No announcement yet.

Covid Vaccine thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i got a microwave oven from Walmart that looks like it was from one of the fallout games. i think it would be cool to decorate like that. i remember when i mentioned once how bottle caps would be a nice currency and TW posted that i liked the fallout games. i think about that when i play. and pick up my bottle caps.

Comment

• one of the things i find ironic is a place like Lithuania where they formed a line holding hands across the country in protest of everything they went through. showing your papers and stuff. yet today, because of a virus, you won't find many ppl holding hands. in a way i worry that we are letting a virus defeat democracy.
      On 23 August 1989, two million people held hands to form a human chain over 600 kilometres long linking three capital cities - Tallinn in Estonia, Riga in Latvia and Vilnius in Lithuania. This peaceful political demonstration became known as 'The Baltic Way'.

Comment

• i just took a small tick off the crazy calico. it was the easiest she ever allowed me. the other cat, her mom, just sat there watching. she actually makes her self conscious. always trying to clean her giving her a dirty complex. ticks are the ultimate. even now they are sitting there staring at each other. saying omg did he just take a tick off you.

i'll wake up at 3am in the morning a look over and the two cats have each other in a headlock. arguing about something in silence. yet that's why they are cats.

the funny thing about cats. they possess etiquette.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
          Yeah, I think a lot of us are asking ourselves a similar question. If you are so unconcerned about CV-19 affecting your health significantly that you would intentionally try to get infected, why is it important that you acquire immunity in the 1st place?

Actually, this raises an idea that I've been wondering about all along. Can you get some degree of immunity by being exposed to a small number of CV-19 viruses that arent enough to actually infect you? I dont really know but to my mind it stands to reason that this would be true. From what I've read, for a healthy person w a healthy immune system w no risk factors, it takes exposure to hundreds, maybe over a thousand, CV-19 viruses over a short period of time in order to infect you. I've probably been exposed to at least small numbers of CV-19 viruses at once at various times just by being out and about over the past 20 months. Probably most people have also. Obviously, these werent enough to infect me because I've never been infected (at least not symptomatically). But I wonder if I've received any immunity from these exposures. I havent seen any studies on this.
          i don't know. the thought has occurred to me but i would say no. take HIV for example, you can get exposed to it but the viral load wasn't enough to infect you. and if you were exposed to a virus but it didn't infect you then it was your innate immune system that stopped it from getting to your adaptive immune system.

i'm just totally guessing here. for example, young children don't really have a adaptive immune system yet. but they have a super innate one. any adaptive one would be passed down from their mother from anything she was infected with and anything the child had been infected with so far. a child may be exposed to a flu, but until they are actually symptomatically infected by it, their adaptive immune system hasn't learned to fight it. but what about the innate system, perhaps it learned? so you'd have to be knowledgeable how it works. and that's over my head to understand. i don't think it learns, that's why it's innate.

sadly i think it's the worse the infection, if you survive, the stronger your immune system will be in the future. for example, with the flu, you really want to have a bad case of it the first few times you get it. and that protects you for life. such a statement is heresy and controversial since they say the flu changes every year. but that is what natural infection does, if you survive, your body has learned to recognize all aspects of a virus. all it's epitopes (i think that's what it's called). so even if one part of the virus changes, other parts will still be recognized and mount an immune response. this is why only old ppl really need a flu vaccine, because their immune system got weaker as they got older.

if you were exposed but asymptomatic, it's because you were never infected and your mucosal and innate immune system was able to handle it. it's effectiveness depends on many factors. how many viruses have you been exposed to in your life. it's called hygiene theory. that's why i cited that nurse. that was her main point. but it happens early in life, it's not something you can do later. you want to be exposed to all these nasty things early, but not nasty enough to damage you. it's a balance. this is why ppl in flyover country think they are supermen. they have been around disease their entire lives. they have strong innate immune systems. whether it's strong enough to handle covid is another matter.

i would prefer to have a stronger innate system than an adaptive one. but just because you were exposed to covid and not infected doesn't mean your innate immunity got stronger, it just means it was strong enough to prevent infection. and it doesn't mean it will be strong enough in the future if exposed to higher viral loads. this is why wearing a mask is the most effective strategy. it may not block all the virus particles, but with the right mask worn correctly blocks enough to allow your innate immunity (if trained in youth, to be strong enough) to do it's job.

