Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should smokers be in the first priority group for the COVID vaccine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would stop someone from saying they smoke when they don't to get a faster vaccine? I'm for prioritizing obvious risk factors like exposure of frontline workers and age before rewarding those who made poor lifestyle choices with a cut in line. Of course, there will be overlap there, as many front line workers smoke, but those folks are essential workers and they should all be a priority. The way the role out is going, we are a good ways off from being able to prioritize risky life style choices, as front line workers and the elderly are still having trouble getting it.

If and when those folks get theirs, I'd have no problem with a smoker my age getting it before me, but I am able to manage my risk unlike those exposed on the daily.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
      Interesting question

I am a teacher that has been teaching from my class in New Jersey every day - 1/3 in class - 1/3 zoom - 1/3 remote - it is very challenging
      and extremely NOT safe.
      We are one of the very very few districts in the schools in the county right now - The superintendent disagrees with the town council, the teachers, the union, the health and safety office, and everyone else about the safety so we go in

I cannot yet get a vaccine for teachers but smokers already can. I am scheduled to get one next week because of serious health issues

One good thing about getting smokers vaccinated is that they already have an increased chance to get covid THEN pass it along to me - so if they are vaccinated then there is less chance to infect others
      I had not thought of your last point. That is compelling, and reinforces smokers being next in line AFTER teachers like you in the classroom and other frontline workers, but I still say you get yours first. I still would not put them in the first priority group, but the next one.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
        Interesting question

I am a teacher that has been teaching from my class in New Jersey every day - 1/3 in class - 1/3 zoom - 1/3 remote - it is very challenging
        and extremely NOT safe.
        We are one of the very very few districts in the schools in the county right now - The superintendent disagrees with the town council, the teachers, the union, the health and safety office, and everyone else about the safety so we go in

I cannot yet get a vaccine for teachers but smokers already can. I am scheduled to get one next week because of serious health issues

One good thing about getting smokers vaccinated is that they already have an increased chance to get covid THEN pass it along to me - so if they are vaccinated then there is less chance to infect others
        Is it that smokers are more at risk to get it or more at risk to die IF they get it?

Comment

Save lives first. Pass moral judgment on others later (or, crazy idea, not at all).
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Is it that smokers are more at risk to get it or more at risk to die IF they get it?
            It's that they die

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
              Save lives first. Pass moral judgment on others later (or, crazy idea, not at all).
              Is there evidence that non-first responder smokers are more at risk for Covid than non-smoking first-responders? It seems to me that those in professions that require frequent contact with people with Covid are most at risk and should be our first priority. A smoker should get it before I do, but I'd feel differently if I was in constant contact with sick people and was behind a stay at home smoker in line.

If the poll questions was should smokers get priority over people like me, I'd have answered yes. I am surprised by the number of voters think they should have priority over those in at risk professions. I guess it comes down for those voters of mortality rate if they get COVID vs how likely they are to get it. I favor limiting the number of infected, and prioritizing essential workers makes sense to me.
              Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-28-2021, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I say no way to the smokers jumping the line....and i say this because the long-term effects of COVID19 are not known.

Sure a healthy 30 year old who get COVID might have less of a risk of dying than a smoker, but how about long term effects? Maybe 3 years from now (or however long) that 30 year old has a potentially deadly health issue directly related to having COVID?

So people who know the risks of smoking and don't give a damn get to jump the line over people who actually take care of their bodies? No fucking way!
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                X