Cubs! I am very sad at you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
    I started to say something like this myself. Hosmer is costing them only $720K or so so he's neither here nor there financially, but he does clog up the roster while he's there. Mancini was terrible offensively after going to the Astros and is terrible defensively in the OF so he's not a realistic option there. He could bounce back but he has no upside and he's costing them $10 mil this year and further clogs the roster. Wisdom, who they seemed to like last year, is now on the bench. He strikes out a ton and hits for a low average but he hits HRs and provides good defense at 3B. I dont know what they see in Morel who is their projected 3Bman this year other than he's young and has upside. I dont know what the Cubs are doing. If they're playing for this year, they havent signed anyone noteworthy towards that goal. They should be rebuilding. Mervis looks ready for MLB. Maybe they feel he could benefit by another half year or so at AAA but the Mancini signing seems like a headscratcher to me.
    According to Ownership speaking from the Cubs Convention this weekend, they see winning the division as a reasonable goal for this year. A stepping stone to bigger things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      According to Ownership speaking from the Cubs Convention this weekend, they see winning the division as a reasonable goal for this year. A stepping stone to bigger things.
      Cubs won 74 games last year. To make the playoffs, they probably would need around 88 wins. They added Swanson and Taillon. Last year, they had a combined 7.7 fWAR. But Swanson had a career year last year. Even if they both have another year as good as last, that gets them to only around 82 wins. That's maybe enough to get on the fringes of contention. But FG Steamer projects Swanson and Taillon for only 5.3 combined fWAR this year. That's only 79 wins. Maybe they could still be close enough to make a playoff run.

I was kinda with them before the Mancini signing. I dont see where his signing improves them. Mancini had only 0.9 fWAR last year and Steamer project only 0.8 this year. He basically seems to be replacing Wisdom in the lineup. Wisdom had 1.1 fWAR last year. Mancini provides no defensive value. And he is costing them $10 mil whereas Wisdom cost $730K last year and probably would be a similar amount this year if they keep him. And Mancini is causing Mervis to go back to AAA, a guy that might actually improve their playoff chances. Just seems to me like a half-hearted, partly incompetent attempt to contend when they arguably should be rebuilding.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
        Cubs won 74 games last year. To make the playoffs, they probably would need around 88 wins. They added Swanson and Taillon. Last year, they had a combined 7.7 fWAR. But Swanson had a career year last year. Even if they both have another year as good as last, that gets them to only around 82 wins. That's maybe enough to get on the fringes of contention. But FG Steamer projects Swanson and Taillon for only 5.3 combined fWAR this year. That's only 79 wins. Maybe they could still be close enough to make a playoff run.

I was kinda with them before the Mancini signing. I dont see where his signing improves them. Mancini had only 0.9 fWAR last year and Steamer project only 0.8 this year. He basically seems to be replacing Wisdom in the lineup. Wisdom had 1.1 fWAR last year. Mancini provides no defensive value. And he is costing them $10 mil whereas Wisdom cost $730K last year and probably would be a similar amount this year if they keep him. And Mancini is causing Mervis to go back to AAA, a guy that might actually improve their playoff chances. Just seems to me like a half-hearted, partly incompetent attempt to contend when they arguably should be rebuilding.
        Yes which is why I am still very sad at them.

Just a side note. Mervis has always been slated to start the year in the minors. They are hoping he will be ready to go at the All Star break.

Wisdom will be a bench player they like Morel to be a super UT.

Comment

Well, it is probably the weakest division in baseball. So, they have that going for them.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Wouldn’t Wisdom play most of his games at 3B? Last year he logged 105 games at 3B and only 18 games at 1B (with 14 appearances in the OF).
            2021 Auction Anatomy
            2021 Keeper Decisions
            2020 Auction Anatomy
            2020 Pre-Auction
            2015 Auction Anatomy
            2014 Auction Anatomy
            2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
            RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post

Mets maybe?!?! Ha! They won 101 last year and just spent big while picking up (not losing) draft picks. Nothing is guaranteed but they deserve better than maybe.
              maybe,....
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Wow, the Cubs are suddenly a playoff contender! Color me surprised.

Cody Bellinger for MVP?
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Since the Mets and Padres couldn't buy their way into the post-season, the Cubs are still in the playoff hunt.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                    Since the Mets and Padres couldn't buy their way into the post-season, the Cubs are still in the playoff hunt.
                    Dansby Swanson over here wondering why his $177 million doesn't even count.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post

Dansby Swanson over here wondering why his $177 million doesn't even count.
                      Dansby Swanson thinks he took a discount to come to Chicago. Ha.

Half kidding aside he has a really good glove and is fun to watch in the field. From a fantasy perspective I don't think I will be keeping his $30B contract next year.

Comment

• The Cubs have stated that they are going to be big buyers in the Free Agent Market!! Woo Hoo...not Stop talking and just sign talent!

Comment

The Cubs have stated that they are going to be big buyers in the Free Agent Market!! Woo Hoo...not Stop talking and just sign talent!
                          I think that resigning free agent Cody Bellinger should be their top priority.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Stroman opted out!
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

The Cubs have stated that they are going to be big buyers in the Free Agent Market!! Woo Hoo...not Stop talking and just sign talent!
                              They just spent a lot of money ($40 million/5 years) making Craig Counsel the highest paid manager in baseball.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post

They just spent a lot of money ($40 million/5 years) making Craig Counsel the highest paid manager in baseball.
                                Can he lead off?

Brilliant PR move by Cubs. Only cost them $8m instead of the $25m for a top bat.

Kidding aside this was a shocker. It is going to take a bit to sink in.

Comment

Working...
                                X