No announcement yet.

Covid Vaccine thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We booked this trip right at the nadir of cases...it has been two years since we have gone to visit family in Florida. We wish we had not committed so much money. We did not think it was possible that the case rate down there could spike so quickly to the highest levels Florida has seen. I mean, they have been acting nonchalant about this all along, and now there are many millions vaccinated whereas with the last spike this bad, very, very few were. These new variants, I guess, are a big part of it. IDK. Maybe we should just eat the cost and not go, but we committed all of our savings into this after two years with not vacation and not seeing grandparents or my sister and her family. It really sucks this spike is happening. I thought I was realistic about this thing, but I did not see such a massive spike in cases happening so soon and so high at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      We booked this trip right at the nadir of cases...it has been two years since we have gone to visit family in Florida. We wish we had not committed so much money. We did not think it was possible that the case rate down there could spike so quickly to the highest levels Florida has seen. I mean, they have been acting nonchalant about this all along, and now there are many millions vaccinated whereas with the last spike this bad, very, very few were. These new variants, I guess, are a big part of it. IDK. Maybe we should just eat the cost and not go, but we committed all of our savings into this after two years with not vacation and not seeing grandparents or my sister and her family. It really sucks this spike is happening. I thought I was realistic about this thing, but I did not see such a massive spike in cases happening so soon and so high at this point.
      that sucks. I have a similar situation with a trip i planned for September. Best to wait as long as you can and get as much data as possible and assess the risks. Unfortunate that it has to be this way.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        I'm sure some people would spin it as the government is paying 100 bucks because they want to give you a microchip and control your life...but at the end of the day 100 dollars means a lot to many people. Just sad that we even have to have this discussion.
        I imagine most who have not been vaccinated yet think the vaccines are more dangerous than the virus. For someone who thinks that, $100 is not going to sway them. But I'm sure there are at least some people who don't think that. They think they are not at risk or that COVID is not a big deal. I could see some of those people being swayed. If you don't think the shot is dangerous, why not, right?

Comment

that sucks. I have a similar situation with a trip i planned for September. Best to wait as long as you can and get as much data as possible and assess the risks. Unfortunate that it has to be this way.
          Times up. Our fight is Saturday. Our rental house won't reimburse us, and the flights are non-refundable. We are gonna go. I am not really worried about being down there. We are going nowhere but the beach and we will only hang out with vaccinated family. But the trip itself is scary. Two young kids and a plane. I've read outbreaks don't often happen on planes and in airports, which is good, but it is hard for me to wrap my head around given how tight everyone is on a plane.

Comment

I imagine most who have not been vaccinated yet think the vaccines are more dangerous than the virus. For someone who thinks that, $100 is not going to sway them. But I'm sure there are at least some people who don't think that. They think they are not at risk or that COVID is not a big deal. I could see some of those people being swayed. If you don't think the shot is dangerous, why not, right?
            who knows...I can't begin to get in the mind of people who were not anxious to get the vaccine as soon as possible.
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Times up. Our fight is Saturday. Our rental house won't reimburse us, and the flights are non-refundable. We are gonna go. I am not really worried about being down there. We are going nowhere but the beach and we will only hang out with vaccinated family. But the trip itself is scary. Two young kids and a plane. I've read outbreaks don't often happen on planes and in airports, which is good, but it is hard for me to wrap my head around given how tight everyone is on a plane.
              From what I've read airports/flights are not really a big risk. I flew for the first time in over a year in June, and of course I got seated next to an anti-vaxxer, lol. sounds like you have a decision, try not to worry too much and enjoy the trip. what else can you do
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

My experience is that mask wearing on planes is pretty good. Not 100% perfect but close to it. In the airport it is more hit or miss, I'd say like 80-90% but it varies based on the crowd.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

who knows...I can't begin to get in the mind of people who were not anxious to get the vaccine as soon as possible.
                  It is gonna make some people angry, but a lot of places are requiring vaccination, and that will move the needle. Federal workers, college students returning to school, etc. My university says it will require all students be vaccinated, but the fine print is that it assumes full FDA approval, which I just do not see happening before September.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                    My experience is that mask wearing on planes is pretty good. Not 100% perfect but close to it. In the airport it is more hit or miss, I'd say like 80-90% but it varies based on the crowd.
                    Have you flown a lot during the pandemic? If so, has it felt like a high risk endeavor?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      The anti vaxxer on the plane next to me apparently had a sub par mask and they brought one that they made him wear. I think Alaska Airlines is pretty tight on mask rules, may be different for other airlines....but I think they all want people to feel safe so they have incentive to enforce masking.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

The anti vaxxer on the plane next to me apparently had a sub par mask and they brought one that they made him wear. I think Alaska Airlines is pretty tight on mask rules, may be different for other airlines....but I think they all want people to feel safe so they have incentive to enforce masking.
                        I thought all the airlines made folks mask, but I guess it gets fuzzy with eating and drinking and maybe folks purposefully doing both slowly. Hoping ours is not full.

Comment

I thought all the airlines made folks mask, but I guess it gets fuzzy with eating and drinking and maybe folks purposefully doing both slowly. Hoping ours is not full.
                          Delta and Alaska are both pretty hardcore, though you've hit the nail on the head - people who don't like masks bring on 1-2 bottles of water or soda and just nurse them through the trip. Airline air is about as sterile as it comes, though, between the air changes and HEPA filtering systems. So I don't think you're at any notable risk on the flight. If you're flying out of Albany, that's where I'd be most careful.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            Delta and Alaska are both pretty hardcore, though you've hit the nail on the head - people who don't like masks bring on 1-2 bottles of water or soda and just nurse them through the trip. Airline air is about as sterile as it comes, though, between the air changes and HEPA filtering systems. So I don't think you're at any notable risk on the flight. If you're flying out of Albany, that's where I'd be most careful.
                            Syracuse. Just worry about the kids. My 6 year old pukes about every other flight, medication or no, and both kids get wicked ear aches landing too. I hate flying under the best of circumstances. It has been awhile. I don't miss it.

Comment

Syracuse. Just worry about the kids. My 6 year old pukes about every other flight, medication or no, and both kids get wicked ear aches landing too. I hate flying under the best of circumstances. It has been awhile. I don't miss it.
                              Well, if you have an anti-masker, you can always aim your 6-year old at them.

Been a very long time since I've been through Syracuse, but I don't remember it being anywhere near as crowded as Albany, so that's good.
                              Last edited by chancellor; 07-29-2021, 09:10 PM.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Have you flown a lot during the pandemic? If so, has it felt like a high risk endeavor?
                                Five times. Twice around my mom's open heart surgery (once to see her beforehand and once to help her during recovery) in March/April 2021. Both on United. The first of those flights was good - less than half full and everyone wearing masks. The second time around was not great, planes completely full and mask discipline was not enforced as strictly. I wouldn't have flown then if I didn't think it might be the last time I'd see my mom, or that she needed my help to recover.

Then I've flown three times on Delta for work (May, June, July) after being vaccinated. Delta is better about mask discipline, and being vaccinated I haven't felt super worried. I think even unvaccinated kids would probably be safe on airplane if they're wearing their masks as much as they can.
                                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                                X