took me out to a nice restaurant (following all covid protocols) for my birthday. They had a Lobster, Shrimp, Mushroom Risotto as one of their main course specials. We decided to order it as well as a nice New York Strip and split both entrees. It was really good.

This has led to me looking up recipes on line. There is a lot to it to make it special. It seems that the main thing is to cook it slow adding one cup of liquid at a time. We haven't tried to make it yet, but I am thinking it might just be this weekend.

So any Risotto fans out there?

Anyone actually make your own?

Have any tips, success stories, or even funny failures you would like to share?

Apparently it's something that you can mess up pretty easy with getting the liquid right.

that said, if you've got an instant pot it takes a lot of that trouble off your hands and you can make a passable risotto very easily. Sauté any extras (mushrooms, onions, whatever) Dump in the Arborio rice and liquid, cook for 5-10 minutes (look up a good instant pot risotto recipe), cook, open, stir in cheese, done.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Heye's getting me really interested in an instant pot....

Taken three swings at risotto in the past - one good outcome and two bad ones. Heye's right on liquid and timing being critical on a conventional stovetop.

My good result was with a chicken broth that I had pre-cooked portobella mushrooms in - took out the mushrooms and cut them up and sauteed them for a steak topping - and some shrimp.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Heye's getting me really interested in an instant pot....

Taken three swings at risotto in the past - one good outcome and two bad ones. Heye's right on liquid and timing being critical on a conventional stovetop.

My good result was with a chicken broth that I had pre-cooked portobella mushrooms in - took out the mushrooms and cut them up and sauteed them for a steak topping - and some shrimp.
        You really should get one, everything I have made in mine since I got it a year or so ago, has been very good to excellent. Minimal effort as well. Easy clean up, not too expensive.

I asked a Chef friend of mine for a small kitchen recommendations for cooking gear and he said 3 things--cast iron skillet, Top end Chef's knife and the Insta Pot. He wasn't wrong.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          Apparently it's something that you can mess up pretty easy with getting the liquid right.
          Exactly! It takes 25 minutes to make the perfect risotto according to Ramsey and other famous online chefs. After the rice is seared we have to stir in one cup of liquid at a time. I believe it to be 3 cups of liquid to one cup of rice. The rice has to slowly absorb the broth. It is part of what gives it that special risotto taste. Or so I have read and watched.

I am planning on making some on Sunday. Not sure what kind yet. I will make myself take the time and not hurry or take short cuts. Not interested in cooked rice. I want to try homemade risotto. I will report back either way. (I am kind of putting it out here so I do not procrastinate).

Comment

I ended up choosing a Broccoli Cheddar Risotto. My Grandson likes Broccoli so I thought I might have a shot that he likes it. Unfortunately he had a hockey game so he hasn't tried it yet.

My youngest daughter, Mrs. Gregg and I had it. All of us really liked it. This rendition is more of a side dish than a main course. I will look for and make a Main Dish recipe next time. The key is to really cook it slow.

I have to say it turned out great, and I would do nothing different if I made this one again.

INGREDIENTS
            8 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
            2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
            1 medium leek, white and light green parts only, cleaned and chopped
            1 pound broccoli (about 2 medium heads), cut into bite-sized florets
            Kosher salt
            Freshly ground black pepper
            2 cups arborio rice.
            1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

INSTRUCTIONS
            1. Place the broth in a medium saucepan over low heat and keep it at a very low simmer.
            2. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat in a large, high-sided sauté pan or Dutch oven. Add the leeks, a pinch of salt, and a couple of grinds of black pepper, and sauté until the leeks are fragrant and beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
            3. Add the rice and cook, stirring until the edges have turned translucent but the center is still opaque, about 2 minutes. You should also be able to smell the aroma of toasted rice.
            4. Begin incrementally adding the broth one ladle at a time, stirring constantly. Wait to add another ladle until the liquid has been almost completely absorbed by the rice. Continue adding broth until the rice is al dente and the broth is creamy. Begin tasting the rice after about 12 minutes to gauge how far it has cooked. At this point, add the broccoli florets. The risotto is ready when the broccoli is tender, the rice is al dente (when it still has a bit of chew), and the dish has the consistency of thick porridge, 20 to 30 minutes total (you might not use up all of the broth). If you run your spatula through the risotto, the risotto should flow slowly to fill in the space.
            5. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheddar and remaining 1 tablespoon butter until melted. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve immediately.

Comment

Working...
            X