Covid Vaccine thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid Vaccine thread

Our IL Gov is soon going to go to plan 1B for Vaccinations. I fall into that category. I am planning on getting them. I think I am leaning towards Moderna if I have a choice.

So first are you in on the vaccines?

Do you have a choice of brands and why. (mine is based on something I read that Moderna can last two years).

Would you take the other brand rather than wait for your first choice?
    Last edited by Gregg; 01-12-2021, 02:30 PM.

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    Our IL Gov is soon going to go to plan 1B for Vaccinations. I fall into that category. I am planning on getting them. I think I am leaning towards Moderna if I have a choice.

Do you have a choice of brands and why. (mine is base on something I read that Moderna can last two years).

Faculty teaching in person at my university will have access in this stage, but those who are remote will have to wait. I am remote in the Spring, but I plan on taking it when I am able. I would take either of the high efficacy vaccines--Moderna or Pfizer. The only thing that would make me want one over the other is if they end up diluting the dosages and if there is evidence one is more effective than the other at those diluted dosages.

The only times I took flu vaccines in my life were the first two years after each of my sons were born. The low efficacy of those vaccines coupled with the relatively low risk to me, my family and those I might expose, aside from those four years, did not make it seem worth it to me. COVID is significantly more dangerous, but I'd still hope to be able to take a vaccine that is clinically proven to cause immunity over 75% of the time, and ideally prevent serious illness/death 100% of the time. Both Moderna and Pfizer seem to do that right now. As the time gets closer where I can get access to a vaccine, I might look into it more, but I am uncertain I will have a chose on what is first available in my area.

Comment

Per the three doctors I've seen in the last month, they've all communicated the same message to me - get whichever one is available to you first. The efficacy difference is negligible at this point. I'll get the vaccine as soon as I'm able to, regardless of vendor. Given my health profile, I suspect I'll get it within the next two months.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I'm in group 1C for New Jersey, but I'm guessing that won't be until the Spring. I'll take whichever one is available to me at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Per the three doctors I've seen in the last month, they've all communicated the same message to me - get whichever one is available to you first. The efficacy difference is negligible at this point. I'll get the vaccine as soon as I'm able to, regardless of vendor. Given my health profile, I suspect I'll get it within the next two months.
          Does that includes AstraZenica? Surprising if so.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            Does that includes AstraZenica? Surprising if so.
            No, at that time it was just the Pfizer and Moderna. Good call.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              No, at that time it was just the Pfizer and Moderna. Good call.
              If not good grammar. I don't know why I fell into internet cat speak there.

Comment

I received my first dose of the vaccine last week. The Pfizer vaccine was the one available. My work within the hospital setting brought me to the front of the line. I have six staff members and half did not take the vaccine. One has MS, and her doctors suggested there wasn't enough information at this time to give a recommendation for or against. She decided to wait. The second decided against it, even though, she is extremely high risk. The third, well he reads too much garbage on the internet. I shared with them that we care contractors, and the hospital could mandate vaccination to be allowed to work within the hospital. At that point, there is not much I can do to secure their jobs.

Second dose is already scheduled for January 26th.

Only side effect was a pretty stiff arm from the shot.
                "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Congrats to everyone who has received or is scheduled to receive the vaccines. I am feeling very, very eager to get innoculated. Hopefully soon. I'll also take whatever one is available.
                  More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

We are in group C

As in C if you have any left once everyone else gets one.

there that makes more sense.
                    Last edited by GwynnInTheHall; 01-12-2021, 04:32 PM.
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                      We are in group C and in

C if you have any left once everyone else gets one.
                      I wonder about the black market for real and fake vaccines. Haven't seen anything, but it seems like we will at some point. Some enterprising youngster could make a lot of money injecting water into gullible rich people I would think
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                        I wonder about the black market for real and fake vaccines. Haven't seen anything, but it seems like we will at some point. Some enterprising youngster could make a lot of money injecting water into gullible rich people I would think
                        Error....I mean I have a few extra doses, maybe we can reach a mutually beneficial agreement
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

Do you have a choice of brands and why. (mine is based on something I read that Moderna can last two years).

I would say Moderna. it's almost like that company was created to make this type of vaccine. if you read my last post in the coronavirus thread you can see why. Pfizer is about the same except it's just made a little different. an allergic reaction seems like the only real risk for both of the mRNA ones. ..if this works, and it should, Moderna is poised to do great things with vaccines. this is exactly what they specialize in, employing mRNA for vaccines. they made a vaccine for this in FEB, just had to wait for the trials. as far as the so-called risk of Bell's Palsy, I don't see what the big deal is about that. I've had it, it lasts about 2 weeks and they say once you get it you usually never get it again. one day I noticed I couldn't spit the way I usually do and was like wtf. but they say it's better to get it earlier in life. when you get it later it can get kind of bad.

I would be hesitant to get the AstraZenica vaccine. that's a different technology. but all three of the top vaccines seem to have been able to overcome the problem of your immune system attacking the vaccine or the method of delivery itself.

Moderna is going to change the world. right now they are working towards vaccines for the common flu, HIV and Nipah virus.

Comment

as a public school teacher - I am 1b
                            soon but no time frame in NJ yet

I teach in the classroom with kids everyday so I am eager - my superintendent ...

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                              I would say Moderna. it's almost like that company was created to make this type of vaccine. if you read my last post in the coronavirus thread you can see why. Pfizer is about the same except it's just made a little different. an allergic reaction seems like the only real risk for both of the mRNA ones. ..if this works, and it should, Moderna is poised to do great things with vaccines. this is exactly what they specialize in, employing mRNA for vaccines. they made a vaccine for this in FEB, just had to wait for the trials. as far as the so-called risk of Bell's Palsy, I don't see what the big deal is about that. I've had it, it lasts about 2 weeks and they say once you get it you usually never get it again. one day I noticed I couldn't spit the way I usually do and was like wtf. but they say it's better to get it earlier in life. when you get it later it can get kind of bad.

I would be hesitant to get the AstraZenica vaccine. that's a different technology. but all three of the top vaccines seem to have been able to overcome the problem of your immune system attacking the vaccine or the method of delivery itself.

Moderna is going to change the world. right now they are working towards vaccines for the common flu, HIV and Nipah virus.
                              I will do Moderna (preferred) or Pfizer. No other will be an option for me at this time. I will wait if needed.

My Father-In-Law got Bells it lasted a year. Gave him a droopy eye and left side of his mouth. Went away on it's own.

Comment

Working...
                              X