Cubs! I am very sad at you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    Strong rumor that the Cubs are going to go hard after Jose Abreu. Seems like the I am very sad at you season is starting early.
    Heard Boston was interested in him, also. He made admirable adjustments this year to best adapt to his power decline - which is reaching the acute phase - but I really wonder at age 36 when he starts next year how long he can maintain the BA/OBP gains he made this year.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Congrats to Ian Happ on his Gold Glove. 13 defensive runs saved. Next closest was Tommy Pham with 3.

Happ has one more year remaining on his contract...your move Cubs.

Comment

This from Gordon Wittenmyer:

SAN DIEGO — The Phillies are why you try.

The Phillies are why the Cubs have no excuse.

In fact, they have no excuse like never before.

Like no offseason before.

Maybe like no week before this one,

Because if the Cubs don’t go big during the Winter Meetings they might as well go home.

Amen Brother Gordon!

Gordon Wittenmyer is NBC Sports Chicago's Cubs Insider after spending over a decade covering the team for the Chicago Sun-Times.

Here is a link to his most excellent article https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cu...ngs-or-go-home

Comment

Tallion and bellinger.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Bellinger is a gamble, but he could pay off big. That ballpark is great for him, assuming he can make contact.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
              Tallion and bellinger.
              This is nice filler, but not the talent or the splash that fans are hoping to see.

One could say there is still time, but we have seen this pattern before. And it disappoints.

Comment

are the cubs close enough that they should be spending big money to try to win this year ? Seems like they are a few years away and maybe next year or the year after are when they should spend their money. I think they are more than a couple free agents away from being competitive.
                ---------------------------------------------
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                  are the cubs close enough that they should be spending big money to try to win this year ? Seems like they are a few years away and maybe next year or the year after are when they should spend their money. I think they are more than a couple free agents away from being competitive.
                  The best shortstops are now and getting long term contracts. Ownership cried poor mouth and did not spend . Now is the time to show fans they are serious about rebuilding. That can include steps to getting competitive. They did not sell out opening day at Wrigley last year. They have said they will spend money this year and they wanted a top 4 SS. Two are gone. Go get one now!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    The best shortstops are now and getting long term contracts. Ownership cried poor mouth and did not spend . Now is the time to show fans they are serious about rebuilding. That can include steps to getting competitive. They did not sell out opening day at Wrigley last year. They have said they will spend money this year and they wanted a top 4 SS. Two are gone. Go get one now!
                    I guess I don't see the urgency, but hope the Cubs make some moves to be competitive in the near future. Good Luck, hope they don't make you sad at them!
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      ...Now is the time to show fans they are serious about rebuilding...
                      Rebuilding? Spending on hi-priced free agents is not my idea of rebuilding. I guess you could say that you can rebuild thru spending but if they were going to use this method, why did they let Bryant and Baez walk just last year w/o getting anything for them? Seems to me that they would be changing paddles in the middle of the stream to start spending big now. Spending your way to prosperity sometimes works in baseball but often fails miserably.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                        I guess I don't see the urgency, but hope the Cubs make some moves to be competitive in the near future. Good Luck, hope they don't make you sad at them!
                        NL looks tough for the next 5 years or so. Philly and SD are all in, LA is always a contender, Braves are stacked, Mets maybe? I think it would be tough to build from scratch and compete in the next 5 or so.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                          NL looks tough for the next 5 years or so. Philly and SD are all in, LA is always a contender, Braves are stacked, Mets maybe? I think it would be tough to build from scratch and compete in the next 5 or so.
                          yeah, that's what I see. As a Mariner fan, I'll just say "the waiting is the hardest part"
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                            Mets maybe?!?! Ha! They won 101 last year and just spent big while picking up (not losing) draft picks. Nothing is guaranteed but they deserve better than maybe.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                              And yet the owners and upper management say they are going to spend big money this year to make the Cubs competitive in 2023.

They seem to have misjudged what it takes to sign top free agents in this economy. Their top three preseason targets were a top shortstop, Abreu, and Senga. So far 0-2 with two SS off the board.

I was disappointed that with all the FA rumors around there has been no noise with Rodon.

Senga was to be their big spend on starting pithing. Now that he is off the boards I am shocked not to hear of any rumors of an interest in Rodon. They are making a mistake by not going after him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                                And yet the owners and upper management say they are going to spend big money this year to make the Cubs competitive in 2023.

They seem to have misjudged what it takes to sign top free agents in this economy. Their top three preseason targets were a top shortstop, Abreu, and Senga. So far 0-2 with two SS off the board.

I was disappointed that with all the FA rumors around there has been no noise with Rodon.

Senga was to be their big spend on starting pithing. Now that he is off the boards I am shocked not to hear of any rumors of an interest in Rodon. They are making a mistake by not going after him.
                                Pirates ownership tells Pirates fans every winter that they too are going to try to be competitive. They will say anything to sell tickets. And then they go out and sign washed up veterans and trade their best player for a couple of lottery tickets.

Sorry Gregg, but the Cubs are being run just like the Pirates and A's now.
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X