Oregon legalizes all drugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    Pretty much agree. Just wanted to point out that it's not just the US that's doubtful this is good policy - there's many that actually border countries where this is done who are much more liberal than the US and have said "hmmm...nope".
    Yeah, and I get why...it will be hard to put this genie back in the bottle if things do not go as planned in Oregon. It is hard to take something away once given. I imagine they have looked at this long and hard though. I doubt this was done on a whim, and others have taken the plunge first on this as a proof on concept with good success.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      Then who is making the fat stacks in Oregon over this change?
      Oregon is a little different
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I think any move away from the militarization (or fetishizing) of police naturally accompanies more liberal drug policy. So perhaps in this case it's what happens when the money starts going away from where it's traditionally been? Not sure, but OR did pass relatively sweeping police reform only a few months back.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

I meant opposition to the new program is all about the money
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            I meant opposition to the new program is all about the money
            I misunderstood - thought you meant it was all about the money for the State of Oregon.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              I misunderstood - thought you meant it was all about the money for the State of Oregon.
              In the long run it should save them a little money
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

In the long run it should save them a little money
                And eventually tax more legalized sales.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

It's always about the money.
                  You mean the $42 Billion U.S. Rehab industry?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

https://blog.marketresearch.com/42-b...and-challenges
                    better money spent on rehab to help people than on everything that comes from criminalization Rehab is also non race biased, unlike the entire criminalization process involving drugs.

Don't know about you, but I'd rather see money spoent and/or made helping people out of addiction, than the current BS.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

https://blog.marketresearch.com/42-b...and-challenges
                      Watch out for Big Rehab, pushing their slimy agenda to give people help instead of take their freedom away!
                      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                        Other countries have done a lot of things with success that "folks" are skeptical will work in America. Why are folks skeptical is the bigger question.
                        We are much happier spending money to punish people than we are to help people. I think it would take a huge adjustment in priority. Pay for people to get healthy when their condition is their own damn fault? That's not my problem.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                          We are much happier spending money to punish people than we are to help people. I think it would take a huge adjustment in priority. Pay for people to get healthy when their condition is their own damn fault? That's not my problem.
                          You forgot the sarcasm emoji

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                            My question to SourMasher was meant to be more general, not specific to the drug issue. More of a philosophical question (from the Feral Slasher, what else would you expect) And I kind of gave a flippant response to him, but with a degree of truth. I guess because i think it isn't just the Republicans, though they surely create some problems and I don't think they are very helpful to put it mildly. It's just frustrating that our government doesn't seem really interested in making things better. Or maybe just not capable in the current environment, and we have such a small lane of what is acceptable or what solutions we can push for.

So SourMasher, I apologize, I didn't intend to start an argument about who profits from drug legalization or lack thereof.
                            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

It will be interesting to see if drug related deaths go up in the next couple of years.

It will be interesting to see how many drug addicts will flock to Oregon to use freely.

It will be interesting to how much will crime rise in Oregon in the next couple of years.

I am someone who is considered to be in long term recovery and work daily to help people in need of recovery or stay in a recovery lifestyle. I do not do this as a profession.

Comment

It will be interesting to see if drug related deaths go up in the next couple of years.

It will be interesting to see how many drug addicts will flock to Oregon to use freely.

It will be interesting to how much will crime rise in the next couple of years.

I am someone who is considered to be in long term recovery and work daily to help people in need of recovery or stay in a recovery lifestyle.
                                those are all good questions/considerations.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X