2K21 Closer thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by harmon View Post
    I always wonder with Hader if this is the year they redeploy him. And this year especially with Williams lurking.
    I'd be surprised if they do redeploy Hader - but not surprised if he's traded to the Dodgers at some point, possibly before the season starts.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      I really don't mind spending on the elite ones, if I don't have cheap keepers. I really dislike spending on the middle tier options who might burn you. If I'm spending in the middle I'd rather spend on high talent and questionable role, rather than solid role and questionable talent. That's a change to previous years where I was happy to spend on the unchallenged, mediocre guy.
      This is my general philosophy. I hate investing heavily in mkd tier options. I also hate starting a season with zero closers in a saves league, but 4 of 5 for me moved to SV+HLD to avoid the increasingly frustrating volatility.

If I need to get lucky with RP's and FAAB FA's, its tough to thread that needle. But with a closer attrition rate as high as it is, any investment other than the elite closers are fraught with risk. Even the elites sometimes implode or get hurt, and I'll tell you... rolling with a $36 Kenley Jansen in 2019 in a league with a tight salary cap was not something I enjoyed.

I paid $30+ for Mariano Rivera many times through his career, but I've found closers much less reliable since that era. Imagine that!
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        All things Closer related are welcome.

I play in two 5x5 only leagues (1 AL and 1 NL). I do not believe in punting saves as I have not seen this very effective in winning the championships. How about you?

If you do buy or keep a closer what is the max you are comfortable with?
        Last year's AL Champion just traded for Chapman 26B.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
          ... I hate investing heavily in mid tier options. ...
          I felt really good going into last season with Roberto Osuna & Jose LeClerc, tho I had to get them at cost ... that worked out well ...
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

in a regular 5X5 H2H snake draft I draft the best closers I can. my philosophy is the best closers really contribute to good ratios while bad one's really hurt them. it makes no sense to chase one category at the expense of 2 categories.

also since it's H2H, you may have situations where your opponent has stud pitchers playing bad teams on a 2 week start and you conclude you can't win K's and wins so you try to just sneak in SV's, ERA and Whip depending on the minimum IP requirement.

I know it's not how you guys play or draft. the hardest part is drafting the right closers. I've been pretty good at it lately. I also value having roster spot flexibility and not have 2 players doing the work 1 player can do.

Comment

it also helps in these weak leagues if you pickup a decent closer on the WW, you can trade some studs. like 2 years ago when I traded Yates and Hand for Merrifield, which was an exciting get even if it didn't really work out. about halfway thru the season, managers start getting frustrated about saves and the best closers seem easiest to trade away to get a deal done.

the best closers 1) pitch great 2) solid job security 3) not injury prone. there's always at least like 5 closers like that.

I suppose the reason I play in leagues like this is I love starting over. hence no keepers and H2H. I might play/start a video game 100 times and never actually finish it just because I keep looking for the perfect beginning/game.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                in a regular 5X5 H2H snake draft I draft the best closers I can. my philosophy is the best closers really contribute to good ratios while bad one's really hurt them. it makes no sense to chase one category at the expense of 2 categories.

also since it's H2H, you may have situations where your opponent has stud pitchers playing bad teams on a 2 week start and you conclude you can't win K's and wins so you try to just sneak in SV's, ERA and Whip depending on the minimum IP requirement.

I know it's not how you guys play or draft. the hardest part is drafting the right closers. I've been pretty good at it lately. I also value having roster spot flexibility and not have 2 players doing the work 1 player can do.
                I mean, I know Hendriks will go up in price now that he's signed. But I'm looking at the group of players who WERE around him in ADP, and a lot of them, I'm underwhelmed and I'd just as soon take the dominant closer.

52 Grisham, Trent
                53 Hader, Josh
                54 Biggio, Cavan
                55 Guerrero Jr., Vladimir
                56 Springer, George
                57 Burnes, Corbin
                58 Alonso, Pete
                59 Lynn, Lance
                60 Arozarena, Randy
                61 Gray, Sonny
                62 Judge, Aaron
                63 Fried, Max
                64 Hendriks, Liam
                65 Carrasco, Carlos
                66 Lowe, Brandon
                67 Baez, Javier
                68 Lamet, Dinelson
                69 Voit, Luke
                70 Marte, Ketel
                71 Torres, Gleyber

Comment

I mean, I know Hendriks will go up in price now that he's signed. But I'm looking at the group of players who WERE around him in ADP, and a lot of them, I'm underwhelmed and I'd just as soon take the dominant closer.

