Covid Vaccine thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
    This CV-19 crisis continues to be mismanaged by everyone. The Tokyo Olympics have just started. They really should have been postponed again, since the world is in the midst of another spike and even before that hadnt yet reached a truly manageable level. But since they decided to go ahead w it, both the IOC and the countries individual OCs, like the USOC, should have absolutely required that all participants be vaccinated or else be barred from attending. Of the 600+ US athletes attending, only 83% are vaccinated. Probably it's a similar figure for most other countries. It's amazing how much people in charge refuse to learn anything from this. We've seen the enemy and they are us.
    Yup, it's a disaster. Japan also mismanaged their vaccine rollout, which is amazing because they seem to be one of the countries that literally takes every germ seriously.

I agree, any unvaccinated athlete should have been banned.

I read an article on Bloomberg that said how much of an economic disaster this will be for Japan. Normally, the Olympics are a huge financial boon for the home country, and this will be the polar opposite without fans in attendance.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      Normally, the Olympics are a huge financial boon for the home country, and this will be the polar opposite without fans in attendance.
      I dont think this is true at all. I read a while ago that the last Olympics that were profitable were the ones in 1984 in LA. Countries and cities want them because it gives them a chance to show off their country or city to the world, so they have a value re: prestige and respect. But they dont make strict financial sense, at least not directly. When I went to the Atlanta games in 1996, I asked one of the spectators whether he thought the games were a good idea for the city. He said he figured that they wouldnt make money but that they spurred developments that were needed anyway, like improvements to the infrastructure. So they may have a value from that aspect also. But, yeah, the Tokyo games will be an even worse financial sinkhole than usual. I would expect the same for the Beijing games next year, which may be massively boycotted anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
        I dont think this is true at all. I read a while ago that the last Olympics that were profitable were the ones in 1984 in LA. Countries and cities want them because it gives them a chance to show off their country or city to the world, so they have a value re: prestige and respect. But they dont make strict financial sense, at least not directly. When I went to the Atlanta games in 1996, I asked one of the spectators whether he thought the games were a good idea for the city. He said he figured that they wouldnt make money but that they spurred developments that were needed anyway, like improvements to the infrastructure. So they may have a value from that aspect also. But, yeah, the Tokyo games will be an even worse financial sinkhole than usual. I would expect the same for the Beijing games next year, which may be massively boycotted anyway.
        Oh, it will be a major financial disaster for Japan, that almost goes without saying. Economists predicted no fans will cost Japan anywhere from $3bn to over $9 billion in revenues:

Top Japanese CEO says economic losses from no-fan Tokyo Olympics will be 'enormous'

Tokyo Olympics a financial disaster for Japan
        Despite being the world's third-largest economy, Japan will feel the financial burden resulting from the Tokyo Olympics for a long time, sports finance expert Kieran Maguire from the University of Liverpool told DW.

Fan-Free Olympics Leaves Hotels Facing 1 Million Cancellations

How Japan's Olympics Turned Into an Economic Disaster
        The cost has more than doubled to around £11.3bn, while experts say that Japan is unlikely to benefit much economically in the future

According to this table (it's Wikipedia, so take it for what it's worth), this says most Olympics are net winners:

2018 Winter: +$55m
        2016 Summer: -$2Bn
        2014 Winter: +$53m
        2012 Summer: ~0
        2010 Winter: +$2m
        2008 Summer: +$1bn
        2006 Winter: -$3.2m
        2004 Summer: -$14.5m

We're talking BILLIONS of dollars in losses for Tokyo.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Whether you can be infected after being vaccinated - definitely, you can. As you noted, it will be less virulent and severity is less. The lower virulence level also reduces, but does not eliminate, infectiousness.

If you've had COVID and not been vaccinated, studies have shown immune response roughly equal to vaccination. The premise is that re-infection rates are then roughly equal to those who are vaccinated and symptomology will be the same; however, that hasn't been formally tested and I doubt it will.

