2K21 Closer thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    He hasn't pitched well since 2017. He is worthless unless he gets saves. He was dropped when he went on "sabbatical" and is now available for FAAB next week.

Would any of you take a flier on him?
    Crichton has handled the job well in his absence, and got the save yesterday. It's possible Arizona is just a yuuuge RBBC, but Crichton appears to be the guy for now. If you have any room, sure stash him, but he probably doesn't have much value.

Comment

• Soria should be back any day now, and will bogart some or most SV.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        Soria should be back any day now, and will bogart some or most SV.
        Eh, maybe. Let's keep in mind Soria has a grand total of 21 saves since 2015. If the thinking is, well, let's build up his value for a July trade, is that really necessary with a soon to be 37 year old with 15 seasons as a reliever under his belt? He is who he is already, saves or no saves.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          Crichton has handled the job well in his absence, and got the save yesterday. It's possible Arizona is just a yuuuge RBBC, but Crichton appears to be the guy for now. If you have any room, sure stash him, but he probably doesn't have much value.
          Eh, has he really done well, though? I'd be itching for Soria to come back and reclaim the job if I was AZ.
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
            Eh, has he really done well, though? I'd be itching for Soria to come back and reclaim the job if I was AZ.
            Welp, he has pitched well for them over his 3 year ARZ career, and he is the only member of the pen besides JB to not allow a HR. He hasn't allowed a run in 8 of 11 appearances and hasn't blown a save. I'm not saying he *is* the guy for sure, but I don't see the upside in installing Soria into the job if the purpose is just to inflate his value for a mid-season trade. May as well see if they have a longterm closer here, and if he hits the skids, then turn to JB or Soria. Or just play matchups.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              Welp, he has pitched well for them over his 3 year ARZ career, and he is the only member of the pen besides JB to not allow a HR. He hasn't allowed a run in 8 of 11 appearances and hasn't blown a save. I'm not saying he *is* the guy for sure, but I don't see the upside in installing Soria into the job if the purpose is just to inflate his value for a mid-season trade. May as well see if they have a longterm closer here, and if he hits the skids, then turn to JB or Soria. Or just play matchups.
              Yeah, I'm a Crichton owner but his ratios have been brutal. At a minimum, he'd be a very nontraditional closer. I still think Soria gets the job back but we'll see. Not too sure Arizona really knows wtf they're doing in general.
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• well, with almost half of MLB teams, I don't focus as much on what they SHOULD do as much as what they will do.

crossthread with the Bengals not taking the best OL in the draft. they always always take the shiny object, nearly as much as the Raiders do.

Crichton's ERA is 5.00 this year and his xERA is 4.82, with 12 H and 4 BB in 9 IP with an OK 8 K.
                last year was 4.18 xERA vs 2.42 ERA - and we know which one is more predictive.
                he turns 30 early next spring training and velo is down a tick this year.

nobody here worth overleveraging an effort on. Dbacks 2022 SV leader may not even be here yet.
                hell, their 2021 V leader may not even be here yet!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  well, with almost half of MLB teams, I don't focus as much on what they SHOULD do as much as what they will do.

crossthread with the Bengals not taking the best OL in the draft. they always always take the shiny object, nearly as much as the Raiders do.

Crichton's ERA is 5.00 this year and his xERA is 4.82, with 12 H and 4 BB in 9 IP with an OK 8 K.
                  last year was 4.18 xERA vs 2.42 ERA - and we know which one is more predictive.
                  he turns 30 early next spring training and velo is down a tick this year.

nobody here worth overleveraging an effort on. Dbacks 2022 SV leader may not even be here yet.
                  hell, their 2021 V leader may not even be here yet!
                  I still think JB is the 2022 guy. Just not sure about 2021 yet, even though I think he gets there then too.

Comment

• be afraid, be very afraid:

6-5 Reds, top 6, but a leadoff double for Cubs so here comes.... Closer Doolittle, who allows the tying run to score.
                    that's ok because Reds get 3 for a 9-6 lead so here comes... Closer Sims in the top of the 7th. two outs and a 2-run HR later, and it's Closer Antone on for the final out.
                    Reds score 3 more to make it 12-8.

Closer Antone continues in the top of the 8th and an RBI single and a 3-run tater tie the score at 12.
                    Closer Hembree tosses a clean 9th.
                    Closer Garrett gets the ball in the 10th - with a runner on 2nd of course.
                    K, IBB, double steal, K.
                    Closer Hendrix brought in with 2nd and 3rd, 2 out to face ever-dangerous PH Jake Arrieta (LOL), who quickly whiffs to end the inning. actually Bell was trying to ensure that Garrett owners wouldn't get a W just in case.

sure enough, the Reds scrape the winning run off the game's only actual closer, Kimbrel.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Jake McGee pitching in a non-save opportunity at Coors Field. What could go wrong? RIP pitching ratios.

And i even posted previously in his thread about how bad McGee has always been at Coors Field but i left him in my starting lineup! Ughhh!
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• 05.05... Giants manager Gabe Kapler said Wednesday that Tyler Rogers could begin seeing more save opportunities.
                        Spin: It sounds like Jake McGee has been demoted from the primary closer role after getting lit up for four earned runs while recording only two outs in Tuesday night's loss to the Rockies. Dating back to mid-April, McGee has surrendered 10 runs -- eight earned -- over his last 5 2/3 innings. Rogers, meanwhile, boasts a 1.02 ERA, 0.849 WHIP, and 10/3 K/BB ratio through 17 2/3 frames this season. He's already tallied two saves.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Trivino 0.1 IP 5 ER last night for an ERA of 135. That is all.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

• Jake McGee in 8 save opportunities this season: 2.46 era, 1.09 whip, 11/3 k/bb

Jake McGee in 6 non-save opportunities this season: 9.54 era, 1.24 whip, 7/0 k/bb
                            Last edited by madducks; 05-06-2021, 02:15 PM.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                              Jake McGee in 7 save opportunities this season: 0.00 era, 0.49 whip, 11/2 k/bb

Jake McGee in 7 non-save opportunities this season: 10.80 era, 1.80 whip, 7/1 k/bb
                              That doesn't sound right.

He came in on 4/17 in the bottom of the 9th with a 5-3 lead and blew it, giving up 2 ER. How can he possibly have a 0.00 ERA in save situations?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                                That doesn't sound right.

He came in on 4/17 in the bottom of the 9th with a 5-3 lead and blew it, giving up 2 ER. How can he possibly have a 0.00 ERA in save situations?
                                You are correct.

Fixed. Still a contrast. But, not as much.
                                Last edited by madducks; 05-06-2021, 02:17 PM.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X