52 Grisham, Trent
                  53 Hader, Josh
                  54 Biggio, Cavan
                  56 Springer, George
                  57 Burnes, Corbin
                  58 Alonso, Pete
                  59 Lynn, Lance
                  60 Arozarena, Randy
                  61 Gray, Sonny
                  62 Judge, Aaron
                  63 Fried, Max
                  64 Hendriks, Liam
                  65 Carrasco, Carlos
                  66 Lowe, Brandon
                  67 Baez, Javier
                  68 Lamet, Dinelson
                  69 Voit, Luke
                  70 Marte, Ketel
                  71 Torres, Gleyber
                  Weird, I have the complete opposite reaction - I can have one of THOSE players instead of just a closer. There are several names here I'd love to have, sign me up!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    Weird, I have the complete opposite reaction - I can have one of THOSE players instead of just a closer. There are several names here I'd love to have, sign me up!
                    Same here. I can get George Springer in the 4th round of a 15-team mixed league draft? Oooh, yeah, I'm on that. A quality SP like Gray, Carrasco, or Lamet in the 5th? Yup. Closers will wait.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

52 Grisham, Trent
                      53 Hader, Josh
                      54 Biggio, Cavan
                      56 Springer, George
                      57 Burnes, Corbin
                      58 Alonso, Pete
                      59 Lynn, Lance
                      60 Arozarena, Randy
                      61 Gray, Sonny
                      62 Judge, Aaron
                      63 Fried, Max
                      64 Hendriks, Liam
                      65 Carrasco, Carlos
                      66 Lowe, Brandon
                      67 Baez, Javier
                      68 Lamet, Dinelson
                      69 Voit, Luke
                      70 Marte, Ketel
                      71 Torres, Gleyber
                      There are only 4 players on this list that I would take ahead of Hendriks. Lamet is the only one below him on the list.

Comment

Jonathan Hernandez has a decent chance of closer for the Rangers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                          Jonathan Hernandez has a decent chance of closer for the Rangers.
                          This one is much less likely to happen due to salaries. LeClerc is going to get every chance to be the closer given his long-term contract. Why artificially inflate the future earnings for Hernandez when you can use someone who's salary is set for 4 more years?

Hernandez would need a few things to happen. LeClerc fails as closer. Hernandez performs the best in the bullpen. Then if the above 2 questions are satisfied, its still not a guarantee they go with him. What if Texas signs a veteran MR like Sergio Romo? You would assume he takes over as closer if LeClerc fails.

I just never trust a rookie to be given a clear path to the role.
                          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                            This one is much less likely to happen due to salaries. LeClerc is going to get every chance to be the closer given his long-term contract. Why artificially inflate the future earnings for Hernandez when you can use someone who's salary is set for 4 more years?

Hernandez would need a few things to happen. LeClerc fails as closer. Hernandez performs the best in the bullpen. Then if the above 2 questions are satisfied, its still not a guarantee they go with him. What if Texas signs a veteran MR like Sergio Romo? You would assume he takes over as closer if LeClerc fails.

I just never trust a rookie to be given a clear path to the role.
                            I agree with you, LeClerc will be given the first shot.

One small point of clarification, Hernandez isn’t a rookie.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                              I agree with you, LeClerc will be given the first shot.

One small point of clarification, Hernandez isn’t a rookie.
                              I should have said "I never trust a pitcher in their pre-arbitration years to be given a clear path to the role" to be more precise.

Comment

Closers have become so volatile - recently my strategy has been to spend auction dollars wisely - cheap or speculative guys, come out of the auction with 1 solid closer, and trade/FAAB saves after that.

In 2020 I overspent to get Rogers, grabbed Bass as a speculative guy, FAABed Dolis.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                                Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                                Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Working...
                                X