Covid Vaccine thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    Well, if you have an anti-masker, you can always aim your 6-year old at them.

Been a very long time since I've been through Syracuse, but I don't remember it being anywhere near as crowded as Albany, so that's good.
    We usually go through Albany, because we can get a direct flight that way, but Syracuse was the best option this time. I can't remember if we have ever flown out of there, but good to know it may not be as busy as Albany, which I don't recall being too horrible--at least not compared to South Florida, which is always packed.

Comment

• So the delta variant is as contagious as Chickenpox and has more severe symptoms than regular covid...but that's according to the CDC so...Mask Up!!
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I've only been to Albany Airport once.

I was working as a camp counselor and we had to go pick up one of the kids who was flying in from Florida. Me, another counselor and a driver get into a camp van and head off for Albany Airport, about an hour away. We get to Albany (and this is 1996, so not easy cell phone days) and, oops, we were actually supposed to pick him up at Hartford Airport, which was about 1:30 away from camp, but in the opposite direction. We then had to drive 2 hours from Albany to Hartford to pick up this 8 year old kid. When we finally got there, the airport was practically deserted and security was letting the kid play on the PA system. Good times.

Now that I type this out, I can't remember if we actually went to Hartford and were supposed to go to Albany. Either way, the van driver was furious at us because we definitely told him the wrong airport to go to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
          Five times. Twice around my mom's open heart surgery (once to see her beforehand and once to help her during recovery) in March/April 2021. Both on United. The first of those flights was good - less than half full and everyone wearing masks. The second time around was not great, planes completely full and mask discipline was not enforced as strictly. I wouldn't have flown then if I didn't think it might be the last time I'd see my mom, or that she needed my help to recover.

Then I've flown three times on Delta for work (May, June, July) after being vaccinated. Delta is better about mask discipline, and being vaccinated I haven't felt super worried. I think even unvaccinated kids would probably be safe on airplane if they're wearing their masks as much as they can.
          Cool. We are flying Delta, so that sounds like it is a good thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
            I've only been to Albany Airport once.

I was working as a camp counselor and we had to go pick up one of the kids who was flying in from Florida. Me, another counselor and a driver get into a camp van and head off for Albany Airport, about an hour away. We get to Albany (and this is 1996, so not easy cell phone days) and, oops, we were actually supposed to pick him up at Hartford Airport, which was about 1:30 away from camp, but in the opposite direction. We then had to drive 2 hours from Albany to Hartford to pick up this 8 year old kid. When we finally got there, the airport was practically deserted and security was letting the kid play on the PA system. Good times.

Now that I type this out, I can't remember if we actually went to Hartford and were supposed to go to Albany. Either way, the van driver was furious at us because we definitely told him the wrong airport to go to.
            Wow, I'd have been freaking out. But that is what whoever was in charge gets for letting punk kids go pick up a kid .

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Why do you say only 90%?
              any apocalypse caused by man there will always be survivors. as a spies were are so wide spread and abundant and clever and intelligent. here's my Agent Smith impression, I have noticed another species similar to man in their ability to survive and cleverness and their warm sociability. it's rats.

no but seriously, you can't wipe rats out either. the RV guy had one as a pet once, it's was one of the only redeeming qualities I felt towards him.

only an asteroid or comet impact could ever wipe everyone out. there will always be some people would survive a solar flare, super-volcano, nuclear war, pandemic. surprisingly that's all I can think of did I miss any? global warming. you can debate how much greenhouse gases a planet can voir dire. but you can't debate what happened to the planet Venus. or pollution. the planet cleans that stuff up fairly well. chemicals. there will always be survivors outside an act of God.

and here I thought you meant rapture, which I knew you didn't. and you thought I mean the next conspiracy theory or something. but it's just math. and heartache, and tragedy.

I have another version were everyone is saved. it's possible. you don't get to this point as a species and not have hope. but if Armageddon happens on Earth, there will always be survivors.

Comment

• from 2018 https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-v...olve-20180510/ Vaccines Are Pushing Pathogens to Evolve

not related to covid.
                Evolutionary biologists aren’t surprised that this is happening. A vaccine is a novel selection pressure placed on a pathogen, and if the vaccine does not eradicate its target completely, then the remaining pathogens with the greatest fitness — those able to survive, somehow, in an immunized world — will become more common. “If you don’t have these pathogens evolving in response to vaccines,” said Paul Ewald, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Louisville, “then we really don’t understand natural selection.”
                you guys are right, the unvaccinated creates a chicken and egg problem. but eventually you will reach herd immunity either way. and then we will be able to test this hypothesis.

one more post and I will stop being crazy for a few weeks... don't mind me.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                  as a spies were are so wide spread and abundant and clever and intelligent.
                  I actually have no idea what I meant. I think I meant rats. it's the greatest analogy I every heard when comparing an apocalypse. it's what convinced me that humans can't be wiped out. and gave me hope.

odds are good our species makes it off the planet.

did you know, future aliens are just humans travelling into the past. I learned this from the movie Sphere. and the greatest wish you can ever have is forgetting you had a wish.

oh I had a great literature quote and forgot

Comment

• oh I remember, Mark Twain and his dammed human race essay. that's a pretty bad essay actually. but he does compare rats in a favorable light.

did you know Mark Twain was really Agent Smiths tutor in the Matrix. ..i'll run fact checkers around for days on that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                      oh I remember, Mark Twain and his dammed human race essay. that's a pretty bad essay actually. but he does compare rats in a favorable light.

did you know Mark Twain was really Agent Smiths tutor in the Matrix. ..i'll run fact checkers around for days on that one.
                      cool, see you in August if you don't get the Delta
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• the Greatest achievement or thing about Earth is us. an animal species that has come so far, sitting in a classroom at a desk, learning about a universe that birthed us. you know that saying, a 3 pound mass of jelly, learning to wonder about it's ability to wonder. that is an animal species that has come a long way.

I am still waiting to be infected by the next supervirus that will give me 5 Codons instead of my usual 4.

Comment

• LOL...I read that and wondered what you needed 5 condoms for.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

LOL...I read that and wondered what you needed 5 condoms for.
                            Lemme give you a hand with that...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Interesting reports out of NYC on vaccination rates.

Article reference: https://www.thecity.nyc/coronavirus/...e-hospitalized

Key points:

- Only 60% of NYC health and hospital staff are vaccinated.
                              - Only 60% of NYC Education workforce are vaccinated.
                              - Under 50% of combined public safety (police, fire, Dept. of Corrections) are vaccinated.
                              - Over 65% of Transit Authority workforce are vaccinated.

I found those numbers interesting and thought-provoking.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Interesting reports out of NYC on vaccination rates.

Article reference: https://www.thecity.nyc/coronavirus/...e-hospitalized

Key points:

- Only 60% of NYC health and hospital staff are vaccinated.
                                - Only 60% of NYC Education workforce are vaccinated.
                                - Under 50% of combined public safety (police, fire, Dept. of Corrections) are vaccinated.
                                - Over 65% of Transit Authority workforce are vaccinated.

I found those numbers interesting and thought-provoking.
                                Willful ignorance exists in every walk of life.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X