2K21 Closer thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Had no idea Tyler Rogers and Taylor Rogers were identical twins. They certainly don’t have the same identical delivery, lol.

Q1- has there ever been identical twins in baseball?
    Q2- has there ever been two brothers who were closers at the same time?
    There have been 10 sets of twins in MLB. I couldnt find out if any others were identical.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
      First thing that comes to mind is Jose/Ozzie Canseco for Q1.

They weren't closers obviously, although I remember Jose trying to pitch once.
      Ozzie used to do appearances as his brother, but they have different tats, so they got caught. To this day, I do not know if I met Ozzie or Jose at batting cages 20 or so years ago. He said Jose, but I think it was Ozzie.

Comment

• After walking the first two batters on Sunday, Aroldis Chapman got "a little help" from a game-ending triple play to lock down the save.

It was the third triple-play for the Yankees defense this season, which ties the MLB record.

Teams with 3 triple plays in a season:
        2021 New York Yankees
        2016 Chicago White Sox
        1979 Boston Red Sox
        1979 Oakland A’s
        1965 Chicago Cubs
        1964 Philadelphia Phillies
        1924 Boston Red Sox
        1911 Detroit Tigers
        1890 Rochester Broncos
        1886 Brooklyn Grays
        1885 New York Giants
        1882 Cincinnati Red Stockings
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Is Romano “the guy” in TOR now?

Comment

• DBacks were SO close to getting their first 'real' (non 3-IP blowout variety which happened once) SV since May 10 !

but they lead 5-1 in the top of the 9th, alas.

maybe next game!

and they are on a 6-41 "slump" since May 1 after a 14-12 April, so any W at all might get the champagne corks popping. Merrill Kelly with a gem tonight.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
              Is Romano “the guy” in TOR now?
              pretty much, yeah, tho that title doesn't mean what it used to ...
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Jose (7.8 BB/9) Alvarado has replaced Neris as Phillies closer for now. I expect this, unless Alvarado runs with the job, to be more of a "time out" for Neris than an outright losing of his job.

Comment

Jose (7.8 BB/9) Alvarado has replaced Neris as Phillies closer for now. I expect this, unless Alvarado runs with the job, to be more of a "time out" for Neris than an outright losing of his job.
                  And the Phillies also called up 33 year-old Neftali Feliz, who was pitching very well in AAA.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Jose (7.8 BB/9) Alvarado has replaced Neris as Phillies closer for now. I expect this, unless Alvarado runs with the job, to be more of a "time out" for Neris than an outright losing of his job.
                    Alvarado blows his 1st save attempt as the new Phils' closer, leading Neris to get the save in game 2 of their DH.

Comment

• gotta place some blame on the manager and alot of blame on Alvarado for not making an easy throw to 1st. Why call Alvarado up in the 6th for a 2 inning save? He had Ranger Suarez available to pitch the 6th and then Alvarado pitch the 7th to close it out.
                      Alvarado however looked really good in the outing - his slider was downright nasty for both innings and his FB was hitting 100. Got out of the jam Nola left in the 6th and would have had the save in the 7th but he blew an easy throw to first base for the first out of the inning that came around to score. ( He wouldn't have had to pitch to Lindor if he had made the easy throw to 1st). And, shouldn't Hoskins have been wearing his sunglasses? seems like he would have known during warm ups to begin the inning that the sun was going to be a problem ??

high throw to first.

Comment

• As the dust settles, who does the RJ see as the closer in Houston ROS, the have Pressly, Yimi, Graveman, Stanek
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                          As the dust settles, who does the RJ see as the closer in Houston ROS, the have Pressly, Yimi, Graveman, Stanek
                          I'm assuming the stick with Pressly, hoping for Graveman or a committee. Thinking they stick with the incumbent unless he struggles.
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Deadline Carnage
                            Updated July 31, 9pm

New
                            Floro/Bender(?)
                            Finnegan
                            Brothers/Winkler/Heuer/Thompson/(?)
                            Bednar(?)
                            Clippard(?)
                            Springs/Thompson/N.Anderson(?)
                            Duffey/Colome(?)
                            Sewald(?)
                            Sborz/J.King/Patton(?)

Traded But Still The Man
                            Kennedy

Dinged
                            Hendriks(?)
                            Romano
                            Kimbrel(?)
                            D. Castillo
                            W. Smith(?)
                            Pressly(?)
                            Hand(?)

Kaput
                            Suarez
                            R. Rodriguez
                            Y. Garcia
                            Graveman
                            H. Robles
                            Soria

Comment

Deadline Carnage

Kaput
                              Rodriguez
                              Source? The Monkey says RR's numbers have been better and Smith is not a lock to close.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                              Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                              Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

• This is Friday afternoon video footage from the Closer Monkey office.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X