Per Vitamin D, I don't know a medical professional who isn't supplementing. B12 is trickier due to the allergy risks and some of the other potential side effects.
          I took vitamin B12 for the first time the other day and I totally felt life crap. can't say if that was the reason but I think it was. I know from my experience giving my cat methimazole and I panicked because her hyperthyroidism T4 level was 18.4 which is way up there and I was instructed to get the t4 levels low before they could give her radioiodine therapy to test for kidney loss, so I gave her 7-10 mg and she started to scratch the fur off the top of her head (which is one of the side effects) and hide underneath the sink from me. so I restarted with a small dose of 2.5 mg (which is still sort of high) and it worked, and then slowly worked my way up. i'll say one thing, those guys doing the radioiodine thing, really knew what they were doing. they gave her the perfect dose. I just eventually fucked up managing her after. at such a high t4 level, you want to keep some hyperthyroidism for kidney function and increased blood flow and then manage the t4 levels with drugs. it's a live and learn experience. of course I would have never been in that place in the first place if they originally had diagnosed it correctly. which would've been pretty easy if you went to school for it and it was your fucking job.

the ironic thing is the vets didn't understand how I got her to stop freaking out and scratching. and I told them I restarted with a smaller dose and built it up. which is totally pathetic they didn't understand how I did it. and this were people with advanced degrees in internal medicine.

so this is how I view and learn from the events in my life. it involves timelines and what I was doing with my cat at the time.

but who knew, vitamin B12 is an anti-virulent. that was news to me.

Comment

• I dread the day that anyone without a vaccine card will be a 2nd class citizen.

Comment

• look at it this way, we just fucked up the world to save 1 or 2% of the people. sounds like business as usually to me.

Comment

• I am unclear about the Chinese proletarian movement that seemed to be where George Orwell lifted so much material for 1984. was that the culture revolution? so who are the 'red guards' now? if I am correct that's when you start getting the younger generation to do your dirty work. I think I saw Biden issuing some recently similar edict.

this is how it all collapses, with thundering applause.

Comment

• democrats tell you

what to wear: masks
                  when you can work or cant: shutdowns
                  if you cant pay your rent: that's ok the government will tell you if you can or can't
                  if you can't feed yourself because of our policies, we'll give you food stamps, but you must obey us
                  you must get a shot in the arm of an experimental vaccine even if you are immune, and you must show a card to eat at restaurants or work or travel or go to movies.
                  we will control all these important aspects or your life. because 1 or 2% of the population that supports us wants us to do it.
                  we must fuck up 98% of the world to save the 2% that makes the rules, even if you are a proletarian immune to our digressions.
                  because we are totally out of control, and the only way we will feel in control is by controlling you.

range me all men in rows, the vaccinated and the unvaccinated.
                  an all men that pined to stand and clamored to stand in rows, even though they were immune
                  wept
                  and not knew the simplicity

Comment

• that's essentially the debate, big pharma is holding the world hostage. players that stand to make a meager billion is costing everyone else trillions.

Comment

• edit: the original video is so much better. Joe Walsh fucking rules.
                      Last edited by ; 07-25-2021, 06:05 AM.

Comment

• I sat outside drinking all night and 3 times an invading cat came up to eat my 2 cats food. we sat there and watched her. I am very proud of mah girls. we don't get into petty territorial shit. but it's great to see why the food I keep putting out keeps disappearing so fast.

and the invading cat didn't really hide it. and that told me, she's a mother. so I looked at my cats and said, if you want to perpetuate your species. yet, of course they are looking and like this bitch is related to me.

I get so much enjoyment from the animal world. the human world can go fuck themselves. heh

Comment

• clue, lets have some person or child in the world die and sensationalize it.

Biden is becoming a problem.

vaccine passports for everyone. just like France and Italy.

Comment

• im am going to have to go with Art on this one, or is that PGP, and watch you guys masturbate about that.

hey Biden, where's my fucking student loan forgiveness? meet the new boss, same ass the old boss.

I am a target now. ..fire away

Comment

• I don't know who you guys would choose as a champion, I would prefer to face Gith in the arena. if I make a mistake and have my head crushed I would prefer it to be him. for old times sake.

Comment

• it doesn't matter. the people you care about don't fucking read anyways. and the people that you don't care about do. which kind of makes the argument rhetorical.

Comment

Working...
                                X