Biden's Cabinet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    You're telling me I don't get to know who my great, great, great grandfather is?
    OK Jesse.

You might want to stop ignorantly telling me what is appropriate for me, because in this case you are very, very wrong.

You know very little about the local history here, but yes, there is massive documentation. I've talked to a direct relative who is a tribal member about it at length.

All of my direct descendants are deceased outside of my dad, however, I had an interest in knowing where I came from and my family kept documentation.

WTF does being white have to do with looking up ancestry? What a racist thing to say.

If you are interested in this conversation further, please PM, my ancestry has nothing to do with the celebration of Biden's appointees.
    My questions clearly pissed you off, which was not my intent.

I didn't get answers to simple questions, which is disappointing. But I give up. Not worth the hostility it's creating.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
      My questions clearly pissed you off, which was not my intent.

I didn't get answers to simple questions, which is disappointing. But I give up. Not worth the hostility it's creating.
      I'm not pissed or hostile. Not upset at all actually.

I added some edits above. Going forward if you are actually interested in answers to questions, then don't start out with false accusations. That'll get you better answers!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        I'm not pissed or hostile. Not upset at all actually.

I added some edits above. Going forward if you are actually interested in answers to questions, then don't start out with false accusations. That'll get you better answers!
        My post wasn't accusing you of anything, but I can see how you could reach that conclusion. My apologies. I was noting that there's actually a widespread trend of non-Indigenous people claiming tribal heritage. Elizabeth Warren is the most prominent example, but just one of many to profiteer from claims of tribal heritage. I was trying to say that you might want to stop making the claim to tribal heritage if you have similarly specious evidence as that of Warren. As you've never identified as Indigenous in the past, I was curious what physical evidence there was, and was disappointed in your response there is "massive evidence". I just wondered how someone researches this, period. If it was some combo of Ancestry.com, pictures, living relatives, etc., I just wondered what supporting documentation you would have. I even said that I'm sure you have less bullshitty evidence than Elizabeth Wampum....

By the way, the most recent case of this in Canada is that of the director of an Indigenous centered TV show called Trickster. She claimed Indigenous heritage to land plum creative jobs on Indigenous programming. She lost her job over the false claims. Again, zero accusations against you, just giving context for what I was saying about this type of claim being a hot button issue.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/m...tity-1.5845310
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

My post wasn't accusing you of anything, but I can see how you could reach that conclusion. My apologies. I was noting that there's actually a widespread trend of non-Indigenous people claiming tribal heritage. Elizabeth Warren is the most prominent example, but just one of many to profiteer from claims of tribal heritage.
          Understood, makes sense. I've gained absolutely nothing from knowing my heritage. It's just something I was interested in and thankfully my family kept good records.

As you've never identified as Indigenous in the past, I was curious what physical evidence there was, and was disappointed in your response there is "massive evidence".
          I just wondered how someone researches this, period. If it was some combo of Ancestry.com, pictures, living relatives, etc., I just wondered what supporting documentation you would have. I even said that I'm sure you have less bullshitty evidence than Elizabeth Wampum....
          I don't identify as Indigenous. Maybe that's part of the confusion. I just have some ancestry and I've talked to some distant cousins a few times.

As far as the physical evidence, man it's probably been 20 years since I got into it but my great aunt kept old newspaper articles, birth certificates, family bibles, photos of gravestones (weird), and wrote two books about the family (much of which had nothing to do with the indigenous branch). It ties in to a local family that had a fort in the area and there are historical sites that have been preserved (you can actually go to the physical site of the fort), along with scores of data about the family and what happened to them.

By the way, the most recent case of this in Canada is that of the director of an Indigenous centered TV show called Trickster. She claimed Indigenous heritage to land plum creative jobs on Indigenous programming. She lost her job over the false claims. Again, zero accusations against you, just giving context for what I was saying about this type of claim being a hot button issue. https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/m...tity-1.5845310
          Yeah, sounds like she deserved to lose her job. I have zero profit from talking about my ancestry on a message board thankfully, so the comparison doesn't really hold water, but I understand your concern. If I was actually profiting somehow you'd be right to be critical.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
            Deb Haaland confirmed as Interior Secretary, becoming the most powerful Native American politician in our country’s history. Absolutely amazing to have a Native American at the helm of the cabinet that has historically done so much damage to Indian rights and people. Representation is important.

Her story is pretty neat: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...st/4358588001/
            ok, this thread derailed, but lets get it back on topic. This is a really cool thing, I don't care if you are blue or red.

Comment

Huh, I didn’t know that Ken’s Salad Dressing was made by Native Americans. Learn something new every day!

Comment

If you want to signal your wokeness, try not using the term "Indian" when discussing Native Americans (alternatively, Indigenous people). These two terms have been widely used as the politically correct ones for identifying this group starting around the late 90's.

It's a pretty insulting thing to care so little about a group of people as to flippantly call them "Native American" in one sentence and "Indian" in the next.

The only people that actually think they're getting progress with something like Haaland's appointment are people that don't need for anything to actually progress, and fools. The two groups are not mutually exclusive.
                The rare post that starts off stunningly stupid and somehow gets even worse from there. Cringeworthy. Yikes.
                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Read the posted article for her background. Very cool. What struck me is how could this be the 1st native american cabinet member.

"Native activists who will look to Haaland's oversight of the department's Bureau of Indian Affairs to help fix inadequate healthcare, poor education and crumbling infrastructure. Haaland is the nation's first Native American Cabinet member".

In any case, pretty universal praise for her from what is historically an under represented group.

Comment

Yet another groundbreaking appointment --- former ACLU, NAACP, and civil rights lawyer Vonita Gupta confirmed by the Senate (with one lone Republican in tow, lol) 51-49. She becomes the first woman of color ever nominated to the position of associate attorney general and, obviously, the first confirmed. Yet another victory for progressives. Republicans were apparently shocked and disgusted with "Twitter attacks" she has levied against Republicans because seriously guys, Republicans are super against Twitter attacks as we all know.
                    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Democrats confirmed Kristen Clarke on Tuesday as the first Black woman to lead the Justice Department's Civil Rights division, a historic step that came on the anniversary of George Floyd's killing -- and after a vitriolic campaign by Republicans over her stance on policing.

The vote was 51-48 with Sen. Susan Collins as the only Republican voting for her confirmation. Clarke's confirmation breaks barriers in a department that was established in 1957.
                      Democrats confirmed Kristen Clarke on Tuesday as the first Black woman to lead the Justice Department’s Civil Rights division, a historic step that came on the anniversary of George Floyd’s killing – and after a vitriolic campaign by Republicans over her stance on policing.

Comment

Working...
                      X