Comment

• it's almost a universal law. the earlier you learn something the stronger it's influence will be. like you are building something. no matter if it's positive or negative. for example, a person going out with a loving partner that has a child, that child grows up in a loving relationship and has faith and trust. in contrast, that same person later goes out with an asshole, and the next child grows up with distrust. and you have two siblings with opposite views. and the younger such influences are formed the stronger they are.

the funny thing about animals is the same law applies. my first cat was a stray for a little under a year. she was wild. i remember one of the easiest things i could communicate to her was when i was cold. everything understands cold weather. last night before i passed out i uttered i was cold and the cat jump on me like a fur coat. the short haired one. she's a ginger. for a cat. yes cats can be gingers too. they get cold easier. it's been proven in studies that gingers experience more pain at the dentist office. the calico is longhaired. and because she has xxy chromosomes, and is using both her x's, she's a supercat. i've seen them sleep, the calico wraps herself around her adoptive mother like a blanket in the cold. like a fur coat. the two of them work together, they are thick as thieves. the ginger is the ultimate social buttery fly, and the calico is the muscle. which is why i have to get a job, get out in the world aand buy a house and forget about covid and save them.

anyways, it's a universal law. like your immune system, the earlier you learn things the stronger it's influence will be. which is why i would be against mandating covid vaccines for children. a vaccine is reprogramming an immune system. and if it's not a risk, it's better to let nature do it and allow it to learn all of the viruses' epitopes. but children who are overweight or have preexisting conditions should be vaccinated.

i am glad i am not a parent and just have to take care of some stray cats.

Comment

• if you noticed any inconsistencies in my logic, it's because those are the very questions that keep immunologists awake at 3am.

Comment

• yet, perhaps i am completely wrong. the next generation of vaccines are given in the nose. presumably they are challenging the mucosal and innate immune system. so it does learn.

in military strategy, it's always better to extend your forces and create perimeters.

Comment

• off topic but overeating is a survival tactic. the calico has gained like 5 pounds. she's huge. and in the wild that makes a difference. she's always had the initiative, and all the tools needed to survive. i've seen her go up against situations. many cats come thru here. she's always the first line of defense. the ginger is the politician and diplomat, i try to put weight on her but i can't. when the ginger fails the calico steps in. it's a two tiered system.

the most important thing is, as a human, not to interject yourself in this situation; except for just running out of your RV at night with a flashlight when you hear some shit going on. otherwise with enough resources and occasional backup, the cats are adept at policing their world.

Comment

• straight talk, if you've ever brought an animal to a vet, you'll notice, every time, doctors are hesitant at first. this is their oath. and they are right. do no harm. in contrast, it's a lot easier to accidentally do harm to animals than people, but the law still applies.

Comment

• perhaps do no harm doesn't really exist anymore. or i live in a world, 20 years ago that no longer exists. i never paid much attention to oxytocin thing except that finding a morphine-like drug that wasn't addictive has always been the holy grail of medicine. surprisingly it's started in the late 60's or early 70's by hair replacement companies. Upjohn. i guess they survived and are a subsidy of Pfizer.

the holy grail of medicine. finding a morphine drug to relieve pain that wasn't addictive. and what is it, 100k americans died of it last year? i have no idea. i live in the past. in my world such things don't exist. i've never heard of oxycontin. so maybe i am barking up the wrong tree. and do no harm stopped existing 20 years ago.

Comment

• did you know that the way codeine works is that once it goes thru your liver it converts into morphine.

Comment

• what really confuses me. 30 years ago i went to the mall to buy a poster of a kandinsky painting. i can't remember the composition and good luck finding it. it had a crocodile biting a circle. lol. like, kandinsky, it had planets orbiting satellite's before they existed. so this fucking blonde chick goes in the store next to me and buys a poster of the movie the crow with Brandon Lee. and i still don't understand why. it was a horrible movie. i am sitting here w/o cable watching the comet channel playing it this month, and it's just not a good movie, even tho crows are totally awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                            did you know that the way codeine works is that once it goes thru your liver it converts into morphine.
                            No I did not. But that would make some sense on the addiction side of things.

Did you know that when you drink beverage alcohol around 2 to 8 percent is lost through urine, sweat, or the breath. The other 92 to 98 percent is metabolized by your body. All ethyl alcohol which is broken down in the human body is first converted to acetaldehyde, and then this acetaldehyde is converted into acetic acid radicals--also known as acetyl radicals. Acetaldehyde is a poison which is a close relative of formaldehyde?

Comment

what really confuses me. 30 years ago i went to the mall to buy a poster of a kandinsky painting. i can't remember the composition and good luck finding it. it had a crocodile biting a circle. lol. like, kandinsky, it had planets orbiting satellite's before they existed. so this fucking blonde chick goes in the store next to me and buys a poster of the movie the crow with Brandon Lee. and i still don't understand why. it was a horrible movie. i am sitting here w/o cable watching the comet channel playing it this month, and it's just not a good movie, even tho crows are totally awesome.
                              Bad movie good posters? Maybe she was Goth?

Comment

perhaps do no harm doesn't really exist anymore. or i live in a world, 20 years ago that no longer exists. i never paid much attention to oxytocin thing except that finding a morphine-like drug that wasn't addictive has always been the holy grail of medicine. surprisingly it's started in the late 60's or early 70's by hair replacement companies. Upjohn. i guess they survived and are a subsidy of Pfizer.

the holy grail of medicine. finding a morphine drug to relieve pain that wasn't addictive. and what is it, 100k americans died of it last year? i have no idea. i live in the past. in my world such things don't exist. i've never heard of oxycontin. so maybe i am barking up the wrong tree. and do no harm stopped existing 20 years ago.
                                There was never no harm.

Comment

Working...
                                X