Covid Vaccine thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    Ghiroli has an article on the Athletic that mentions that the Astros are also mandating full-time employees be vaccinated. That is 3 teams out of 30 so far, and that number is only going to grow.
    Are major league players considered full-time employees?
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      Sounds like a CBA issue to be decided this winter (vaccines that is)
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

No, not under that policy. The player's association and the commissioner's office negotiated their health and safety protocols separately. This is more like employees the way you would normally think of it. Ticket sales, marketing, retail, ushers, concessions, administration, coaches, scouts, and so forth.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

No, not under that policy. The player's association and the commissioner's office negotiated their health and safety protocols separately. This is more like employees the way you would normally think of it. Ticket sales, marketing, retail, ushers, concessions, administration, coaches, scouts, and so forth.
          Got it, thanks!

Comment

Got it, thanks!
            And now that I think of it, the concessions people would probably actually be employees of a contractor, e.g., Aramark. So I don't know what the arrangement would be there.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• I'm eligible for the booster for the Pfizer and will get it next week.

Comment

I'm eligible for the booster for the Pfizer and will get it next week.
                Now you can get off the rail and we can go drink.....
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  Now you can get off the rail and we can go drink.....
                  Well, certainly, after you win!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    This study surprises me. The survey is of a large data set, so it is pretty telling, but the researchers haven't figured out exactly what it tells. There is a distinct U shaped curve for vaccinate hesitancy, with the most hesitant being Phds on one end, followed by no high school/high school diploma on the other end. So, Nullnor is in good company--the most vaccine hesitant population in the country is the most educated (though, not educated in medicine, as MDs have the highest vaccine rates, I believe, so that is telling--those with liberal arts degrees think they know more than than do, it seems).

In related news, this PhD and his Phd wife had some hesitancy at first, because we wanted more data on which vaccine to try to get. We ended up getting Pfizer shots, as that was all that was available around us, but we wish we had gotten Moderna, which looks like he is far more robust in protecting against infection than Pfizer. Maybe that is part of the reason other PhDs are hesitant? Obviously, any is better than none, but I am surprised and disappointed that two seemingly similar vaccines are diverging so rapidly and extremely in terms of efficacy at stopping infection. I understand that Pfizer continues to do well in stopping severe illness and death, but having two young kids, I really wish I had the vaccine that made it less likely that I could give the virus to my children.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...BnbfcL#image=1
                    And this study turns out to have been conducted on Facebook and beset by trolls who, perhaps not surprisingly, chose to self-identify as PhDs.

https://coronavirus.quora.com/Is-it-...ccine-hesita-1

Comment

And this study turns out to have been conducted on Facebook and beset by trolls who, perhaps not surprisingly, chose to self-identify as PhDs.

https://coronavirus.quora.com/Is-it-...ccine-hesita-1
                      That is what I get for trusting a Daily Mail article that did not identify how the study was conducted. Self-reporting polls on social media is garbage data easily manipulated by trolls. And the extremely high reported rate of PhDs was such an obvious clue, all the outlets that published this clearly did so as clickbait, as even a half-drunk, half-asleep editor should have caught what garbage data it was.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        That is what I get for trusting a Daily Mail article that did not identify how the study was conducted. Self-reporting polls on social media is garbage data easily manipulated by trolls. And the extremely high reported rate of PhDs was such an obvious clue, all the outlets that published this clearly did so as clickbait, as even a half-drunk, half-asleep editor should have caught what garbage data it was.
                        you let employees self identify, and you get half the company being senior management.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Ghiroli has an article on the Athletic that mentions that the Astros are also mandating full-time employees be vaccinated. That is 3 teams out of 30 so far, and that number is only going to grow.
                          Add the Cubs and White Sox to the list.

Also, the league office, per Ken Rosenthal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            I know there were several tongue in cheek responses since I asked this question but I honestly am interested in understanding the perspective here about how the FDA is politicizing ivermectin.
                            it has some antiviral properties at higher, perhaps unsafe doses. it is a so-called wonder drug, up their with penicillin maybe. it won a Nobel prize. than again, it almost seems like everything can be potentially used as the next snake oil cure. seriously, every day someone is publishing a new thing about a new cure. and they might not always be wrong. but it's the wild west.

but when you refer to something that has antiviral properties as a horse de-wormer, or citing vaccine fears of microchips, it's disingenuous. it's hyperbole. WHAT THE FUCK. the media has truly controlled the flow of information out of fear people are too stupid. and that would be fine if it were accurate. first masks were ok than they weren't or vis versa. than it was vaccinated back to normal, than not.

i have to wonder, maybe every politician owns stock in vaccine companies. what do they care, they make their money either way.

so a big fuck you to everyone. i still love you though. i wish everyone good fortune. this is what our country has devolved into. even in europe they take natural immunity into account, but not in America, because we are too stupid to sort it out. and we are.

you can't vaccinate your way out of this. you can't control the flow of correct or wrong information, any attempt of control makes it worse.

there's only one argument to be vaccinated. and that is for the people that can't be vaccinated. kids under 12, people who's immune system are compromised. at this rate you guys are going to be taking booster shots for the rest of your lives living in fear and backing yourselves into a corner. relying on big pharma to give you your next fix.

Comment

• you guys made your own echo chamber within an echo chamber. that's what i objected to. and i saw it coming. a person vaccinated can carry the same viral loads and be just as infectious as someone unvaccinated.. yet it's a disease of the unvaccinated. the vaccines don't inhibit the spread of infection. but you have to blame someone. this is a total cluster fuck with everyone acting like the sheep in Animal Farm chanting 4 legs good 2 legs bad when ever the repeating daily obligatory unvaccinated headline is written. there is no discourse, it's my way or the highway.

i helped you build this echo chamber, and then you built one inside the one i built.

i am not really comfortable being anti-vaccine. i don't think anyone should listen to me. i think they are pretty safe. i don't think there will be ADE problems. the vaccine puts the virus in a evolutionary weak spot. that's why they work, but works like shit. but they still work to lessen severity. it's really a miracle of medical science. if the virus changes too much to evade vaccines, the virus loses it's effectiveness.

i don't fault anyone for being randos about whatever position they take. i am an anarchist primitivist. the last guy you want to listen to is me.

btw my GF was a PHD. art science, i dropped out of high school with 5 credits after 3 years. but in life i kept up with her, until we got older and i was a liability. i love smart people. she was the smartest, kindest most patient person i ever knew and i was lucky and fortunate to know her. it made my life much better. we make our choices and life goes on.

don't rely on science to bail you out all the time, deep down people are selfish, incorrigible, self-centered and dangerous. don't be too Pollyannaish. but don't be too cynical either.

Comment

• healthcare has gotten a lot more efficient. but when they talk about the healthcare system being overrun, that is because they have less capacity than they did in the past with a smaller population. there is a lot of misinformation out there. it's for profit.

they didn't come up with a vaccine to save you. they came up for one to make money off you. they aren't in the business of helping you unless they make money. this isn't some altruistic adventure. and i am cool with that. but it is what it is. less beds now with more people than the past. i get it. and lets fire nurses and doctors, with natural immunity, that refuse the vaccine once we are in the clear. sure, it's a business.

what worries me is, i know you guys are so invested in your echo chamber, even if i made any coherent logical debatable argument or discussable point, you will say 4 legs good 2 legs bad. ..but i don't say this based on here, i am judging you from what i see everywhere else... i know you are better than that just based on the grace you have allotted to me over the years. but i worry. the force is strong out there today. fear is the path to the dark side.

Comment

Working...
                                X