Covid Vaccine thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Sorry you got it. I hope your symptoms remain mild. What vaccine did you take? The number of break through cases, especially of Pfizer, are alarming. It just doesn't seem possible at this point, with efficacy of transmission falling rapidly (much quicker than anticipated), that we are ever going to stop COVID from spreading to just about everyone eventually. So far, we can continue to hang our hats on the fact that at least when vaccinated folks get COVID, they are less likely to get as sick....for now. This thing is proving incredibly resilient. At this point, I hope natural immunity proves more robust than the vaccines, but that doesn't look all that promising either so far.
    Agreed, and thanks.

I got my 2nd Moderna dose on 3/26.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      Buckle up fellas, delta could care less about our vaccines. I tested positive today. Thus far, only mild symptoms (congestion and loss of smell) and thankfully both my daughters tested negative.
      Sorry to hear that...hope you recover quickly.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      ---------------------------------------------
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Agreed, and thanks.

I got my 2nd Moderna dose on 3/26.
        Geesh. Not even 6 months. It is crazy how quickly the vaccines, that looked so incredibly effective early on, fade in efficacy in terms of preventing infection, even symptomatic infection.

Comment

Geesh. Not even 6 months. It is crazy how quickly the vaccines, that looked so incredibly effective early on, fade in efficacy in terms of preventing infection, even symptomatic infection.
          Yeah it's a serious bummer. And I don't go out in public sans mask.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Yeah it's a serious bummer. And I don't go out in public sans mask.
            This is just insane. Vaxxed in April/May Moderna mask, distance and we're STILL susceptible to infection.

How are we ever going to get past this with all these moving parts seemingly in direct conflict with containment/elimination?

Really sucks ass.

PS. Hope you get past this quick DMT.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Buckle up fellas, delta could care less about our vaccines. I tested positive today. Thus far, only mild symptoms (congestion and loss of smell) and thankfully both my daughters tested negative.
              I hope you get well quickly.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

At this point, I hope natural immunity proves more robust than the vaccines, but that doesn't look all that promising either so far.
                I think the evidence so far shows the opposite, that the vaccines are more robust than the natural immunity from having gotten the virus.

Also, the general numbers I've seen from studies are that the vaccine knocks the chances of everything (infection, hospitalization, death) down by about 10x, which is huge, but also not the same as zero.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  I think the evidence so far shows the opposite, that the vaccines are more robust than the natural immunity from having gotten the virus.

Also, the general numbers I've seen from studies are that the vaccine knocks the chances of everything (infection, hospitalization, death) down by about 10x, which is huge, but also not the same as zero.
                  It is more significant for hospitalizations and deaths, which matter most, of course. But when infection transmission continues to rise with variants, and efficacy of vaccines in stopping infection fall off so rapidly, even greatly reducing infection transmission (even a 10x reduction) won't be enough to outpace the spread, especially if current indicators of pandemic fatigue are indicative of future behavior. Vaccination can continue to slow it and make it less deadly and harmful, which is really great and I am not trying to dismiss that, but it seems that they are not enough, even with much higher compliance, to stop this thing from spreading.

The fears this may just end up being endemic seem more and more likely to be realized. I wonder how long the current precautions people take will last. I just don't see most people masking and practicing social distancing forever. We couldn't even get many to do it for awhile. Unless something changes on the medicine side or the natural immunity side, I wonder how long it will take for most folks to just shrug, accept that we now can get colds, flus, and covid, and move on. The fact that covid is about 10x more deadly has kept people from doing that yet, but for how long?

Comment

• I know I've brought up this fairy tale before, and I know it is impossible, but I just can't help but think how we could completely eliminate COVID and all colds and flus from our species (until the next one jumps species), if we could only plan and execute a complete and total global three week quarantine. Spend the next year planning and preparing for a three week holiday for the planet. Make as many plans as possible to ensure everyone can lock down, make contingency plans for medical emergencies, and just all go full lock down for three weeks, and poof. All gone. But the logistics of it--it is beyond our capabilities as a species at the moment, even though it seems so simple.

Comment

That sucks, but man, thank the lord you have the vax. Hopefully it will do what it's supposed to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                        That sucks, but man, thank the lord you have the vax. Hopefully it will do what it's supposed to do.
                        Yep, so far so good. I actually feel a little better today and could taste the oranges I ate for breakfast.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

Yep, so far so good. I actually feel a little better today and could taste the oranges I ate for breakfast.
                          Unfortunately, you were eating Bacon at the time.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                            Man, hesitate for a second and someone snipes your joke...
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                              There is nothing unfortunate about eating bacon. Ever.

Hope you're feeling good, DMT. Is the horse deworming treatment working well?

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                                There is nothing unfortunate about eating bacon. Ever.
                                I wouldn't exactly call it fortunate for the pig, sir.

Comment

Working...
                                X