Mark Cuban & the Dallas Mavericks pull the plug on the national anthem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    What's the reason for playing it in the first place? They've never played it at the start of a concert I've been to. Never played it when I went to a movie. Sporting events are just entertainment. Why specifically is it associated with basketball? What's the correlation?
    Agree.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

So it's a tradition that's long been associated with all sports around the world.
      I don't think so. Some countries will play their anthem at a final, but usually you have teams playing unrelated, non-patriotic songs at the outset of their matches. In Austria, when I lived there, they'd play the anthem at international matches but essentially nowhere else ever. They certainly didn't play the Austrian anthem when two Austrian teams played because they're not weirdo jingoists like we are. Flag lapel pins, playing the anthem, forcing people to declare their allegiance to a flag.....all that shit is super weird to most other normal countries not under the thumb of a dictator. Compulsory patriotism is garbage and should be rejected.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        last time I visited the Liberty Bell I was really disappointed in how it's been used for nationalism and capitalism over the years. Least favorite attraction in Philly. And that includes the Rocky statue.
        My favorite Philly site was the fountain that i wasn't supposed to wade in to cool off when it was 100 degrees. The prison was cool too
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
          I don't think so. Some countries will play their anthem at a final, but usually you have teams playing unrelated, non-patriotic songs at the outset of their matches. In Austria, when I lived there, they'd play the anthem at international matches but essentially nowhere else ever. They certainly didn't play the Austrian anthem when two Austrian teams played because they're not weirdo jingoists like we are. Flag lapel pins, playing the anthem, forcing people to declare their allegiance to a flag.....all that shit is super weird to most other normal countries not under the thumb of a dictator. Compulsory patriotism is garbage and should be rejected.
          It's true. Maybe not every country, but many do it the same as we do. Out of tradition.

My favorite Philly site was the fountain that i wasn't supposed to wade in to cool off when it was 100 degrees. The prison was cool too
          My favorite Philly site was Eastern State Penitentiary. Is that where you were incarcerated?

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            Why is it ridiculous? I mean it is a tradition, but I am not sure it is an important one.
            This^
            “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

It's true. Maybe not every country, but many do it the same as we do. Out of tradition.

My favorite Philly site was Eastern State Penitentiary. Is that where you were incarcerated?
              It is ! Wish it had more modern facilities
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                Also, I'm not one to really support required displays of patriotism. .
                Gotta get everyone indoctrinated.
                “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

eastern state penitentiary is awesome.

I peed in that fountain.
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

My favorite Philly site was Eastern State Penitentiary.
                    My favorite Philly site has always been the airport on a departing flight.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                      eastern state penitentiary is awesome.

I peed in that fountain.
                      I would hope that everyone did
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        my favorite philly site has always been the airport on a departing flight.
                        lol!!

Comment

It is ! Wish it had more modern facilities
                          Not trying to make fun of anyone who has been incarcerated or judge them...we all have different paths in life. It's one long learning experience
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            My favorite Philly site has always been the airport on a departing flight.
                            we didn't want you anyway.
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Who makes the best cheesesteaks? I thought sonny's were great.

George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                                The Dallas Mavericks have stopped playing the national anthem before their home games. It will be interesting to see if other sports teams follow suit to take the spotlight off of their players who kneel for the national anthem.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/mark-...n-social-media
                                I haven't:

Comment

Working...
                                X