And so it has begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Yes, let's hope the "not batshit crazed conspiracists" Republicans finally overtake the "batshit crazed conspiracist" Republicans.
    That ship sailed a loooooong time ago. Your hopes are 100% misplaced.

Six Republicans who were present at the insurrection on 1/6 just got elected to public office. For Republicans, batshit crazy is a badge of honor, not shame.

Edit: 57 current Republican office holders were also participants in the insurrection, many of whom are back up for reelection soon.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
      That ship sailed a loooooong time ago. Your hopes are 100% misplaced.

Six Republicans who were present at the insurrection on 1/6 just got elected to public office. For Republicans, batshit crazy is a badge of honor, not shame.

Edit: 57 current Republican office holders were also participants in the insurrection, many of whom are back up for reelection soon.
      It is incredibly disheartening and downright frightening to think that the right in this country has and will continue to go down this dark path toward the destruction of our democracy. We should not ignore or minimize this significant movement within the GOP, or the danger it poses to our country. However, when I get too down about it, it is helpful to me to seek out those that I may fundamentally disagree with on many things, but that do not keep me up at night questioning whether American democracy will survive. The best place to find these is in long-form interviews and conversations where the interviewer is gently questioning and challenging the politician, and allowing them to speak in more than just soundbites. When that happens, a lot of folks that seem like nothing more than a collection of soundbites can sometimes surprise you and you realize they are not crazy, moronic conspiracy theorist that should never, ever hold public office.

Here is a recent example I encourage folks to watch. I sincerely wish all the Marjorie Taylor Greenes in the GOP were replaced with people like Crenshaw--not because I agree with Crenshaw (nearly all of his positions and many of his votes and his actions have been no different from what I see as the worst of the GOP), but because I at least trust him as having at least a basic understanding of the issues and more competent than far too many within the GOP have become, and I believe he is capable of having real conversations about real issues. We should aspire, above all else, to elect politicians that embody these two simple, most basic characteristics--competency and a willingness to engage in discourse at a reasonable level that relies on facts and not internet memes. The GOP's willingness to look past these characteristics to pandering, low-information, buffoons is a major problem for the party and our country. I can understand wanting to elect someone who thinks like you do, but in electing people like Greene, voters reveal themselves to be idiots.

Last edited by Sour Masher; 11-03-2021, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• And this is what the right fear:

It is incredibly disheartening and downright frightening to think that the left in this country has and will continue to go down this dark path toward the destruction of our democracy.

Both parties need to prevent the evil from winning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          And this is what the right fear:

It is incredibly disheartening and downright frightening to think that the left in this country has and will continue to go down this dark path toward the destruction of our democracy.

The difference is there is hard evidence the right is doing this and only empty rhetoric about the threat of the same on the left. Sure, there have always been extremists in both parties and heated rhetoric, but only one party has devolved into a cult of personality that puts party above country and is willing to embrace and celebrate the delusions of a charlatan who was the least qualified and least knowledgeable president the country has ever known. Do you think he spent 1/1000 of the time Crenshaw has thinking about the whys behind his beliefs? And yet he was the man the GOP elected as their leader and many insist still is their leader, embracing everything he stands for. He is the only true evil I see who has won. I'm not saying someone horrendous could not be elected as president and leader of the party on the left, but right now, this is not a both sides issue. This is an issue where an infection has taken root in one party and it needs to be dealt with by a coalition of sane people in both parties so we can go back to disagreeing about important issues based on a shared sense of reality.

Comment

I am not a huge fan of most of the Democratic party, but I don't recall Obama asking his VP to overturn an election.
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              I am not a huge fan of most of the Democratic party, but I don't recall Obama asking his VP to overturn an election.
              It's not "overturning" when you actually won, as proven FORENSICALLY.

Comment

Nor do I recall Democrats storming the Capitol when the Supreme court ruled in bush/gore.
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                  It's not "overturning" when you actually won, as proven FORENSICALLY.
                  Close to 20 experts agree
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Nor do I recall Democrats storming the Capitol when the Supreme court ruled in bush/gore.
                    And for all the social media whining about Russian Interference I don't think the Dems tried to overturn Trump's election.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Won't it be nice when we get two real good candidates (one from each party) so we do not have to pick the lesser of two evils?

Comment

Won't it be nice when we get two real good candidates (one from each party) so we do not have to pick the lesser of two evils?
                        Not holding my breath for that...but that is a lot different from your earlier comment regarding what the right fears
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

And for all the social media whining about Russian Interference I don't think the Dems tried to overturn Trump's election.
                          As I recall a lot of them said they were going to leave the country...I do not think that happened.

Sometimes people say things in the heat of the moment that they really do not mean. Fear causes some strange behaviors.

Comment

Not holding my breath for that...but that is a lot different from your earlier comment regarding what the right fears
                            Oh I don't know. I was just reporting what I hear from the righties. I did not say I agree with them.

Comment

As I recall a lot of them said they were going to leave the country...I do not think that happened.

Sometimes people say things in the heat of the moment that they really do not mean. Fear causes some strange behaviors.
                              Ok...if your point is that both sides have fears about fair elections, I agree. My point was that one sides fears are not reality based.

We can switch topics to social media and threats to leave the country I suppose
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I guess one thing that would help the discussion is if you pointed out why the right wing has these fears. Aside from fake news, why would they think that ?

Edit: nevermind, I guess you are just pointing out that the right wing believes a lot of conspiracy stuff. I agree
                                Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 11-03-2021, 03:49 PM.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X