Page 113 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114 LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1131

Thread: Covid Vaccine thread

did you know that the way codeine works is that once it goes thru your liver it converts into morphine.

what really confuses me. 30 years ago i went to the mall to buy a poster of a kandinsky painting. i can't remember the composition and good luck finding it. it had a crocodile biting a circle. lol. like, kandinsky, it had planets orbiting satellite's before they existed. so this fucking blonde chick goes in the store next to me and buys a poster of the movie the crow with Brandon Lee. and i still don't understand why. it was a horrible movie. i am sitting here w/o cable watching the comet channel playing it this month, and it's just not a good movie, even tho crows are totally awesome.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by nullnor View Post
    did you know that the way codeine works is that once it goes thru your liver it converts into morphine.
    No I did not. But that would make some sense on the addiction side of things.

Did you know that when you drink beverage alcohol around 2 to 8 percent is lost through urine, sweat, or the breath. The other 92 to 98 percent is metabolized by your body. All ethyl alcohol which is broken down in the human body is first converted to acetaldehyde, and then this acetaldehyde is converted into acetic acid radicals--also known as acetyl radicals. Acetaldehyde is a poison which is a close relative of formaldehyde?

Hall of Famer
    what really confuses me. 30 years ago i went to the mall to buy a poster of a kandinsky painting. i can't remember the composition and good luck finding it. it had a crocodile biting a circle. lol. like, kandinsky, it had planets orbiting satellite's before they existed. so this fucking blonde chick goes in the store next to me and buys a poster of the movie the crow with Brandon Lee. and i still don't understand why. it was a horrible movie. i am sitting here w/o cable watching the comet channel playing it this month, and it's just not a good movie, even tho crows are totally awesome.
    Bad movie good posters? Maybe she was Goth?

Hall of Famer
    perhaps do no harm doesn't really exist anymore. or i live in a world, 20 years ago that no longer exists. i never paid much attention to oxytocin thing except that finding a morphine-like drug that wasn't addictive has always been the holy grail of medicine. surprisingly it's started in the late 60's or early 70's by hair replacement companies. Upjohn. i guess they survived and are a subsidy of Pfizer.

the holy grail of medicine. finding a morphine drug to relieve pain that wasn't addictive. and what is it, 100k americans died of it last year? i have no idea. i live in the past. in my world such things don't exist. i've never heard of oxycontin. so maybe i am barking up the wrong tree. and do no harm stopped existing 20 years ago.
    There was never no harm.

I just lost a coworker to COVID yesterday. He was in his early fifties and otherwise in good health. That's the second person close to me, who was otherwise healthy, that has died in this pandemic. Both of them are a great loss.

I would plead with you, if you have not been vaccinated, please consider it. I would be happy to talk with anyone about hesitations they may have. I don't want to lose any more friends to this virus.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    I just lost a coworker to COVID yesterday. He was in his early fifties and otherwise in good health. That's the second person close to me, who was otherwise healthy, that has died in this pandemic. Both of them are a great loss.

I would plead with you, if you have not been vaccinated, please consider it. I would be happy to talk with anyone about hesitations they may have. I don't want to lose any more friends to this virus.
    Were your friends not vaccinated?

Sorry for the loss.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post

Way too young. I am sorry for your loss.

i had an idea recently, what would happen if you could prevent all deaths on earth except for natural causes. for example, do some of the longest lived animals end up that way because they have less natural predators. why does the bowhead whale live over 200 hundred years, or the greenland shark 500 - which has a slow metabolism lurking in the bottom of a cold ocean. yet, the rougheye rockfish, which can grow up to 4 feet and swims the pacific ocean can live 200 years. freshwater pearl mussels can live 300 years, quahog clams 500 yrs, deep-water black corals can live 4000 yrs. Turritopsis dohrnii are called immortal jellyfish because they can potentially live forever. it would seem different animals employ different strategies. a lobster can live over 200 years, but i wouldn't say it doesn't have natural predators. a lobster has long telomeres. as the ends of our chromosomes get shorter cells stop being repaired and replaced. we don't actually know how long a lobster can live.

life is a complex system. it's goal is to preserve and pass along it's genes, and it's competition which seems like the shaping force. a species under duress matures and reproduces earlier. thus, reproduction also seems like a fundamental force. so what would happen on a planet with no competition, no accidents and everything lived forever. i imagine on an evolutionary scale fertility would change. with no selective pressure, instead of reproducing early it would happen later. i think this happens in orca matriarchs. cancer would happen less frequently. like cancer is nature's way of making sure we reproduce earlier. sharks don't seem to die a lot from cancer but then they have more cartilage. elephants have cancer resistant genes.

you could achieve immortality artificially with science perhaps by curing cancer and eliminating disease. but there would still be outside selective pressures. or you could do it naturally in 10,000 years by eliminating all other competition. but that would be a contradiction since intelligent life needs competition in order to evolve. yet somewhere in the universe there is a planet where a species has achieved immortality naturally, it has no selective pressure to reproduce early, and it has no other competing species.

Hall of Famer
    i had an idea recently, what would happen if you could prevent all deaths on earth except for natural causes. for example, do some of the longest lived animals end up that way because they have less natural predators. why does the bowhead whale live over 200 hundred years, or the greenland shark 500 - which has a slow metabolism lurking in the bottom of a cold ocean. yet, the rougheye rockfish, which can grow up to 4 feet and swims the pacific ocean can live 200 years. freshwater pearl mussels can live 300 years, quahog clams 500 yrs, deep-water black corals can live 4000 yrs. Turritopsis dohrnii are called immortal jellyfish because they can potentially live forever. it would seem different animals employ different strategies. a lobster can live over 200 years, but i wouldn't say it doesn't have natural predators. a lobster has long telomeres. as the ends of our chromosomes get shorter cells stop being repaired and replaced. we don't actually know how long a lobster can live.

life is a complex system. it's goal is to preserve and pass along it's genes, and it's competition which seems like the shaping force. a species under duress matures and reproduces earlier. thus, reproduction also seems like a fundamental force. so what would happen on a planet with no competition, no accidents and everything lived forever. i imagine on an evolutionary scale fertility would change. with no selective pressure, instead of reproducing early it would happen later. i think this happens in orca matriarchs. cancer would happen less frequently. like cancer is nature's way of making sure we reproduce earlier. sharks don't seem to die a lot from cancer but then they have more cartilage. elephants have cancer resistant genes.

you could achieve immortality artificially with science perhaps by curing cancer and eliminating disease. but there would still be outside selective pressures. or you could do it naturally in 10,000 years by eliminating all other competition. but that would be a contradiction since intelligent life needs competition in order to evolve. yet somewhere in the universe there is a planet where a species has achieved immortality naturally, it has no selective pressure to reproduce early, and it has no other competing species.
    Robert Sapolsky-Stanford:

"Primates are super smart and organized just enough to devote their free time to being miserable to each other and stressing each other out," he said. "But if you get chronically, psychosocially stressed, you're going to compromise your health. So, essentially, we've evolved to be smart enough to make ourselves sick."